Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not in the SLK but in a Renault van.

Set off at 04:30 on Thursday morning East Sussex UK. Dover England , ferry to Calais, France, Mons and Charleroi, Belgium, Luxembourg, luxembourg. On to meerzig, Karsruhe, Stuutgart, Ulm and Kempten in Germany, Innsbruch in Austria via the Fernn Pass. Brenner pass to Italy, through Modena, Pescara, Bari and Brindisi. 9 hour ferry ride to Igounomitsa in Greece and an hours drive to Preveza where our boat is parked. Arrived 05:30 Saturday morning. 11 hours on ferries and 2500 km driven in 35 hours ( 2 hours lost to time zone changes )

Route was intended to miss out high French toll charges, take advantage of cheap Luxembourg diesel and miss the Swiss road tax carnet charge. Unfortunately the tolls to travel the length of Italy came to €71.

Not to bad for a 100 000 mile, 85 horsepower, 13 year old diesel van loaded with around a tonne of boaty bits and only one ( slightly mad ) driver :)

I use a spot tracker to record the track and convert it to KML or gpx files.

Normally I'd go on a ferry from Venice but this time i went the long way ...... for laughs!

About the same overall distance as LA to Little Rock over roads with straight sections rarely longer than a mile at a time!

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Strangely enough, I've done a nearly identical trip in a Renault (Kangeroo!!) van a couple of times taking ship parts to Piraeus, when I used to run a marine electronics company. I used to get the ferry from Brindisi to Patras.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strangely enough, I've done a nearly identical trip in a Renault (Kangeroo!!) van a couple of times taking ship parts to Piraeus, when I used to run a marine electronics company. I used to get the ferry from Brindisi to Patras.
Venice to Igounomitsa is much less stressfull. Minoan lines stopped the Veice route and now operate out of Trieste. End of the season I'll come back that way I think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts