Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Right front wing ( Petrol blue 2005 would be nice )

Thanks to the idiot delivery driver that did this to son's car!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Fairly difficult to find front parts as most accidents are font enders!

Something about people driving these cars too fast, not leaving enough braking distance,....Not that I'd know anything about that.

Best of luck with it, you may need to find one and get it resprayed..

·
Banned
330 Posts
That has some serious damage and crease and poss a hole ?
Cheaper to buy a second hand good wing then pay someone the numerous labour hours to repair it .
I have had lots of body work done on all kinds of cars. What might look like a big deal to you is fairly trivial to a good body man:

In my opinion, that damage is trivial.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I have had lots of body work done on all kinds of cars. What might look like a big deal to you is fairly trivial to a good body man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgu9_VU44dg

In my opinion, that damage is trivial.
It maybe trivial to de done by a body shop on that front wing .
But theres a few hours labour charge involved for that to be done and worked on and poss welding if it has been damaged / holed then filler to be applied with .....

Its easier to just buy a new front wing or second hand if the op can source one with same paint code and bolt on himself and back on the road asap and cheaper .

You can pick up a new wing or second hand circa £150.00
Average hourly rate here is circa £80.00 -£95.00 add an extra £55.00 you can buy a second hand straight wing with no damage just req painting .

Most body shops here say the time they spend hours trying to get that dent / crease out far cheaper to buy another wing and fit and quicker and be back on the road .

In my opinion .

·
Banned
330 Posts
I don't think so!

And a good replacement (which are fairly plentiful right now) will not have any filler/bondo in it.

Agree, it depends on how talented the body man is to straighten properly but replacement is trivial.
Well I know all of you are experts, but I have only restored a hand full of cars plus miscellaneous damage on a variety of vehicles.

A replacement requires:

1. Removing the fender interliner

2. Unbolting the fender from the body which never goes well due to rusty bolts, screws, etc.

3. Sourcing a new fender.

4. Deciding to paint it on or off the car?

5. Installing it.

And oddly enough, the new fender never seems to fit quite right when compared to the original. As for the quality of the repair, maybe in jolly old England you blokes aren't quite up to the skills of our tradesmen. My guy, who has been doing my work for a very long time, turns out a perfect job every time. 0:)

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
And a good replacement (which are fairly plentiful right now) will not have any filler/bondo in it.

Agree, it depends on how talented the body man is to straighten properly but replacement is trivial.
Anything is repairable as such
But the time you factor in the hours to repair and fill and weld ?

Its a lot cheaper just to go and pick up a front wing undamaged and not worry months later seeing issues with the paint as its had so much filler .

Theres one going for £157.00 second hand no damage bolt straight on paint later . :grin:

·
Registered
868 Posts
It maybe trivial to de done by a body shop on that front wing .
But theres a few hours labour charge involved for that to be done and worked on and poss welding if it has been damaged / holed then filler to be applied with .....

Its easier to just buy a new front wing or second hand if the op can source one with same paint code and bolt on himself and back on the road asap and cheaper .

You can pick up a new wing or second hand circa £150.00
Average hourly rate here is circa £80.00 -£95.00 add an extra £55.00 you can buy a second hand straight wing with no damage just req painting .

Most body shops here say the time they spend hours trying to get that dent / crease out far cheaper to buy another wing and fit and quicker and be back on the road .

In my opinion .

agreed in principle - however you have to find the GOOD part first :(

·
Super Moderator
24,898 Posts
Anything is repairable as such
But the time you factor in the hours to repair and fill and weld ?

Its a lot cheaper just to go and pick up a front wing undamaged and not worry months later seeing issues with the paint as its had so much filler .

Theres one going for £157.00 second hand no damage bolt straight on paint later . :grin:
@nimbusgb might appreciate a heads up on where you spotted that :tu:

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please close thread. Car has had a wing fitted and been resprayed!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.