Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· *Registered
2005 SLK350
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I bought a 2005 SLK350 a few months ago and been trying to figure out a vibration. Has a slight side to side wobble at slow speed (5mph to about 25 mph). Had a steering wheel vibration (moderate) from 25/30 to about 65/70 which then smoothed out 80%.

Balanced tires, alignment, balanced and aligned again (different shop). Replaced tires and balanced ... finally had rims checked by a good rim/wheel repair shop ... they said rims are true and they balanced again. Still has slight low speed wobble but wheel vibration is 85% gone.

Wheels are not factory and have spacers ... before I buy new wheels, I wondered if anyone with factory rims would let me meet them and swap to run it around the block a bit to see if it is the spacers? I'd seriously appreciate it and bring you a bottle of your favorite libation.

Thanks, John

· *Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG, 2015 SLK350, 2007 SLK350
37 Posts
Hi all, I bought a 2005 SLK350 a few months ago and been trying to figure out a vibration. Has a slight side to side wobble at slow speed (5mph to about 25 mph). Had a steering wheel vibration (moderate) from 25/30 to about 65/70 which then smoothed out 80%.

Balanced tires, alignment, balanced and aligned again (different shop). Replaced tires and balanced ... finally had rims checked by a good rim/wheel repair shop ... they said rims are true and they balanced again. Still has slight low speed wobble but wheel vibration is 85% gone.

Wheels are not factory and have spacers ... before I buy new wheels, I wondered if anyone with factory rims would let me meet them and swap to run it around the block a bit to see if it is the spacers? I'd seriously appreciate it and bring you a bottle of your favorite libation.

Thanks, John
I have an 07, I am in Kissimmee Fl. I am available during the day. Also, have you checked the brake rotors ? Does the vibration happens during braking?
Juan

· *Registered
2005 SLK350
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Juan,

Thanks so much. I did have a mechanic check the entire car shortly after I bought it (left it with him for 2 months while I was overseas) ... he said brakes, bearings, etc, were all fine ... he did replace a lower control arm on each side (due to bushing wear). Vibration is not under braking (light or heavy).

I could easily drive to Kissimmee and would of course appreciate the opportunity to isolate whether it's the wheel spacers. Are you available on the weekend during the day at all?

My number is xxxxxx convo sent... thanks

· Founding Member 2006
116,071 Posts
convo sent with phone number to Juan

your phone number removed from above

worldwide forum... i am sure u do not want spam

· *Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG, 2015 SLK350, 2007 SLK350
37 Posts
Hi Juan,

Thanks so much. I did have a mechanic check the entire car shortly after I bought it (left it with him for 2 months while I was overseas) ... he said brakes, bearings, etc, were all fine ... he did replace a lower control arm on each side (due to bushing wear). Vibration is not under braking (light or heavy).

I could easily drive to Kissimmee and would of course appreciate the opportunity to isolate whether it's the wheel spacers. Are you available on the weekend during the day at all?

My number is xxxxxx convo sent... thanks
I will be leaving next Saturday and return 7 days later, after that I am available

· *Registered
2005 SLK350
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will be leaving next Saturday and return 7 days later, after that I am available
Thanks, I may actually be coming to Orlando February 12th but will likely not have free time (my daughter is going to enter her 1st Autocross) ... I leave the 18th for SE Asia again for a month ... let me see if I can work something out (thanks again)

· *Registered
2005 SLK350
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hope your vacation is great ... I was actually able to swap rims with another SLK member in Sarasota this past Saturday. Note to all - yes, it was in fact the wheel spacers that were causing all my issues. Upon swapping, the car rode completely smooth - also, I found that even with the spacers, the right/front rim was actually just slightly catching the caliper (see photo) ... Ordered new rims this morning with a 'fitment guarantee' without the use of any spacers or hub rings.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts