Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered 2015 SLK55 AMG
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“The (USA) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates over 94% of car crashes are caused by human error. About a third of these can be linked to road rage causes or road rage itself, such as speeding, changing lanes without signaling, tailgating, illegal maneuvers. Mar 29, 2018.” What makes road rage in the USA even more dangerous is that a high percentage of all drivers carry a gun in their car.

I would like to know if road rage is common in other countries, and if any SLK drivers have had personal experience with road rage. I would also like to know if any SLK drivers have any recommendations on how to avoid road rage or how you should deal with road rage.

According to what I read on the Internet:

In New South Wales, Australia, road rage is considered an extremely serious act. Any person who chases another motorist or shows intimidating and/or bullying towards another road user can be charged with predatory driving, a serious offence that can leave the culprit in jail for up to 5 years. Offenders can also be fined A$100,000 and disqualified from driving, whether or not he or she intended to harm the victim physically. If the predatory driving results in a physical assault or harm, and/or the victim's car was intentionally damaged, penalties can be much more severe.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
737 Posts
I've had a few instances of pickup trucks (Because Texas) attempt to cut off or chase because of some (unknown) previous action on my part that they did not like.
Depending on conditions I've accelerated out of range (CLS63 vs slow truck) or decelerated out of range (see truck coming at a significantly higher speed on a different lane, brake when they are close enough and let them keep on). Had only had one pickup continue to try to engage, maybe if I had a pickup I would fit in better?

Frequency wise I would say once per year, which for me is usually 10-15k miles.

Separately from that, I find with the SLK people get urgent need to race you (Anything from corollas to corvettes), likely the noisy exhaust...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts