Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost positive that the roll bars on my 2006 SLK 350 were actually a VERY SOLID metal. And they were bolted a bunch of places to the car. Looked very substantial, if I'm remembering right.

But during the install of smartTop, I was surprised that the "roll bars" in the SLC were plastic. I hope it is a strong plastic. I suspect they changed in order to cut down weight, but I really wonder about the strength of those. Luckily we usually don't roll over.

Do others remember the same thing of the old SLKs and is there any concern about these plastic ones?

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,048 Posts
There is more plastic parts on a 172 than a 171 model
And id imagine the slc under the plastic roll bar there is metal but of honeycomb structure ??

unlike the early slk .

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If there was metal under the plastic, I'd be very surprised. Even if it were, it would be very thin. And to be clear, I'm not talking about the part that is visible and behind your head. I'm talking about the part below that. It was a kind of honeycomb plastic. Made of a bunch of triangular sections. I should have taken a picture. Maybe the mod4cars installation pictures show it.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
No, it's a reinforced plastic beam structure designed to give some protection in the event the car rolls over. The windscreen surround is the main roll protection.

But let's be honest here, if you roll your SLK, you're pretty much f#%*ed. So even if it was a massive steel structure it wouldn't help much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.