Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning on the way to work I was creeping along in traffic in my R500 land barge when a new R172 SLK, either 2012 or 13 pulled alongside. It was a light silver colored SLK350. And being next to it for a few miles as our two lanes of traffic surged and slowed, I got a chance to really evaluate and appreciate the looks.

The rear and rear 3/4 view is stunning. I think it's better looking than my R171. The side view too is an improvement. Mostly, I like the fake side intake / exhaust thingy on the front quarter panels and the way the roof line flows into the back of the car. The side thingys look much better in that location. The ones on the hood of my R171 SLK55 seem sort of goofy to me in that hood location. But then we come round to the front. While attractive, I just can't bring myself to like the blunt nose on the R172. Guess it's just not my taste. But overall, this encounter got me to see a lot of subtle design changes in the R172 that work really well for the car.

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Strange, but I've had had similar thoughts and agree fully with all of your observations. It's hard to beat the front of a R171, but I think the side and back of the R172 show some positive yet subtle refinement. It's all good!

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
Agree completely! Nose, terrible, sides, better. But the sport fenders on the R171 are even better IMHO. I know it's been delayed, but I just communicated again this week via email with Xclusive Car Concepts and there WILL be a round 2 of the Group Buy. There will be a much more affordable version of the sport fender available in Carbon Fiber that should sell for approx. $1300.00usd per set, but the particulars are being worked out now. The OEM metal version that is then custom fabricated (still in my opinion the best way to go) will remain at the close to $2000.00usd price per set....plus shipping. But as I have always said, this changes the whole attitude of the car. If you love your SLK and plan on keeping it like I do, then the investment to "improve" on what Mercedes Benz did with the R171 is well worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.