Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with the circular (R170) floor mat retention clips.
My driver's floor mat has slid loose, but the two circular retention clips are holding on to the mat firm! How do I get the retention buttons to "release" so I can re-mount the floor mats?

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,112 Posts
I moved your post to the r170 general discussion as a new thread

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I need some help with the circular (R170) floor mat retention clips.
My driver's floor mat has slid loose, but the two circular retention clips are holding on to the mat firm! How do I get the retention buttons to "release" so I can re-mount the floor mats?
I'm sorry didn't get the question... Are you trying to re-mount the retention clips themselves or you're just trying to release the mat from the car...?
I had OEM floor mats but they never had retention clips... nor a hole for them but the car has plastic "buttons" where clips on the mat should go to. Had smth went wrong on the factory? :D:D
And in case you need:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuine-OEM-Mercedes-Benz-Black-Floor-Mat-Retention-Button-Clips-/300969355695?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model:SLK230&hash=item46132be9af&vxp=mtr

·
94,112 Posts
it sounds like the round clips have come loose from the mat and are still attached to their 'button' holders. I would just use a flat screwdriver and pop em off/up

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys- I'm not sure what to call these round retention buttons/clips. The ebay link is accurate, these are the buttons, mine are just very tight, and I thought if I get too aggressive with a screwdriver, I'd tear them up. I'll quit worrying about it and just pull them loose.

·
94,112 Posts
i had one do that once. wasn't on that tight but came loose from the floor mat

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solution to floor mat retention clips question

Well, I figured it out! I purchased my '04 SLK 230 a few months ago, and the floor mats has the round retention clips, with a Round hole that receives the round floor post. When my wife drove the car, she needed to push off on the mat to get her left foot (post surgery, in a cast) out of the car. The mat was popping loose!
I finally got the existing clips off, but scratched the up a bit with pliers. I figured out that they were very tight because they were brand new.
I went to the dealer and ordered new retention clips, and learned that my R170 called for a round button with an oval-shaped hole, to clip the post into when you slide the mat forward. In fact, the pack I opened at the parts counter had one round and one oval contained! Fortunately, the dealer had a second pack of two ovals, and they work as designed.
So the lesson learned is to ensure you have/get the OEM part to ensure correct fit, less the spouse throw the mat in the trunk and wear out the carpet during foul weather!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Excuse me for digging up an old thread, but I got some genuine mats for mine recently but they don't come with clips attached. I think I know what genuine mat clips look like (see link below), but I can't figure out how they attach to the floor! Can anyone with mats take a pic for me please? I don't know if there is some kind of retainer hiding under the carpet or whether the carpet needs cutting and something fitted to it?

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://ebayapi.loc8apartltd.netdna-cdn.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA%3D%3D/z/w6AAAOSwBahVBfv8/%24_1.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.parts.loc8apart.co.uk/nav/auto-part/Mercedes%20Benz/SLK/Floor-Mats.php&h=300&w=400&tbnid=SiosoeK1VJ7RoM:&docid=FurXhO9yGd42wM&ei=GwvSVrWJBoX7ULWQqbAF&tbm=isch&client=tablet-android-pega&ved=0ahUKEwj1gtmP6JjLAhWFPRQKHTVIClYQMwguKBIwEg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Can anyone help?! I literally need someone with a R170 that has floor mats to tell me how they are physically attached to the carpet/floor.

·
Registered
159 Posts
None of the R170's we've had have had clips on the floor mats.

Tim
My 2002 SLK320 has OEM floor mats with no round holes but the floor/carpet does have the plug. But,,, mine also has a floppy "jaw with teeth" clip attached to the floor/carpet that grabs the edge of the mat to hold in place. Works great, except over time is now starting to rip where the jaw grabs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I bought my 2001 320, it had floor mats with the clips fitted but the mats were very tatty.
I bought some new mats, but they did not have the holes.
So used a hole punch from work to make some holes in the new mats.
If you dont have any hole punches, you could sharpen a bit of tube (the correct size) with a grinder so it has a sharp end and place mat on a piece of wood and find a suitable hammer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts