Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there I'm about to buy a new wheelset for my 171 200kompressor

I have a conflict inside between a more conservative choice, like a set of amg replica or a more aggressive and "unseen" for an slk more track streetracer oriented set......like ch syle, bbs replica or some sort of ultraleggera

car's color is black, white interiors, i dont like the totalblack look, i also like gold just worried it may be to "chavvy"

here are the top finalist

amg replica

ch style

bbs replica, silver or gold...

team dynamics

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,269 Posts
I used to have something like the CH style BBS wheels on a black Golf R32, and I liked them...

although I do really like the BBS reps you've posted a pic of too (in silver), as well as the ones that Craige provided the ebay link to too (which I think look like the wheels that come with the SLK performance pack) :tu:

·
Banned
801 Posts
I'd only put on BBS. Most of the replica wheels are junk.

You don't have to spend a lot of money. There are lots of older BBS wheels floating around on Craigslist, car forums, and other places.

BTW, wheel restorations are pretty cheap to do.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Regardless of the style or brand of wheel you consider, there is one key criteria to consider beyond the usual matters of bolt pattern and offset. That criteria is weight. Replica wheels are almost always heavier than brand-name wheels, and often larger diameters than stock are heavier too...it all depends on the method of manufacture. Heavier wheels increase unsprung weight, which reduces fuel economy and more importantly makes the suspension work harder and often less effectively. More unsprung weight will reduce a car's willingness to brake and turn as it was designed to do. Fitting lighter wheels makes a car more lively, but lighter usually means more expensive construction methods like forging instead of casting...and the more expensive production methods are more likely to be used by the better-known and higher-quality brands.

·
Fanatical Owner
272 Posts
Years ago I was driving on 18" Lowenhart BR5 chrome wheels. I then bought 19" Rial Lugano(black) wheels. And currently I have a set of brand new 20" Vossen CV3 with the Graphite finish just waiting for my car to come back from the body shop :)

·
Fanatical Owner
272 Posts
Once I get my car back from the body shop I will post lots of pictures! ;)

·
Banned
801 Posts
Oh the Horror!

I've just got to pipe up when it comes to wheels. So many people ruin the look of their rides with hideous tasteless choices!:frown:

First, no bigger than 18", no chrome, or spinners! Any of this stuff is ghetto! You have a class vehicle, so you should buy a class brand wheel. My choice would be BBS. My favorite is the CH-R, but you'll have to check sizes:

BBS USA - Road Wheels & Race Wheels

Yeah I know some of them are expensive, but if you check prices carefully compared to the replica junk about twice as much for some and others a reasonable premium.0:)

Also, if you look around, you can find some great deals on used quality rollers!:nerd:

·
Fanatical Owner
272 Posts

·
Banned
801 Posts
The best wheel for your Benz is an OEM! There are several websites that offer used OEM wheels for BMW, Mercedes, and others. Here is one of them:

Replacement Factory OEM Aluminum Alloy Wheels

The above wheel selection is for a '10 SLK 350, mine. Now Mercedes wheels are interchangeable between models, but you have to do your homework. You need to know the offset, bolt circle, wheel diameter, and rim size. A warning, within a model like the SLK, a 55 wheel doesn't fit a 350.

These companies recondition the wheels. Usually just for minor flaws. They toss bent or cracked wheels and usually offer a warranty. There is a huge savings too in money. For example, $600 will buy you four turbine wheels, the Sports Pkg, which is small money for the real deal.

Speaking of the real deal, the phony two-piece wheels are ridiculous. All of those hideous dummy bolt heads really look ridiculous. Here's another place:

Mercedes Benz Wheels

Keep your Benz all Benz!

·
Fanatical Owner
272 Posts

·
Fanatical Owner
272 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts