Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I've read a lot about 'rusty nuts' but my problem is that the heads of 2 of 4 MB locking wheel nuts will no longer turn with the MB key.

I've bought a new key which still skips out of the lug hole on both wheels when any turning force is applied.

I tried to attempt the common YouTube approach of putting a slightly oversized multipoint socket on top but they are too deeply recessed in the wheels for the socket to fit down.

Any ideas that have worked for you??? My winter tyres are still in the garage!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is that the bolt 'wells' are deep so I'm worried it would get jammed if I bashed it in with an impact drive or something and not be able to ratchet it out. On saying that Ive not much to lose !

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
11,916 Posts
As has been said.

You may end up scratching/scraping inside the rim holes but there is no alternative.

Slightly undersized socket and a heavy hammer/2lb sledge and just hammer away. Try to keep that socket on straight by hammering straight. It'll take a good bit of hammering to get it on enough to turn.

Once it's on, you'll be able to turn it out. You might even be able to save the socket once you get it out (but unlikely).

This does work. Had to do it on my Magnum nuts when the key broke.

This vid shows nuts but same principle applies.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG Silver
1,640 Posts
One of the reasons I use my local tyre place is that they use a torque wrench on wheel nuts/bolts.

Sodding idiots that use impact wrenches should have them jammed up their rear passages!

They cost me one set of black chromed bolts on the old 230 and a set of security nuts on sons 350!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've read a lot about 'rusty nuts' but my problem is that the heads of 2 of 4 MB locking wheel nuts will no longer turn with the MB key.

I've bought a new key which still skips out of the lug hole on both wheels when any turning force is applied.

I tried to attempt the common YouTube approach of putting a slightly oversized multipoint socket on top but they are too deeply recessed in the wheels for the socket to fit down.

Any ideas that have worked for you??? My winter tyres are still in the garage!
I had this happen to my Peugeot last year after some idiot at a nearby garage used a pneumatic tool to tighten and ruin the head of one of the locking wheel bolts. Only discovered this some months later, while trying to swap tires myself.
Asked them to unf*ck this situation, they tried for an hour (attempted to drill a hole into the bolt, so they could apply a left-turning screw to get the thing out) - which led to nothing as those nuts are meant to be burglar proof and made of hardened steel. In the end they gave me a provisional quote of 250 EUR to get the bolt they ruined out and I gave them the finger and swore never to use their services again. Which is a bummer, as they are locate some 300 meters away from our front door.

Next step was to try to weld something to this bolt, but that failed because it was too deeply recessed as well. I started to have visions of spending the winter with my summer tires on that car :(

Finally, the internet came up with an answer: I found a shop that was recommended for this operation, some 50 kms away. Gave them a call, and they said they could fix it for 5 euros. Sounded like a good deal, so drove up there, and they fixed it with a "spiral socket" (is that an English term?)

In any case, the sockets looked like these: Spiraaldoppen - Bob's Carparts - Bob Slager automotive

He put one of these onto the bolt, and then applied an impact driver to loosen the thing. Less than 2 minutes of work, job done.

Stupid idiots in the neighbourhood garage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts