Mercedes SLK World banner

Conti tyres only, good condition, bad weather. Do you aquaplane?

• Not at all

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Rarely

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Often

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Recent wet weather has had me aqua planing more than expected - wondering if this is a trait of the car or maybe the oem continental tyres? Previous 2 cars were Bmw 330d and BMW Z4 , both with 225 front and 255 rear tyres, so I am used to wide tyres (slc43 has 235 and 255)
My pressures are 200 and 260 from memory

[Edit
Poll added as we now have at least two members with concerns.
This is for continental tyres only]

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
I have been driving my 55 in the rain of the past few weeks and the only time I felt movement was when my rears needed replacing.
I have a new set of rears now and it grips well in the wet again.
I have Pirelli p zeros but on my old R171 350 I had Goodyear eagle f1 and felt no movement in the wet either.
It could be tyres. Have a look on a tyre supplier website and see what the wet rating is for your tyres. If they are A or B rating they should grip well in wet conditions.

·
Premium Member
3,464 Posts
I had the same problem and got a Continental tyre engineer to come out and look at my tyres.

He asked what the movement felt like and I described a skipping feeling under my bum.
He checked the tyre pressure and recommend that I increase them slightly, they were a little bit low. The symptoms I gave him, he explained it may be skipping slightly from wall to wall due to the lower pressure.
The tyres had 60% tread depth and was the rear only that was moving around.

I haven't been out in heavy rain since.

·
Super Moderator
24,779 Posts
Assuming tyres in good condition/tread
Check out Conti site for recommended pressure.

A lot of us on here play with pressure depending on weather and driving style.
Key word is 'recommended'.

Is this happening in S/S+ mode?
If so, try C mode.

I don't have a 43 but in the three cars that I have driven regularly (230/350/55)
that behaviour has been make (Conti should be fine), pressure & wear.
I drive the 55 in all weathers (including snow) and have no issue.

If adjusting pressure/ using C mode does not help and tyres in good condition,
I suggest getting tracking checked. Maybe something is out.
Costs roughly £40-60 depending if they need to adjust.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have Continental Contisports on my SLK55. They have 6mm of tread and the only time I have aqua planed was doing 120mph on a very wet runway.
you do know that thing wont fly no matter how fast you go !

Not had any issue with aqua planing but did have grip issues with the old tryes, they had plenty of tread but were old, I put it down to the rubber breaking down. No issue with the new ones.

·
Long Time Member
3,671 Posts
For me its down to the amount of standing water and speed , the front tyres leave a path for the rear and with the rear being wider than the front the outer edges of the rear tyres ride up on the uncleared water giving you that O>:D>:D feeling .
Tyre pressures , tred depth ect are all key factors

Best thing I have found it let a 55 clear a path for you and follow him :smile:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Recent wet weather has had me aqua planing more than expected - wondering if this is a trait of the car or maybe the oem continental tyres? Previous 2 cars were Bmw 330d and BMW Z4 , both with 225 front and 255 rear tyres, so I am used to wide tyres (slc43 has 235 and 255)

Not had any problems in mine, and I use 2.2 bar front and 2.6 bar rear as per the numbers on the fuel filler cap

I have the same conti contact sport 5 as when I purchased the car, and the tread depth is about 5mm front and rears

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have same problem with mine on Conti Sport Contacts, very disconcerting!!

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
My front & rear Conti's are down to ~5mm for some reason..??
The other Sunday I had a very wet drive down to Southern Hampshire and though it "pulled" when I went through one deep puddle, I don't think it aquaplaned as such - But I was being careful & avoiding the large puddles:

I will most likely try "Michelin Pilot Sport 4" next year, when they get near 3mm..
Other Tyres choice's were discussed on this SLKworld Thread: https://www.slkworld.com/tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/499465-any-experience-these-tyres-55-amg.html

One thing I will add for all owners here in the UK, I checked the tyre pressures the other day and all 4 x tyres had lost or dropped a few "psi" due to the cooler temperatures?
So I pumped them up to 33 & 39psi, (32/38 is shown in the filler cap for summer tyres) as temperatures will only be getting cooler....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I need to eat some humble pie / apologise to continental tyres....
It turns out the original tyres are on the indicator on all 4 tyres, so it wasn’t either the car or the tyre make, just wear. I have winter tyres on now, and problem solved! Also the tyre jump when trying to park on full lock has now disappeared.

I am however shocked at getting through all 4 tyres in 700 miles....

·
Super Moderator
11,502 Posts
Yup, 700 mi is very low--unless you drive it like you stole it 🤭. But still...

Fronts wear more (on these MB) due to camber but rears, well rears because she's got +400 ponies riding in there 😉

I had new contis on Schwarzie when I bought her but they lasted about 16K km IIRC (so ~ 10,000 mi) but as I said, I did drive it like I stole it (a lot of the time).

·
Registered
71 Posts
700 miles!!! That sounds awful, unless you’re using it ‘full blooded’ on a track. I’d expect about 10x that when using the car for normal driving.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Also consider the age of your tyres How I remember at the skid pad session Rockingham, the cars shod with older but otherwise perfect tyres struggled.
Mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts