Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get home from a work-related trip from S. Korea and start my 172 ( which has been sitting for 10 days). Four unrelated warning lights appear! I’m thinking there is no way that all of this went bad sitting here. I drove around and none of what was indicated was acting up. My code reader said right wheel sensor was bad. I went to my favorite tech and he said the rats or squirrels have chewed through my harness! Damn gremlins! He resoldered everything and replaced all parts moved to get at it, all works fine now. $553. Lesson: spread red pepper flakes/powder or peppermint oil-soaked cotton balls around to deter these guys.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,227 Posts
I get home from a work-related trip from S. Korea and start my 172 ( which has been sitting for 10 days). Four unrelated warning lights appear! I’m thinking there is no way that all of this went bad sitting here. I drove around and none of what was indicated was acting up. My code reader said right wheel sensor was bad. I went to my favorite tech and he said the rats or squirrels have chewed through my harness! Damn gremlins! He resoldered everything and replaced all parts moved to get at it, all works fine now. $553. Lesson: spread red pepper flakes/powder or peppermint oil-soaked cotton balls around to deter these guys.
I think some use mothballs and those sheets you use in the dryer.

I think @LeonardoDaBenz uses this?
I do and have to assume it works as I've had no rodent issues. Just be careful to not put them on plastic parts. Over my winter (6 mo or so) they stick to the engine cover and it's an awful chore getting the residue off.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
693 Posts
My neighbors had the same problem when rats chewed the soy-based insulation from wires in their brand new Subaru. Very costly repair.

I won't allow food of any kind near the hangar or the garage and I use a repellent spray.

I have no qualms about killing the little monsters. I buy rat poison by the bucket.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, good feedback. I didn’t think of the dryer sheets. We use that here to effectively repel mosquitos. Another good use! Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts