Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full story https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50713616

The "immense" rise in sales of high-emission sports utility vehicles means they now outsell electric cars in the UK by 37 to one, research has found.

As a result, overall exhaust emissions from new cars have been increasing, not declining, for the past three years, says the UK Energy Research Centre.

SUV sales are jeopardising the UK transport sector's ability to meet EU emissions targets, it said.

Prof Jillian Anable of the UKERC said this made "a mockery" of UK policy.

"Effectively, we have been sleepwalking into the issue," she said.

"The decarbonisation of the passenger car market can no longer rely on a distant target to stop the sales of conventional engines. We must start to phase out the most polluting vehicles immediately.

"It is time to enact a strong set of regulations to transform the entire car market towards ultra-low carbon, rather than focusing solely on the uptake of electric vehicles."

·
Super Moderator
24,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"It is time to enact a strong set of regulations to transform the entire car market towards ultra-low carbon, rather than focusing solely on the uptake of electric vehicles."

Typical response. Not getting their own way, make a legal change.

·
'Silkie Growler'
237 Posts
I’m a petrol head. There’s a bit of me that’s really quite concerned that it’s going to get harder and harder for me to justify owning a toy that spews shit out into the atmosphere.

But then, Putting my foot down and driving fast round corners is the safest dangerous sport that I know. It’s also a feasible one for me. At 61, I’m not going to take up skiing or bungie jumping for example and anyway, I can’t just do them any time I like, day or night.

Yes, it’s selfish, but it’s our generation’s selfish - future ones will find their own.

It’s all about the, ‘Gs’.

·
Super Moderator
24,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For me it is easy.
Give me two cars, mine and an exact replica electric (you can actually do this for $$$, a firm does this for 'classics').

I'll be taking the V8 out just the same.
Even with faster acceleration, sorted range, charge points etc, I prefer the V8.

Selfish? Maybe.
But I have worked all my life, paid my dues and more, so make my choice.

Take my 55 away and I'll be back on bikes. No question.

Note:-
Both bike and car have 50% occupancy.
Delivers me to exactly where I want, with no need to swap transport and carry baggage.

Compared to most other transport.....
5 seater car, empty/occupied taxi/bus/train (outside rush hour).

I feel green enough in my petrol engines.

All those windfarms (mostly eysores) and they do not scratch the surface of what is needed.
Who wants nuclear next door to them.

I do not remember a single taxi/bus journey that made me smile, ever!
For those that join us on tours, how about we try an electric mini bus next year?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
For those that join us on tours, how about we try an electric mini bus next year?
Feck right off 🤣 :ROFLMAO: 🤣

Ya all should know my view on EV's ..................

Let's be honest, more modern (like Catalysed EFI Petrol and Common Rail Diesel) Engines are way more efficient and cleaner than any Politician / Tree Hugger !!

Just because it ain't got an Exhaust Pipe don't mean it don't pollute in far worse ways during it's construction, charging and destruction :(

And "whatcha gonna do when the lights go out" as all the EV Drivers get home and plug in ??????????????????????????????????

What about the fact that all the Fone / Face idiots will walk out in front of the silent killers, .................

Oh wait, some bright spark came up with the idea of a noise generator up to 10 mph or some such rubbish 🤣
It ain't gonna kill ya at 15mph now, but at 30 + hell yeah :(

Europe and the folks in charge disgusts me, whole world has gone mental :(

Case Rested ;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
What makes my blood boil is advertising for electric cars - ZERO EMISSIONS - might be whilst you are driving but what about the generation of electricity to charge the thing!

The UK is only just holding its own with the amount of electricity is can supply. Saw somewhere calculations of power requirements is we all drove electric cars and no way is there the ability to supply this much power.

Yes pollution needs to be reduced but is only fair if all countries reduce otherwise those that do will be at a disadvantage to those who do not.

·
Super Moderator
24,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What makes my blood boil is advertising for electric cars - ZERO EMISSIONS - might be whilst you are driving but what about the generation of electricity to charge the thing!
Zero out of the exhaust, perhaps.
But tyres wear, lubricants age.....
The whole thing reminds me of the demise of Betamax.
The youngsters haven't gone through this official push on topics before.

Diesel is good for you 'should' be recent enough for them to view on their phones/watches/glasses.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
It was VAG that helped significantly with "Diesel Demise" due to their fake / dishonest / forged / fraudulent / lied / mis represented (delete as appropriate) Emissions figures :(

What boiled my 'P' with that particular scandal was that I had been paying more Road Tax for years on my CDI MB's than VAG :poop: Drivers who's Engines were actually emitting more than my CDI's

Meh !!

Who's gonna pay me back for that ..............

Yeah, right ;) ..................

Like many folks I'll get nada :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
For all those with R170 & 171's - Your just fine, the CO2 to make a "new" car in Sunderland far out weigh's any extra pollution You might be creating...

What makes my blood boil is advertising for electric cars - ZERO EMISSIONS - might be whilst you are driving but what about the generation of electricity to charge the thing
Totally agree, when I see this while out walking our dog...

The UK is only just holding its own with the amount of electricity is can supply. Saw somewhere calculations of power requirements is we all drove electric cars and no way is there the ability to supply this much power.
Check out this link at 6pm, for where our UK Electricity is coming from:

It was VAG that helped significantly with "Diesel Demise" due to their fake / dishonest / forged / fraudulent / lied / mis represented (delete as appropriate) Emissions figures :(

What boiled my 'P' with that particular scandal was that I had been paying more Road Tax for years on my CDI MB's than VAG :poop: Drivers who's Engines were actually emitting more than my CDI's
And the powers of be at the EU who forced people over to Diesel in the first place, new about the fiddle a few years before the scandal became public, but didn't want to inconvenience VAG...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts