Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

SLK 55 AMG UK R171

I reversed polarity by mistake with a battery booster pack this morning.
:(, new battery put in after.

However...
Reverse lights are now on all time even with key removed, have tried 30 min disconnect but no change. Rest of functions seem ok - remote, heater, lights, drives fine, though no command(no power on screen) , have not reviewed fuses yet.

But reverse lights are electronic fuse? fault lies with front SAM sending constant signal?

Any help much appreciated

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Hi Snowx, welcome to the forum from NE England (via Lytham(just got back from Crewe)).

It's a shame your first post after nearly a year here has to be with a problem.

I'm surprised that your charger actually connected 'reversed' - most chargers nowadays have 'reverse polarity protection' built in - to prevent precisely this type of problem.

I suspect you are right about the front SAM being faulty, hopefully John (UK-C200) will be along shortly, and with his vastly expanding knowledge of R171 systems, should be able to confirm this, or point you in the right direction.

BTW, did you connect your charger directly to the battery, or use the +ve terminal under the red cover by the front offside (UK cars - RHS) strut tower, and a convenient earth - the distance from this to the battery allegedly helps snub(slightly) any spikes induced by the charger.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Ouch - never a good thing. Reversing lights are a combo of both the front and rear SAM's, and yes, are electronic, not fused.

I'd say leave the car disconnected overnight, and try reconnecting in the AM - otherwise your battery will probably be flat anyway..

When you say "no COMAND" - you mean it won't power on at all?

Couple of thoughts - try your rear fogs, see if they come on at all, same with front fogs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Woolly, I must remember to come round on my good days too ;)

To the booster's credit, it did make a tone sound and then start to produce smoke...lots... though no explosion :tu:

Connection was direct to the battery.

Any idea on front SAM costs? or options for isolating the reverse / numberplate lights in meantime?

IIRC someone else was able to resolve multiple error issues by pulling out a CAN connection/s? is this worth attempting? and how would one go about it.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi John,

Thanks will leave it disconnected, COMMAND won't power at all, will review the fog light situation in the morning.

Cheers

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Hi John,

Thanks will leave it disconnected, COMMAND won't power at all, will review the fog light situation in the morning.

Cheers
Yeah, at 4:30am, best bet is to just leave everything disconnected. Normally all the CAN modules are reset after 15 minutes with no power, but it's worth a shot.

I'm also 99% sure there is a separate fuse on the back of the COMAND head as well, I'll look in the am to check.

Don't remember the prices on either SAM - but for some reason don't think they are insane, but not cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.