Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK 320
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So, we've had our 170 for four days now, and everything about her has been great. Today, when I went to put the top down, everything went well until it came time for the roof to separate from the windshield. The trunk opened to receive the top and you could hear the pump or motor running, trying to get the top to continue opening, but nothing. At that point, it would not allow me to reverse direction and close the top, so I started to get a little panicky.

I noticed when I would press the button to retry with opening, I could see the roof panel and the rear window panel budging just a tiny little bit. I reached up and (while I was still holding the button) gave it a little push and *pow* she continued on as though everything was good. I repeated this a couple of times through the day, and each time, it simply needed that tiny bit of help.

I know there are volumes of things about the vario roof on this and other forums. I've searched and discovered that. However, I've not found anything that specifically sounds like this issue. If it helps, this car had a hydraulic top motor replaced last week and the PSE pump replaced in July.

Any ideas ?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,402 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK 320
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the roof switch at the windshield or needs some lithium grease on the latches
did the mechanics tell you what was repaired?

you should also only operate the roof in one direction until the operation is completed
otherwise it gets confused

so does it open or close completely at all now?

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/20937-spring-here~gummi-pflege-lube-your-seals-lithium-grease-your-joints-hinges.html
No, I just have the copy of the receipt that the PO gave to me. For the one last week, it simply says "used hydraulic top motor" and "top switch". For the July one, "pse pump" and "seal kit and fluid".

Once I get past the little sticky part (and, seriously, it takes a very gentle push at the spot where the roof meets the rear window) the rest of the operation is flawless and finishes properly. Putting it back up, there is no issue.

·
97,402 Posts
there are 2 top switches so maybe only one was replaced

anyway, have you gummied and greased all the joints in the link above? do it to start and pay attention to the location where u have to 'push'

·
97,402 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK 320
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there are 2 top switches so maybe only one was replaced

anyway, have you gummied and greased all the joints in the link above? do it to start and pay attention to the location where u have to 'push'
No, I wasn't about to start into ANYTHING until I asked questions here. That will be my first thing to try.

·
97,402 Posts
do you have any lithium grease?
get thee to a walmart :D

·
Registered 2001 SLK 320
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you have any lithium grease?
get thee to a walmart :D
No, but there's one right across the street from my new place! Other than drips (and potential of staining the interior or getting some on the paint), I don't imagine I could do any harm by using a bit too much as opposed to not enough. (?)

Also, I see in the picture that there is a can of this stuff in spray form. Seems like that would be easiest to use for a novice. Agree?

·
97,402 Posts
i was referring to the one in the can. yes spray
if too much, just wipe it off

·
Registered 1997 SLK230
247 Posts
i was referring to the one in the can. yes spray
if too much, just wipe it off
I would also check the cable that operates the locking catch at the joint between roof and rear window. These stretch over time and then the catch doesn't quite free without encouragement. Its easy to check and adjust once the roof liner is removed. I had this exact issue and was relieved it was a simple adjustment needed.
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered 2001 SLK 320
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE:

So, I immediately applied the lithium grease to every place that looked safe to do so, starting with where the top panel meets the windshield. Still was sticking so I then did the joint right behind the driver's head where the top panel meets the rear window section. POOF, she opened on her own the next time and has ever since. Thankful (so far) that it is not a cable that I have to try to adjust.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!

·
97,402 Posts
Great! MaryKay Simplyslk will be relieved @simplyslk

·
97,402 Posts
She'll read that herself when she gets here!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.