Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 SLK 230 has all of a sudden developed a problem with the roof raising and lowering. It does go up and down but if it is down I have to shut off the car and restart to raise it back up again, and the same for lowering it. Everything else seems to be fine but this could be an issue, well, it already is in my book> I looked for a discussion on this but did not find this exact problem. My apologies as a newbie if I somehow missed it. Thanks!

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,371 Posts

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
You might want to try changing the pump relay , it's relatively cheap and may be sticking and releasing when the current is cut ??

·
Registered
156 Posts
Probably not the cause, but if you have never had roof serviced, check out Halfords silicon spray and grease- get the merc spec from one of the site moderators, but clean and grease up all the moving roof parts inc the roof itself plus the microswitches etc in the front of the A pillars and all the roof rubbers- the first time I took my mom out for a spin with the roof down, the roof wouldn't operate and jammed, so I had to push it gently and it closed- she was going to get out and get the bus home. I was well fed up. but reading up the site, I decided to clean all the roof parts and it was just lack of maintenance. You never know, but before looking at the relays and other stuff ask someone like jbanks, the site moderator, for the correct spec and get some silicon spray and give the roof a service. cost you about a tenner than look at other options, if not cured. the first and only time my roof failed, you can bet I went to town with the spray and I lube it all up about once a month.. but then I clean my car more than I use it. regards kevin.

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
Good maintenance is always a good idea , Gummi Pflege is great for the rubbers and litium grease for the articulations , but the lack of maintenance wouldn't really explain the fact that restarting the car , gets the roof moving ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.