Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
*Registered
2010 SLK300
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a pair of lights from the local Mercedes dealer which were cheaper than those on ebay and started looking for the connecting wires under the fascia.
It's not easy, even for a slim person, on one's back trying to remove the panel ( RHD).
I removed the three screws at the front but the panel appears to be part of the centre console- am I missing another securing point?
My other question is whether I have to fit all the other internal lights for the footwell lights to operate?
I'm not interested in these other lights so do I have to get the footwell lights coded?
If one has to go for the whole package, would it be possible to take a feed from the internal overhead courtesy lights?

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,882 Posts
IF you read this diy for heater fan repair, it shows that panel.
Basically it is held by clips BUT once free you need to unclip the cigarette lighter.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK300
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IF you read this diy for heater fan repair, it shows that panel.
Basically it is held by clips BUT once free you need to unclip the cigarette lighter.

I collected the footwell lights from the local Mercedes dealer and thought I'd ask what they would charge for fitting them. Answer: £87 + VAT for half an hour's labour. December 13 was the earliest date they could oblige. They obviously haven't realised what's involved as I spent two hours on the passenger side (RHD) installing the light.
IT DOESN'T WORK! Is that because I haven't installed the driver's side light or does it require coding?

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,882 Posts
Possibly coding, but I am not an expert.

@Col fitted a lighting package to his 171 when he had it.
He may know.

Obviously, I have no idea if it is correctly installed, but worth reviewing.
There might just be a 171 diy on this.

·
**Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,856 Posts
Possibly coding, but I am not an expert.

@Col fitted a lighting package to his 171 when he had it.
He may know.

Obviously, I have no idea if it is correctly installed, but worth reviewing.
There might just be a 171 diy on this.
Actually Myk my R171 had the interior lighting package from the factory. Perhaps you are thinking of someone else. I believe coding is required. I’m not sure if it’s feasible to add just the footwell lights. The puddle lights in the bottom of the doors may need activating too. That is done by coding the door control units I believe.

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,245 Posts
The passenger and driver footwell lights are part of the ambient light option,code 876.
The lights are switched on by the front SAM so I would guess they need to be coded,SAM has to be coded for option 876.
But no experience with it myself,just an educated guess,so I may be wrong. 😁

·
Administrator (Canada)
20,425 Posts
No 876 for him:

817 SIREN BRACKET FOR INCREASED THEFT PROTECTION
873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS
880 CLOSING SYSTEM WITH INFRARED REMOTE CONTROL

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
It'll require coding ..

Just checked and its in the Central Gateway - Lights Package needs to be set to present, and the door modules may need a tweak if the puddle lights are not fitted as the system may generate stored error codes as it cant see the bulbs ... not 100% sure on the last bit ..

Reactions: Col and Avel Du

·
*Registered
2010 SLK300
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It'll require coding ..

Just checked and its in the Central Gateway - Lights Package needs to be set to present, and the door modules may need a tweak if the puddle lights are not fitted as the system may generate stored error codes as it cant see the bulbs ... not 100% sure on the last bit ..
Many thanks for this info. Does it mean I have to get a Mercedes dealer to code the lights or can an independent outlet do it?
Any members of the forum local to Bristol able to help?

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
You're more likely to get it done at an Indy - the main dealer may do it, but don't be suprised if they won't ...

Reactions: Avel Du
1 - 12 of 12 Posts