Mercedes SLK World banner

Conti tyres only, good condition, bad weather. Do you aquaplane?

• Not at all

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Rarely

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Often

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered 2019 SLC43
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Recent wet weather has had me aqua planing more than expected - wondering if this is a trait of the car or maybe the oem continental tyres? Previous 2 cars were Bmw 330d and BMW Z4 , both with 225 front and 255 rear tyres, so I am used to wide tyres (slc43 has 235 and 255)
My pressures are 200 and 260 from memory

[Edit
Poll added as we now have at least two members with concerns.
This is for continental tyres only]

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
3,847 Posts
I have been driving my 55 in the rain of the past few weeks and the only time I felt movement was when my rears needed replacing.
I have a new set of rears now and it grips well in the wet again.
I have Pirelli p zeros but on my old R171 350 I had Goodyear eagle f1 and felt no movement in the wet either.
It could be tyres. Have a look on a tyre supplier website and see what the wet rating is for your tyres. If they are A or B rating they should grip well in wet conditions.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,559 Posts
I had the same problem and got a Continental tyre engineer to come out and look at my tyres.

He asked what the movement felt like and I described a skipping feeling under my bum.
He checked the tyre pressure and recommend that I increase them slightly, they were a little bit low. The symptoms I gave him, he explained it may be skipping slightly from wall to wall due to the lower pressure.
The tyres had 60% tread depth and was the rear only that was moving around.

I haven't been out in heavy rain since.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,257 Posts
Assuming tyres in good condition/tread
Check out Conti site for recommended pressure.

A lot of us on here play with pressure depending on weather and driving style.
Key word is 'recommended'.

Is this happening in S/S+ mode?
If so, try C mode.

I don't have a 43 but in the three cars that I have driven regularly (230/350/55)
that behaviour has been make (Conti should be fine), pressure & wear.
I drive the 55 in all weathers (including snow) and have no issue.

If adjusting pressure/ using C mode does not help and tyres in good condition,
I suggest getting tracking checked. Maybe something is out.
Costs roughly £40-60 depending if they need to adjust.

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
347 Posts
I have Continental Contisports on my SLK55. They have 6mm of tread and the only time I have aqua planed was doing 120mph on a very wet runway.
you do know that thing wont fly no matter how fast you go !

Not had any issue with aqua planing but did have grip issues with the old tryes, they had plenty of tread but were old, I put it down to the rubber breaking down. No issue with the new ones.

·
Long Time Member 2005 SLK350
3,707 Posts
For me its down to the amount of standing water and speed , the front tyres leave a path for the rear and with the rear being wider than the front the outer edges of the rear tyres ride up on the uncleared water giving you that O>:D>:D feeling .
Tyre pressures , tred depth ect are all key factors

Best thing I have found it let a 55 clear a path for you and follow him :smile:

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
164 Posts
Recent wet weather has had me aqua planing more than expected - wondering if this is a trait of the car or maybe the oem continental tyres? Previous 2 cars were Bmw 330d and BMW Z4 , both with 225 front and 255 rear tyres, so I am used to wide tyres (slc43 has 235 and 255)

Not had any problems in mine, and I use 2.2 bar front and 2.6 bar rear as per the numbers on the fuel filler cap

I have the same conti contact sport 5 as when I purchased the car, and the tread depth is about 5mm front and rears

·
Registered 2018 SLC43
169 Posts
I have same problem with mine on Conti Sport Contacts, very disconcerting!!

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,601 Posts
My front & rear Conti's are down to ~5mm for some reason..??
The other Sunday I had a very wet drive down to Southern Hampshire and though it "pulled" when I went through one deep puddle, I don't think it aquaplaned as such - But I was being careful & avoiding the large puddles:

I will most likely try "Michelin Pilot Sport 4" next year, when they get near 3mm..
Other Tyres choice's were discussed on this SLKworld Thread: https://www.slkworld.com/tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/499465-any-experience-these-tyres-55-amg.html

One thing I will add for all owners here in the UK, I checked the tyre pressures the other day and all 4 x tyres had lost or dropped a few "psi" due to the cooler temperatures?
So I pumped them up to 33 & 39psi, (32/38 is shown in the filler cap for summer tyres) as temperatures will only be getting cooler....

·
Registered 2019 SLC43
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I need to eat some humble pie / apologise to continental tyres....
It turns out the original tyres are on the indicator on all 4 tyres, so it wasn’t either the car or the tyre make, just wear. I have winter tyres on now, and problem solved! Also the tyre jump when trying to park on full lock has now disappeared.

I am however shocked at getting through all 4 tyres in 700 miles....

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,189 Posts
Yup, 700 mi is very low--unless you drive it like you stole it ?. But still...

Fronts wear more (on these MB) due to camber but rears, well rears because she's got +400 ponies riding in there ?

I had new contis on Schwarzie when I bought her but they lasted about 16K km IIRC (so ~ 10,000 mi) but as I said, I did drive it like I stole it (a lot of the time).

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
73 Posts
700 miles!!! That sounds awful, unless you’re using it ‘full blooded’ on a track. I’d expect about 10x that when using the car for normal driving.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG w/P30
102 Posts
Aquaplaning is related to tires, speed, and tire pressure. The aquaplaning speed in miles per hour is about equal to 10.35 times the square root of the tire pressure in PSI.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350 sold/now 2018 SL400
293 Posts
Also consider the age of your tyres How I remember at the skid pad session Rockingham, the cars shod with older but otherwise perfect tyres struggled.
Mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts