Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
So just had both front dampers replaced by the local MB dealer as one was leaking. I asked them to replace the springs while they were there too, as there was no extra labour needed.

But... took a look once at home and spotted that the damper shaft is totally open to the elements. They didn’t fit any rubber bumper / dust cover / gaiter. I believe it’s Part 7 in the diagram. Is that something to cause concern?

I know bikes have stanctions open to the elements but every car I’ve seen has bumpers. I really don’t want to be replacing these sooner than expected due to damage, rust or excess wear.

Does this seem an issue?

I’ve a Jan 2008 280 with sports suspension.
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
4,953 Posts
They are fitted with a rubber flexible boot to protect from ingress / dirt / water etc

Either your old shocks did not have them on before hand or the tech guys when assembling left it off :surprise::surprise:
Is the other side missing also ?

Check other side and ring them back but they may say you did not have them on old shocks ?
Even so they should have fitted them as were missing parts and are req !

Note my 2009 model has them fitted .

·
Long Time Member 2005 slk350
3,683 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys... I’ll give the service advisor a call today and see what they say!

It just seems so hard to get a decent job done. I’ve had a newly fitted auxilluary belt fail after a garage replaced it, another body shop painted a wing a re-fitted it wrong, and now even MB seem not to bother fitting parts correctly! It’s such a battle!! 🤯

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
4,953 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys... I’ll give the service advisor a call today and see what they say!

It just seems so hard to get a decent job done. I’ve had a newly fitted auxilluary belt fail after a garage replaced it, another body shop painted a wing a re-fitted it wrong, and now even MB seem not to bother fitting parts correctly! It’s such a battle!! 🤯
Its such a simple straight forward job to do im well shocked at your issues .
Excuse the pun !

Plus you may need wheel allignment doing afterwards poss it may put it out .

·
Long Time Member 2005 slk350
3,683 Posts
i think you can buy a fully built up strut from MB.
without seeing your bill and the parts list on it i dont know if merc have fitted one of these built up units.
if they have merc will blame merc parts department and do the rework free to you and carry out a parts warranty claim and get paid again by merc uk.

·
Banned
330 Posts
The rubber boot is to protect the shaft on the strut. It must be there, or the shaft will eventually be damaged. They'll have to take the whole mess apart to put them in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
‘Shocked’ 😂 can see what you did there!

So called up the dealer today and they’ll get back to me tomorrow.

It looks like they’ve charged for the parts individually and not as a pre-made damper set, but we’ll see what they say.

Thanks for the advice too, it’s much appreciated... I do get fussy with my cars, but don’t want to replacing a bust shock any sooner than I need to!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,428 Posts
I've had those bellows be in such bad shape that I never put them back on, but never had any long-term issues by not having them there. If anything, it's just slightly excess wear and tear on the upper seal on your shock.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, got a call from the dealer.
Parts are in order and they can fit them fairly quickly so the car is booked in for a few days time!

I’m so glad I’m a picky so and so, as how many normal MB customers wouldn’t even look or spot these bits were missing. 🤯

It’s exactly that excess wear of the damper seals that I want to avoid. These shocks cost a lot from MB so I want them to last as long as possible 😄

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just back from the dealer after having the car booked in to get the bumper/gaiter fitted... 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

They actually thought it was little black plastic top mount cover disc inside the engine bay that wasn’t fitted! Hilarious!

And it does seem the gaiter might include the rubber bump-stop too, so that’s pretty important.

I got to show the technician what was missing this time and they understand what’s needed now, which is...
removal of the full damper, fitting of the bumper/gaiter, reassembly and another alignment check.

I even gave the part number for the rubber damper boot when describing what was missing (which I’m 99% sure I’ve got right as I got it from

... awaiting a date for my next booking 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So just to finish the story about the missing damper bumper / gaiter... Mercedes fitted them and checked the alignment free of charge.

Didn’t even have to quibble on cost or sign any paperwork on collection, just gave the keys, showed me to the cleaned car and once happy, I was off home!

At least it’s now sorted!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts