Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I need a 1718300685 (Climatronic a.k.a. "digital climate control" or automatic climate control). It doesn't have to be in working condition because I need it for the display cover only, the little plastic strip that covers the LED display. The backstory is in another thread. I made a foolish mistake. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bought the ebay part, $250 + shipping, OUCH! I don't seem to be gaining any wisdom with old age. LOL! Anyway, we'll see if I can't recover some of that cost by re-selling the unit minus the display cover. Anyone who needs a replacement unit I would assume could repurpose their existing display cover - unless they stupidly vacuumed it away like I did.

I guess I should not complain about the cost. All the OEM dealers and dealerships I saw were $700 and up for a new unit. Maybe I should part out my car to fund my retirement and just pack it in. :laugh:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The long nightmare continues. My mechanical incompetence knows no bounds. I almost had it sorted but instead I suffered a brain cramp. I got the display cover and the colored lens that sits beneath it off the replacement unit with only a minor problem. Two of the four plastic tabs that hold the display cover in place broke off when I placed it on a table. It was a case of "plastic fatigue". I now understand how I vacuumed off my original cover. Old plastic is more fragile than I knew, or perhaps not made as well as it used to be. I had a 1989 300CE until three years ago. Parts were not nearly as fragile.

Anyway, I planned to secure it with glue as a preventive measure. Here is the sad part. I very stupidly applied too much glue. Some of it got inside the unit and it no longer works. I know, it's beyond belief. Note to each of you - NEVER let me near your vehicle with ANYTHING in my hands. :)

So now I have to put the lens and display cover back on the replacement unit (VERY little glue this time) and change it out for the original. I plan to watch the DIY youtube one time only. If I have any fear, uncertainty, and doubt - and I likely will - it will be off to an auto electronics installer. This sort of thing is simple for them, much easier than an audio head unit. I am not happy with myself right now. The only consolation is the replacement unit is no longer extraneous. In fact, I kind of like the grey buttons. It's a nice change from all the other black buttons. I have a six speed so the unit is barely visible anyway.

I bought the ebay part, $250 + shipping, OUCH! I don't seem to be gaining any wisdom with old age. LOL! Anyway, we'll see if I can't recover some of that cost by re-selling the unit minus the display cover. Anyone who needs a replacement unit I would assume could repurpose their existing display cover - unless they stupidly vacuumed it away like I did.

I guess I should not complain about the cost. All the OEM dealers and dealerships I saw were $700 and up for a new unit. Maybe I should part out my car to fund my retirement and just pack it in. :laugh:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe my saga of cluelessness is taking a turn for the better. Two positive developments (1) last night in a flash of reasonable thought I decided against using glue and just replaced the display cover to the replacement unit, all good and (2) my local BestBuy auto audio installer agreed to change out the unit I ruined for the basic labor cost for dashboard removal/replacement - $65.

After what I've done to myself the past few days I consider $65 to be very cheap insurance. The DIY videos make it look like a very straightfoward bit of work. Since the BestBuy is directly across the street from my office, I decided to take advantage of the convenience and pay the money to be done with this.

I got a tip from the installers about new audio/navigation head units. I will ask a few questions in the threads about those. No, I won't be attempting any portion of that installation :wink:

The long nightmare continues. My mechanical incompetence knows no bounds. I almost had it sorted but instead I suffered a brain cramp. I got the display cover and the colored lens that sits beneath it off the replacement unit with only a minor problem. Two of the four plastic tabs that hold the display cover in place broke off when I placed it on a table. It was a case of "plastic fatigue". I now understand how I vacuumed off my original cover. Old plastic is more fragile than I knew, or perhaps not made as well as it used to be. I had a 1989 300CE until three years ago. Parts were not nearly as fragile.

Anyway, I planned to secure it with glue as a preventive measure. Here is the sad part. I very stupidly applied too much glue. Some of it got inside the unit and it no longer works. I know, it's beyond belief. Note to each of you - NEVER let me near your vehicle with ANYTHING in my hands. :)

So now I have to put the lens and display cover back on the replacement unit (VERY little glue this time) and change it out for the original. I plan to watch the DIY youtube one time only. If I have any fear, uncertainty, and doubt - and I likely will - it will be off to an auto electronics installer. This sort of thing is simple for them, much easier than an audio head unit. I am not happy with myself right now. The only consolation is the replacement unit is no longer extraneous. In fact, I kind of like the grey buttons. It's a nice change from all the other black buttons. I have a six speed so the unit is barely visible anyway.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RESOLVED! - It dawned on me it was unlikely errant drops of glue would brick the Climatronic. Sure enough, after I noticed other dash problems, I put it right by replacing a fuse. I popped the display cover on from the replacement unit and I'm all good.

If anybody is interested in the silver button version of the part - minus the display cover - hit me up. I guarantee you it will cost hundreds less than the next nearest price. It's easier to recycle your original display cover than I made it out to be. Thank you all for your patience0:)

I believe my saga of cluelessness is taking a turn for the better. Two positive developments (1) last night in a flash of reasonable thought I decided against using glue and just replaced the display cover to the replacement unit, all good and (2) my local BestBuy auto audio installer agreed to change out the unit I ruined for the basic labor cost for dashboard removal/replacement - $65.

After what I've done to myself the past few days I consider $65 to be very cheap insurance. The DIY videos make it look like a very straightfoward bit of work. Since the BestBuy is directly across the street from my office, I decided to take advantage of the convenience and pay the money to be done with this.

I got a tip from the installers about new audio/navigation head units. I will ask a few questions in the threads about those. No, I won't be attempting any portion of that installation :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts