Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
363 Posts
Why not, just make sure that the cruise control is working and all the fluids are good.

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
574 Posts
I'm sure it will appreciate stretching it's legs. Mine always seem to run better the more they are used. As above, make sure it gets some pre-trip level checks, tyre pressures etc and enjoy your trip!

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,122 Posts
I'd rather do 500 miles in the 55 than our SUV, even though both are comfy.
Oh, yes!!

I have some back problems. It's not so that it affects my life (too much), but it IS a MASSIVE problem when driving. I frequently drive 50-100 miles (1h30m give or take). That's not even a long distance, but in the Skoda I feel more dead than alive. Back hurts. But(tocks) hurt a lot. Legs hurt even more!

In the SLK, I drove for four hours straight and only had to stop because the dash cam I had didn't have enough memory for more, so I had to stop and copy all files over to my laptop. Which took ten, fifteen minutes.

But I felt REFRESHED (!!) after those four hours. And I sat in it while I was moving the files from the dash cam, because it was more relaxing that go out and stretch my legs and back..

Granted, my SLK had quite soggy suspension, eleven years is apparently all it took :). So it'll be interesting to see how different it'll be with the new YSR suspension :).

·
*Registered
2017 SL400
1,456 Posts
Oh, yes!!

I have some back problems. It's not so that it affects my life (too much), but it IS a MASSIVE problem when driving. I frequently drive 50-100 miles (1h30m give or take). That's not even a long distance, but in the Skoda I feel more dead than alive. Back hurts. But(tocks) hurt a lot. Legs hurt even more!

In the SLK, I drove for four hours straight and only had to stop because the dash cam I had didn't have enough memory for more, so I had to stop and copy all files over to my laptop. Which took ten, fifteen minutes.

But I felt REFRESHED (!!) after those four hours. And I sat in it while I was moving the files from the dash cam, because it was more relaxing that go out and stretch my legs and back..

Granted, my SLK had quite soggy suspension, eleven years is apparently all it took :). So it'll be interesting to see how different it'll be with the new YSR suspension :).
Do you have your seat in the Skoda properly positioned? Not saying you, but most people I observe driving cars do not have their seats correctly set up.

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
38,660 Posts
Totally agree with Rory.
If you have not adjusted your seat in several drives then try it if you feel any discomfort.

Different coats, shoes, moods all require a tweak.
Think like this.
*Stand up straight and note your position.
Now stand as if on parade.
That slight difference is enough to cause discomfort when seated on longer drives.

* not whilst in the car ;)

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,122 Posts
I do have them adjusted properly. But they're just bad. I've driven a lot of cars over the years, quite a few brand new. But they're all bad in one or the other. For me. To hard, to soft, to wide .. etc.

The 55 have bucket seats, they're different even from the 350. I just sit very well and they're just exactly right.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
410 Posts
Oh, yes!!

Ok going major off topic. I had a 2005 skoda octavia like yours. I could not drive it for an hour because my my legs were not supported. Also no way to tilt the cushion in the desired way. I then raised the front of the driverseat rails 25 mm with filling plates under the rails and using 2 longer bolts. Never had that problem again.

I love the ride in the 55. I do weeklong roadtrips with 6 hrs a day of driving and it is all fun and no pain.

@BlackPanter350: Enjoy your trip. You and your 350 will love it!

·
*Registered
2017 SL400
1,456 Posts
Totally agree with Rory.
If you have not adjusted your seat in several drives then try it if you feel any discomfort.

Different coats, shoes, moods all require a tweak.
Think like this.
*Stand up straight and note your position.
Now stand as if on parade.
That slight difference is enough to cause discomfort when seated on longer drives.

* not whilst in the car ;)
A fat wallet in a back pocket can also cause back problems.

·
*Registered
2017 SL400
1,456 Posts
Is it good for engine long distance driving 900kms each way?
Are you allowed to travel interstate yet? I have friends in Sydney and Brisbane and they are both complaining about not being allowed to travel.

Funny how attitudes to trips differ between Oz (lived in Brisbane for 8 years) and here. A guy that worked for me thought nothing of driving from Gold Coast to Sydney (~1700km) & back to visit his mother over a weekend. We were the same in SA when I was younger . we thought nothing about doing a 1100km round trip (down from Jo’burg on Saturday and back on Sunday) for a night out in Durban.

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
38,660 Posts
A fat wallet in a back pocket can also cause back problems.
Wife does not allow me a wallet.
To be fair, that's not accurate. She ensures that my wallet is never thick enough to bother my posture. :ROFLMAO:

Are you allowed to travel interstate yet? I have friends in Sydney and Brisbane and they are both complaining about not being allowed to travel.

Funny how attitudes to trips differ between Oz (lived in Brisbane for 8 years) and here. A guy that worked for me thought nothing of driving from Gold Coast to Sydney (~1700km) & back to visit his mother over a weekend. We were the same in SA when I was younger . we thought nothing about doing a 1100km round trip (down from Jo’burg on Saturday and back on Sunday) for a night out in Durban.
Amazed how often I get asked if there are events local to members. When I say an hour away they ask if there's anything nearer.
One member got upset at another meet being held about 4 hours away, yet never travelled more than an hour to an hour and a half themselves.
We have great cars. 900 miles in two days is a joy, not a burden.

·
**Premium Member 2018 SLC43
4,153 Posts
Did quite a few 500+ miles in a day drives in My old R171/350 (y)
Speedometer Odometer Light Trip computer Gauge

My only additional tip apart from the fluids is to try and inspect the tyres a day or so before (tricky to see while on the car, so just roll the car forward a few times) for any metal objects that shouldn't be there....
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Getting a puncture with a boot/trunk full of luggage is "not Ideal"....

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
217 Posts
Just got back from 3 days at the Bruce McLaren Motorsport Park in Taupo . Which is 2 1/2 hour drive one way . Friday morning drove down and entered no worries , stayed in Taupo overnight . Saturday morning drove to the track , only to receive a 'no covid passport , no entry ' . Kicked the bro out and said your on your own mate . Drove home , picked up my passport, drove back , entry sweet. Stayed in Taupo overnight. Sunday last day at the track drove home. So about 800 kms covered this weekend, cruise control set at 110km/h . Since there is a lot of traffic travelling at 80-90km/h , I gave the Supercharger plenty of chances to pass that traffic . Top down driving is just the best thing. Got a wave from a R172 and a SL R129 , both going the other way , no time to stop and chat sorry

1 - 20 of 26 Posts