Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of buying an 06 Black on Black SLK55, 41k miles. I just talked to the service technician at the Mercedes dealership who performed my PPI.

Here are the results:
1. Right Side Valve Cover Gasket is leaking - $395
2. Thrust Arm Bushings are cracked - $580
3. Drivers seat heater isn't working - $1515
4. Convenience top feature is not working - $468
5. Needs an alignment - $150
6. No record of the B service - $550

The current negotated price is $29,000 out their door, not including my State's sales tax. That year, with those miles, I feel like the price is at the top of what I'd pay, in this market, for a near perfect car.

I'm thinking my next step will be either:
1. Fix the Seat Heater, do the B Service, do the Alignment and get me an after market warranty. Keep the same price.
2. Do the alignment, give me a warranty and take $2000 off the price.
3. Fix everything and stay at the price.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,305 Posts
i would skip on the seat heater. nice to have in your climate but not necessary if the heater works well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about this option: have them do the B service, alignment, give me a warranty and take $1,000 off the negotiated price?

Seem fair?

·
98,305 Posts
don't know what type of warranty on an 06. maybe you can buy an extended warranty or put money away for any thing major. but u need the b service, and the alignment. what do u mean convenience top feature not working?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm figuring some aftermarket warranty of some sort, if they would pay for it. Not too worried about repair costs, but coverage couldn't hurt.

The technician said using the key in the drivers door would take the windows and roof down but it wasn't working from the passenger door. I wasn't even aware of that feature.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm in the process of buying an 06 Black on Black SLK55, 41k miles. I just talked to the service technician at the Mercedes dealership who performed my PPI.

Here are the results:
1. Right Side Valve Cover Gasket is leaking - $395
2. Thrust Arm Bushings are cracked - $580
3. Drivers seat heater isn't working - $1515
4. Convenience top feature is not working - $468
5. Needs an alignment - $150
6. No record of the B service - $550

The current negotated price is $29,000 out their door, not including my State's sales tax. That year, with those miles, I feel like the price is at the top of what I'd pay, in this market, for a near perfect car.

I'm thinking my next step will be either:
1. Fix the Seat Heater, do the B Service, do the Alignment and get me an after market warranty. Keep the same price.
2. Do the alignment, give me a warranty and take $2000 off the price.
3. Fix everything and stay at the price.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Since it a Mercedes retailer dealer, you soon be able to ask them to fix all the issue before you buy it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I talked to the dealership today, Moore Cadillac of Chantilly VA, and they are unwilling to do anything on the car. They will not lower the price and they will not fix anything on the list. Obviously I'm bowing out.

Since they represented the car to me as being in near perfect condition, checked by their shop and excellently maintained I would say they are looking to pass the car on to someone who doesn't do their homework. The sales lady seemed upset at her management, as she should be. Very deceptive practices.

Anyway, I'm trying to become a real member of the community, just can't get anyone to sell me a car :)

Thanks for the help so far.

·
98,305 Posts
you have checked of course cars.com and autotrader.com?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Run away!!

Anyone who would knowningly sell a car with all that you listed (except the B service) being needed to bring the car to a "safe" condition can't be trusted. Remember, they took the car in on a trade (probably) for $20K based on my experience and are looking to make nearly 50% profit. If it was a sale in CA, they could not legally put the car on the road without fixing known leaks, cracks, or anything else that is or interpreted as safety related.

Run away!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Price seems a bit high too. If you are ok with a higher mileage vehicle (40-50k) you can get one for about $26-27k after negotiation (plus sales tax and licensing, of course). Autotrader has a few 40K+ mileage cars. I can't vouch for a clean PPI, but the current vehicle you're looking at for $29k seems like a rippoff. It is hard to come by 55s though. Seems like people who jumped onto the AMG initially don't really want to give them up (compared to the abundant 350 and 280 leases!)

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts

·
6,796 Posts
From a brief look today...for you and BH...first come first serve:
...if you did some haggling
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=81780489&listingRecNum=310&criteria=prMx=35000&sf1Dir=ASC&prMn=0&mkId=20028&stkTyp=U&mdId=21877&rd=100000&mlgId=28865&crSrtFlds=stkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice-mlgId&zc=78280&rn=300&PMmt=1-1-0&stkTypId=28881&sf2Dir=DESC&sf1Nm=engineDescription&sf2Nm=price&isDealerGrouping=false&rpp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=national&listType=1

designo interior...looking at the carfax, I'd say it has been enjoyed when it was driven
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tab=summary&recnum=&actLog=&listingId=82050208&paId=435512078&listingRecNum=317&criteria=prMx=35000&sf1Dir=ASC&prMn=0&mkId=20028&stkTyp=U&mdId=21877&rd=100000&mlgId=28865&crSrtFlds=stkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice-mlgId&zc=78280&rn=300&PMmt=1-1-0&stkTypId=28881&sf2Dir=DESC&sf1Nm=engineDescription&sf2Nm=price&isDealerGrouping=false&rpp=50&feedSegId=28705&tracktype=usedcc&pageNumber=&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE&certifiedOnly=false&&aff=national

this one deserves a carfax review or phone call to the seller...
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=82453669&listingRecNum=335&criteria=prMx=35000&sf1Dir=ASC&prMn=0&mkId=20028&stkTyp=U&mdId=21877&rd=100000&mlgId=28865&crSrtFlds=stkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice-mlgId&zc=78280&rn=300&PMmt=1-1-0&stkTypId=28881&sf2Dir=DESC&sf1Nm=engineDescription&sf2Nm=price&isDealerGrouping=false&rpp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=national&listType=3

ditto...though it's a 350...
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=81688396&listingRecNum=341&criteria=prMx=35000&sf1Dir=ASC&prMn=0&mkId=20028&stkTyp=U&mdId=21877&rd=100000&mlgId=28865&crSrtFlds=stkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice-mlgId&zc=78280&rn=300&PMmt=1-1-0&stkTypId=28881&sf2Dir=DESC&sf1Nm=engineDescription&sf2Nm=price&isDealerGrouping=false&rpp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=national&listType=3

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the links guys. I appreciate it.

I've been digging through Autotrader and Cars.com for a while and feel like I've seen every SLK55 on sale right now in the entire country. I've called on about a dozen as well. For some reason dealerships are not willing to haggle at all on these cars. They must think they're gold.

I've been running the VINs through carfax, autocheck and the Mercedes VIN lookup software to find the perfect car at the right price as I'm very picky. In any case I'm not in a huge hurry, it just been surprising how difficult this particular car hunt has been.

Oh, BTW that one from Imports Unlimited was totalled at some point due to water damage. They have some audacity offering that car for $27k.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
I've been digging through Autotrader and Cars.com for a while and feel like I've seen every SLK55 on sale right now in the entire country.
You sound like my kind of guy ! I remember having a list of about 40 SLK's across the Southeast before I ended up with mine. My purchase turned out better than I could have expected. Hope yours does as well !

Oh, BTW that one from Imports Unlimited was totalled at some point due to water damage. They have some audacity offering that car for $27k.
I imagine that leaving one of these puppies out in the rain with the top down is a lot more common than we'd like to think. Still reminds me of Risky Business, "Which one of you is the U-Boat Kommander!?"

There's a lot of excellent SLK experience on this forum, take advantage of it. Not me, these other guys

Best Wishes - Take your time and get a good one.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
One of our members - WaterBug car was totaled due to water damage, and he's had no problems at all with it.

·
6,796 Posts
That would be the one without the free carfax? I agree...it's a gutsy move to take on a car that has been "water damaged" especially something as "electronic" as an SLK.

Apt nickname for waterbug!

·
Registered
51 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.