Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
584 Posts
I've had a VERY irritating rattle from the dash area (or so I thought) I've mentioned this a few times in other threads. I've had the dash out TWICE and I've even driven the car without the dash in place! I purchased a mechanics stethoscope and went out in the SLK to listen for the source of the noise. Parts of the dash surface? NO noise. The door panel(s)? No noise. The centre console? NO noise. (Well, you could hear a faint transmission whirl, so the stethoscope WAS doing its job) I then happened to touch the windscreen rear-view mirror. IT WAS LOOSE! and it rattled! I drove over bumps whilst holding the mirror and apart from some very minor "clicks", the noise wasn't there!
I suppose that it was easy to miss ... you don't touch that mirror very often and even then, you might not realise that it was loose and rattling?
Oh well, I did say that I'd find it in the end! I'm going to take it off, investigate and tighten it up. I feel quite happy, now!

David

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've had a VERY irritating rattle from the dash area (or so I thought) I've mentioned this a few times in other threads. I've had the dash out TWICE and I've even driven the car without the dash in place! I purchased a mechanics stethoscope and went out in the SLK to listen for the source of the noise. Parts of the dash surface? NO noise. The door panel(s)? No noise. The centre console? NO noise. (Well, you could hear a faint transmission whirl, so the stethoscope WAS doing its job) I then happened to touch the windscreen rear-view mirror. IT WAS LOOSE! and it rattled! I drove over bumps whilst holding the mirror and apart from some very minor "clicks", the noise wasn't there!
I suppose that it was easy to miss ... you don't touch that mirror very often and even then, you might not realise that it was loose and rattling?
Oh well, I did say that I'd find it in the end! I'm going to take it off, investigate and tighten it up. I feel quite happy, now!

David
Awesome. let me know how you tighten it up. Mine doesn't rattle, but it does vibrate enough that it's more difficult to see through.

·
Registered 1999 SLK 230k
21 Posts
For me it was the sun visor, drove me mad until by chance I was holding it and the vibration stopped. Now drive with a paper kitchen towel folded into a square between the visor and the roof. Handy for sneezing as well......

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've just taken the mirror off ( rotate anti-clockwise) No rattles from that! The spring-clip retainer was slightly loose. So it's all to do with the mounting onto the windscreen. It looks like it has definitely been off before (looks a little bit "chewed). So the next thing to do is to drive it without the mirror! Hopefully little or no clatter/noise over bumps? Then mount the mirror very firmly onto the screen. Luckily it's a non auto-dimming mirror, so very easy to re-fix .... Do you know, I'd have given "Mega-bucks" [That's for you U.S. Guys LOL!] a while ago for someone to have cured that clatter!

David

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fixed the mirror securely. There's STILL some reaction over uneven roads! A single hard "clack" like a lash-effect?
So, it's still "a work in progress"! (But it is much improved)
It's been suggested that I just turn the radio up! LOL!

David

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hopefully I'm wrong but this is a symptom of an out of balance drive shaft.
That's pretty interesting actually. Hadnt thought of it. I bought the car severely abused (which is why I got it so cheap) and have changed the motor and trans mounts but havent checked the driveshaft. It doesnt shake too bad at 100 though lol. One thing I did notice is that my trans crossmember was different from the ones i see online. The ones online have 3 bolts on each side and mine only has 2. Or vise-a-versa, either way it's different and I never gave that too much thought since the car is running and I havent left the trans in the middle of the road yet. DAJ, sorry to hijack lol

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,440 Posts
reminds me of when I spent a bunch of time chasing a rattle on my Chrysler 200. turned out to be sunglasses in the headliner storage area that I didn't know existed. (never had one before!)

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
Yes, first rule when chasing rattles,,,,, take absolutely everything out of the car that was not put there by the manufacturers, - including the trunk. And take everything off your key.

It takes 10 minutes and can save you hours!

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just been out in the SLK. I had the roof down. I went over quite a few bumps in the road and uneven surfaces. What did I hear? NOTHING! Glorious silence! The car just purred along through the wonderful Welsh countyside .... sparkling streams, bird-song, snow-drops ..... just Heaven!
I can only assume that when the roof is raised, some vibration may be transmitted into the dash area?
Anyway, I do feel particularly good about this, at the moment! I'm smiling as I'm telling you this!

David

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There's been a simple finding to this problem. With the roof raised, that noise is there! It's a "hard" clicking noise from what appears to be coming from behind the steering wheel. It would almost seem like that there is some play/lash in the steering-column and it causes this noise over uneven road surfaces. Now this is the strange but absolutely correct secondary finding .... it is COMPLETELY absent when the roof is lowered! I can't hear anything! (and it's not because of the extra noise when the roof is open) I'd gladly pay a wad of cash if this could be explained and so that I never heard that "clack" again, even when the roof is raised?. Now I observed that the piece of black trim that runs full-width over the top of the windscreen has the two clips missing. It is basically held in place with the sun-visors. Maybe the "clicking" occurs there and is transmitted down?.
So please solve this one and let me live in peace! LOL!

David

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
514 Posts
If it was me David, the first thing I would be doing is putting gummi pflege on all the seals.
Get a good coating on all the rubbers for the roof and doors ......... heck, do all the rubber !

It could be something as simple as two joints just not sitting together properly.

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've ordered that product "gummi pflege" ... I'd never heard of it!
The (very) simple question is, though, WHY is the noise completely absent when the roof is lowered? I would have assumed that there would have been MORE structural rigidity with the roof raised, and hence it would have been LESS likely to rattle? It is strange, this one .... A prize for a valid explanation! LOL!

David

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,340 Posts

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That clicking/rattle comes from where the roof connects to the screen at the top, left-hand corner. Is there provision for adjustment, there? This explains why there is a complete absence of any noise when the roof is lowered ....

David

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't had a reply to the question I asked in #16 , above? I would like to know if it is possible to increase the tension between the top roof-panel and the windscreen? I need to eliminate a clacking/rattling noise which I have finally tracked-down to this area.

David

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sometimes you come across a thread like this and you wonder if the participant really DID solve the problem! Well, today, I at last drove my SLK free from that rattle! Here's how :-
The rattle originated from the roof latching mechanism located on the top, LHS of the windscreen. By removing the sun-visors and full-width black cover, it is accessible. I found that the small, white-nylon roller was not turning freely. Two 10 mm bolts hold the latching mechanism in place, so it is easily removed. There are also two brown "electrical" material-looking thin plates between the latch and the windscreen upper- frame. I could see a slight mark on the inner latch where the locating-hook of the roof panel had been striking. This told me that the hook needed to be further back when the roof was in place (i.e., more tension). Those plates do the opposite of creating tension ... they increase the space between the roof panel and the windscreen. So I'd have needed to insert another plate to get the required effect! Instead, I slightly bent the small bracket to which the latch locates, in a forward direction. This did have the effect of increasing the tension of the roof panel and taking the locating hook slightly rearwards when the roof was closed.
I drove the car with the roof raised. Eureka ! Absolutely devoid of ANY rattle! That WAS the cause! I will sleep well tonight! My message? NEVER give up hope!

David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.