Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered 2007 SLK350
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over last two days I have been retrofitting powerfold mirrors on my 2007 SLK 350.

Some issues, comments

My car is fitted with Memory option, and both mirrors adjust to seat memory recall.

The purchased passenger side mirror had memory function, but driver side did not!
So first task was re-wiring the mirror loom for memory function.
Memory function needs both a new mirror motor assembly, as well as loom.

I had the bonus that the driver side mirror supplied had the dimming function, though the glass was going a bit bronze in colour. Testing it showed it was working, so fitted that as well.

Assembled both mirror assemblies, tested and fitted to the car.

Went through all post here on programming, and came up with a list of things to change

CONTROL UNIT GROUPS ---> BODY ---> CGW ---> CONTROL UNIT ADAPTATIONS --->READ CODING AND CHANGE IF NECESSARY ---> MIRRORS

Change MIRROR HOUSING ADJUSTMENT to PRESENT

and

INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION --> IC-->DIAGNOSIS TO PLANT SPECIFICATIONS --> CONTROL UNIT ADAPTATIONS --> VARIANT CODING

Scoll down the list towards the bottom for MEUN12 and set to ENABLE
but his did not produce a menu item, nor did the mirrors fold.

Found the CGW menu item 25 also needed setting, which gave the dash display menu option, but still not working.

Also found
CONTROL UNIT...BODY...SYSTEM DIAGNOSIS...CONTROL UNIT ADAPTIONS, SYSTEM DIAGNOSTICS...READ CODING AND CHANGE IF NECESSARY...FOLDING OUTSIDE MIRROR and changed to FITTED

Still not working.

Could not find any coding options for the Door Control Modules

Went onto diagnostics for each door control module, and tried to operate from there, and could enable an output, but the mirror didnt move, and no volts from DCM (both sides), so I guess I am concluding the DCM's are not compatible.

Anyone with another idea?

Just for completeness I have also added an internal rear view mirror with auto dimming, and enabled this in STAR

BODY ---> CGW ---> CONTROL UNIT ADAPTATIONS ---> READ CODING AND CHANGE IF NECESSARY ---> ALL CODES

Change Interior and Exterior mirror dimming to PRESENT
Not found how to test this yet, so do not know if this is working either.

Now for a final check for today :)

·
Registered 2007 SLK350
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a good result, hope someone can help :rolleyes:

Nothing works :(

No folding mirrors, can activate from DAS DCM but they dont move, no power from module.

The display in the dash menu is OK, after enabling Menu 25 and Menu 12 in the instrument cluster.

Also interior dimming mirror is displaying a communication fault with the overhead communication panel.

Going to check part numbers now for the modules and see what they show up.

·
Super Moderator (UK)
31,546 Posts
Give the guys a chance, Peter.

They've helped others retrofitting.
I didn't bother posting the diys, as you have already checked them.

I'll add one more expert to that list.
@Dave2302

Hope you guys are doing well.

·
Registered 2007 SLK350
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No Problem, just adding information as i discover it ;)

Just found out there are two different DCM's, one suports powerfold, the other doesnt.

Guess which ones i have ?

Mine 1718205226

other type 1718200626

If you look at these pictures in plug 2 you can see two pins missing in the 5226 version!

:cautious::sneaky:

I guess thats my problem then

·
Super Moderator (UK)
31,546 Posts
I'll leave the mentions, just in case.

·
Registered 2008 SLK200
41 Posts
Hi! I don’t want to create another topic just for a few questions on a subjects that has been already discussed. However, I cannot find some answers. My car is a R171 facelift and I recently bought an auto-dimming rear view mirror (the parcel is still in transit).

1. I also want to buy the side mirrors with auto-dimming function. I can only find the driver-side mirror with auto-dimming. I know that on EU-spec cars I should find both mirrors with auto-dimming. Did they change that on facelift models?

2. Do I need to rewire something or is it just a simple mirror swap? I am talking about side mirrors with auto-dimming (not the interior one). I know it is necessary to code them, but I am concerned about correctly mounting them.

3. Can anyone provide the part number for these mirrors (facelift)? What I found:

- left side with dimming and heating:
A1718102121
- right side only with heating:
A1718101421

Thank you!

·
Registered 2008 SLK350
99 Posts
I'll stay around here, since I'm interested as well.

Hi! I don’t want to create another topic just for a few questions on a subjects that has been already discussed. However, I cannot find some answers. My car is a R171 facelift and I recently bought an auto-dimming rear view mirror (the parcel is still in transit).
How did you chose the reference? AFAIK there are at least two of them (maybe three) depending if having rain detection and/or interior lightning.

1. I also want to buy the side mirrors with auto-dimming function. I can only find the driver-side mirror with auto-dimming. I know that on EU-spec cars I should find both mirrors with auto-dimming. Did they change that on facelift models?
There are two different references (sorry I don't know them) if only because "driver-side" means different in UK (strange that the right side is the wrong one :LOL:) but then, as you say, only driver-side gets installed.

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
16,340 Posts
There are two different references (sorry I don't know them) if only because "driver-side" means different in UK (strange that the right side is the wrong one :LOL:) but then, as you say, only driver-side gets installed.
Just remember: left or right refers to the driver in his position. Your left hand is left side of the car when the driver is in his seat when looking forward. Makes no difference which country you are in.

Just an example: you get in front of your car looking towards the windshield. The right side of the car is on YOUR left. For everyone.

Reactions: IVv

·
Registered 2008 SLK200
41 Posts
How did you chose the reference? AFAIK there are at least two of them (maybe three) depending if having rain detection and/or interior lightning.
I found a post here with a part number for later SLK models with light package: A1718101417 . I searched it on eBay and found one. I made an offer and now I am waiting the package from Latvia. I hope is the right one. In worst case, I saw that the base can be swaped with mine.
Then, it would be a possibility to buy a left-side mirror with auto-dimming (for LHD markets) and a right-side mirror with auto-dimming (for RHD markets). But I don't know if the necessary cables are there. I wonder if the facelift was equipped with both exterior mirrors with autodim function or not.

·
Super Moderator (UK)
31,546 Posts

·
Registered 2008 SLK200
41 Posts
Maybe I misled you by posting here. I'm interested in autodim mirrors. I already have mirrors that fold automatically. My questions are strictly about the mirror itself.

·
Super Moderator (UK)
31,546 Posts
This is not for door mirrors, but may give more info that helps (eg coding required)

Reactions: IVv
1 - 14 of 14 Posts