Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
* Registered
2012 SLK 350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I am planning a road trip from Delaware to Utah for the summer. Total distance is 2200 miles, about 32 hrs straight driving time in my newly acquired 2012 350 SLK. Besides usual tune up, fluids, tire check etc, anything else to consider to prep the car for the trip?

Next question - what would you recommend to take along for comfort and mechanical issues? I will be traveling with my spouse so right now the biggest challenge is getting the luggage to fit while still being able to put the top down. I will probably be limited to the glove box as she will take over the trunk. I just purchased a behind the seat organizer from Lusso, only $20.00 USD. I'm trying it out now and it seems to be a good choice for small items storage. I may purchase another for the other seat.
What are thoughts on tools?

Any experienced road warriors out there? Looking forward for your input

·
Super Moderator 2013 SLK350
2,125 Posts
We did 475 from MD to MA when we purchased the SLK. And this past summer we did another 1200 mile round trip MA-->NY-->MD-->NY-->MA. Most of the drive was top down since it was summer and good time to enjoy the fresh air and the open roof. You are equipped right... there are threads here for R172 road trips that suggest how to pack and fit your luggage in the trunk and still have your roof down when you need/want to... @Trev5 or @Windinmyhair for example...

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
17,729 Posts
There are suit case "packages" sold exclusively for SLK's but are fairly pricey (but then, what isn't 😉 ).

I've got two carry-on type suitcases that fit with a bit of room to spare. Also, take out the "false floor" and you can fit more smalls in the (old) spare tire space with the suitcases on top. You can move one or both seats further forward in the cabin (if your height will allow) and put stuff between the seats and the bulkhead.

Can't find my pen so my fat finger will have to do 😉
basically 2' long, 14" wide and 10" deep. I can fit 2 of these in with ~ a foot or so on the side to spare. No room front to back though (they fit long side front to back). A coat or two can fit ON TOP of the shade when pulled and the roof can still retract with no issue. Make sure the coats are soft with no buttons or zippers on top (it will contact the glass but will not impede operations, as long as they aren't too big).
iMarkup_20210402_110705.jpg

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,373 Posts
The gents mentioned are pros at packing.
I use two/three holdalls and then put a handy tool roll (including Torx Allen keys & a few Torx spanners) to either side but make sure anything else put on either side doesn't foul the hinges for the cover so I can use the roof.
Same place is handy for some shoes. Make use of the spare wheel space too.
Not sure if 12 still got the space saver or the gloop spray, but there is space in there either way.

Again, not sure if you have the shelf across the very back of the trunk, but I find that handy for light clothes and shower proof kit.

Also handy, if going more remote, roll of Gorilla Tape and a couple of metres of bailing wire.
I don't like the MB air pump (historically they blew fuses) so I use a small one from an auto store and a key ring tyre pressure gauge (get used to pump/gauge readings before you go).

If you have one, don't forget to use the small cargo net alongside the passenger bulkhead.
The door pockets will hold an amazing amount too.

Like you, I get the glove box. Amazing how many Tees, socks and shorts you can fit in.

Enjoy (and write up) your trip.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
3,138 Posts
Much covered already but add a 'Tyre string repair kit', a folding multi tool and a small multi screwdriver set with assorted heads/tips - have a look at accessible fixings to get an idea what types would be useful.
Assuming original jack but add a telescopic wheel wrench. Heavy duty polythene sheet is useful if needing to get on the ground.
I have two 'carry on' cases that fit well but make sure that any voids behind them is used. - coats, jackets etc.
I always carry at least one car blanket and, apart from covering Windinherhair's knees when it is below zero, is good for putting over stowed luggage to keep extraneous items out of the roof mechanism - loose laces and string pulls can get caught.
Generally small, soft bags use the space most effectively as they will squash into voids.
Vacuum bags are really good if there is access to a vacuum device at each overnight stop.

Be careful to prevent anything getting caught in the trunk lock mechanism.
Oh, and don't forget to utilise the 'secret' compartment behind the passenger seat....

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,373 Posts
good for putting over stowed luggage to keep extraneous items out of the roof mechanism - loose laces and string pulls can get caught.

Be careful to prevent anything getting caught in the trunk lock mechanism.
Oh, and don't forget to utilise the 'secret' compartment behind the passenger seat....
A VERY good point.
Keep handles etc well clear of boot/trunk lock.
Absolute nightmare to free.

OH managed to get a carry strap caught. The time and yoga positions needed to free it are not to be repeated.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
310 Posts
As stated get a air compressor that will work. This is what I have and comes in very handy. You have space down where the spare tire is if you have one. Mine does but not sure where I would put a tire if I got a flat, so some run flat stuff. Look at CFM and go high. We have an Rv and mine will fill the 22.5 tires due to a higher CFM,

·
Super Moderator 2013 SLK350
2,125 Posts
Last time I was stranded driving an SLK, the serpentine belt broke on my 55 AMG, leaving me stuck in the middle of the Arizona desert. And if you've driven on those roads (between San Diego CA and Tucson, AZ), lots of patches with zero cell phone connection, so one can get really stuck and helpless... no credit card or scotch will help :p . Thankfully, in my case a border patrol car showed up and radioed for a tow truck for me. Phew!

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
126 Posts
The worst thing that ever happened to me on a road trip was when I was towing an RV with my Silverado. It was about 9 years old at the time. One of the pulleys failed and shredded the serpentine belt. Ever since then I have been religious about replacing the idler pulley, tensioner pulley, and belt on every car I own. Easy to do on the 171, not sure about the 172. Just pull the radiator fan and you have a ton of room to work.

Most car parts stores will loan you the basic tools so I would not take anything bulky. Be able to change a spare tire and inflate it.

·
* Registered
SLK350 R172 (2012)
14 Posts
What a great thread for us newbie's (y)

Mines got the space saver tyre but as there'd be no room for the one coming off on a road trip - what's the point? Is it better it comes out to be replaced with the gloop spray etc then? :unsure:

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
3,138 Posts

Mines got the space saver tyre but as there'd be no room for the one coming off on a road trip - what's the point? Is it better it comes out to be replaced with the gloop spray etc then? :unsure:
Unless, in the event of a puncture, either the passenger or wheel make the forward journey by taxi...........

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
126 Posts

I had the rear tire fail catastrophically on my 280 less than a year ago. Nothing left but the sidewall. A can of goop is no help in that situation. I would personally never remove the spare and I have replaced the doughnut spare with a full size spare in other cars I own that have the room.
If you did have to put the full size wheel somewhere you could put it in the trunk with the divider up and tie the trunk lid partially closed until you got somewhere to fix it.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,545 Posts
We've made the trip of 900 miles each way from Florida to Pennsylvania and back a couple of years ago. We found a couple of medium back packs fit really well,
With some room for jackets and small stuff. I haven't carried tools to repair stuff for more than 50 years... I just found I've never really needed them. Btw I've driven across country from coast to coast several times...cell phone and credit card gets it done...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
17,729 Posts
I just found I've never really needed them. Btw I've driven across country from coast to coast several times...cell phone and credit card gets it done...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
And AAA/CAA (y)

·
* Registered
2013 SLK 250
68 Posts
-Fold a $50 and put it in your wallet... if your card isn’t working somewhere, that will.. (emergency cash)

-Have a multi tool in the glovebox (so you can McGuiver things in a pinch or protect yourself in a “these hills have eyes” scenario)
-Small Flashlight
-Echo on what others said for the run flat, re-fill can.
-Have a couple of spare fuses (works well with aforementioned flashlight)
-Have a good playlist or it may get to something like this:
- mobile phone charger
-Drive your car close to empty (in your gas tank) so you know what it looks like if never done before

-check the tread on your tyres...
- before getting on the highway.. - make sure your tyres are pumped - the heat will make them go a bit bigger on long stretches, lower them by one psi before highway driving. or if not doing that, just have them at manufacturer specs.

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
256 Posts
Some fabulous hints and tips here. I am prepping for NC500 and have seen/read many stories on this journey. This is our first epic long tide out in the 55. I like to plan an prepare and have the normal usual stuff in the car with me but the tips here have been extremely useful and eye opening - thanks to all that have submitted experiences/tips

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,373 Posts
Some fabulous hints and tips here. I am prepping for NC500 and have seen/read many stories on this journey. This is our first epic long tide out in the 55. I like to plan an prepare and have the normal usual stuff in the car with me but the tips here have been extremely useful and eye opening - thanks to all that have submitted experiences/tips
Might be some stuff for you here, from the SLKWorld NC500 tour that @Garfalls ran.

I also have a pdf that we used if you want it. Has routes and petrol on it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts