Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Time consuming but doable. You need cooperation from the dealer though. STAR programming is no longer a DIY task.

Attachments

·
Registered 2011 SLK250
582 Posts
I just ended up replacing the mirror frames with the ones that have the required wiring and plugs.

What I did differently is that I also removed the speakers, which for some reason, MB engineers thought it was a good idea to fix them with blind rivets.

(Removing them is simply done using a drill (sounds more scary than it actually is))

By doing that, I had the chance to actually see the mirror frame wiring, and remove it, without the need to attach a cable to them, which I would use with the new wiring, to pull it back into the door.

Like this, I was able to do all the wiring manually, making sure that I wouldn't damage the plugs.

It's worth mentioning that the wiring of the mirror frame goes in zig-zag inside the door (hence why I was afraid of damaging the plugs if I removed them with an attached wire), in order to avoid hitting the window going up and down.

So be sure to pay extra care when putting the wires back, you have to put them behind the rubber which brings the water inside the door (YES INSIDE THE DOOR!!!)

By removing the speaker, I was also able to clean all the gunk that built up inside the door, due to all the water that went in there.

I installed the speakers back using some 1.2cm screws that I duct taped from within the door.
I added some rubber nuts as well on both end of the screws, which adds the benefit of absorbing vibrations of the speaker sound that would otherwise transfer into the door.

Next, I need to wait for a reply from Steve Krabbenborg (for those of you who don't know, he handles SCN coding and is an all knowing MB guru), to confirm the rest of the sensors/computers that I will need to buy.

·
Registered 2011 SLK250
582 Posts
Why not rivet the speakers back in?
Simple: Next time I work on the door, and need the speaker removed, I won't have to bring a drill with me.

(Plus I bought a riveting tool and some rivets, and they didn't work well, so I returned them and used screws instead).

Looking at those rubber nuts, I have total confidence that it's much better and much more practical than with the rivets.

·
Registered 2011 SLK250
582 Posts
I have now done the retrofit of the Blind spot sensors in the rear bumper.
The whole process took a little longer than 3 hours (took me 2 days to disassemble and reassemble the car).

Some things to note:
- After inspecting tons of pictures of rear bumpers which have BSA brackets, I guided myself to glue my brackets in regards to the top corner of the bumper (as seen in the image).

- WIS is saying that the power wire should go to front SAM, port 5C, pin 9 (as seen in the image).
- JudgeMing and Xentry diagnostics said to check the power cable in rear SAM, at fuse nr 59. Fuse spot was already used up, while pin 9 in 5C was available.
- Both places use a 5 AMP fuse
- My wiring came with a connector pin, not a fuse holder
- I therefore did as recommended by WIS

I did the coding through Vediamo, but I things are not yet functional.
Mirror LEDS do light up, if actuated by Xentry, but communication with the sensors is not working.
I suspect either:
- Vediamo coding is not sufficient, I have probably missed something in the plethora of parameters, will have to do the SCN online coding
- The used sensors are for Distronic + BSA, so probably they require to communicate through the Distronic controller, and not directly with the Central Gateway (as is the current case)
- The second-hand sensors are defective

I have of course ruled out the 12V power, and the continuity of the CAN wires (3.5 Ohms resistance).

One thing to note, just as JudgeMing, my color codes of the wires were black/brown and black (for the CAN cables).
I have discovered that these are the color codes for Distronic.
Unfortunately, since the Distronic control module goes in the passenger footwell, and that's where the wires are supposed to connect, for Distronic, the length of the wires was too short, so I had to solder an extension.

I have of course also tested the connection to the sensors before doing the wiring through the car, and before doing the extension work.

When I will do the Distronic retrofit, the CAN cables will come out of the front SAM, and go to the Distronic Control unit (N62/2).

Attachments

·
Registered 2011 SLK250
582 Posts
I can now say that the BSA retrofit is another success :)

I have replaced the rear radar sensors with BSA specific sensors (no more distronic), with these:
A0009053303

The error disappeared right away.
When testing it, the yellow lights in the mirror would come on with in D gear, and below 30 km/h.
When above 30 km/h, the lights in the mirror turn off. While encountering other cars on the lane (so cars that are not parked (yes, apparently it is detected that the car is parked and not in lane)), the lights in the mirror turn red.
If signaling to switch lanes, I get a beep feedback, and the red light in the mirror flashes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts