Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
33 Posts
Hey Dave,

Yeah except yours :LOL: TBH I don't know any reputable garages in my 50km area (might be a good idea to start one:unsure:)

Yeah I usually order from eBay as well. Not many people break SLKs in Hungary (or even own one) so finding parts locally is almost impossible and sometimes more expensive than ordering one from abroad.

Thanks for the offer but I'll give this sensor one more chance and maybe try the old one. Will keep this thread updated once I get back home. ;)

Matty
Hi all, been looking at ya issue, of the lateral acc sensor, I use a firm in Birmingham, have watched enough motor shows like WD and ole brewer goes into a firm that just breaks mercedes of all models, with a bit of a dig about I could find it, or one could Google car sos as they are based in Birmingham and have a large motor factor's local to there address it worth a punt if ya wanting oe parts for secondhand money, let me know it goes :cool:

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K, 2001 SLK320
1,491 Posts
Hi all, been looking at ya issue, of the lateral acc sensor, I use a firm in Birmingham, have watched enough motor shows like WD and ole brewer goes into a firm that just breaks mercedes of all models, with a bit of a dig about I could find it, or one could Google car sos as they are based in Birmingham and have a large motor factor's local to there address it worth a punt if ya wanting oe parts for secondhand money, let me know it goes :cool:
Ol' Brewer used Dronsfields up in Oldham (y)

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,742 Posts
I must admit I only use Dronsfield if no one else has got a part ...........

The "Mercedes Tax" can be a bit high ;)

There are a few London way who are good Indie MB Breakers, and also the Eastern Europeans are very honest and have all sorts of good and hard to get parts stashed away, like the Powerfold R170 Mirrors and Switch I bought recently ;)

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
33 Posts
I must admit I only use Dronsfield if no one else has got a part ...........

The "Mercedes Tax" can be a bit high ;)

There are a few London way who are good Indie MB Breakers, and also the Eastern Europeans are very honest and have all sorts of good and hard to get parts stashed away, like the Powerfold R170 Mirrors and Switch I bought recently ;)

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
33 Posts
Aya Dave, I totally argree, but must say that looking on my missus fb motors for sale, there's a gold mine of goodies, as soon as I brought my 98 slk lovely, I had to get some alloys, after a few minutes of wailing through post n general tosh I found this guy who was breaking an 2001 slk230 and brought them to refurb, and to my surprise he gave me £300worth of dash and center console with all the switches really cool so I sent them off too get flax pau leatherette to cover all that rubbish paint that mercedes want you to cough up £20 odd to dab on as soon as ya done it ya leg rubs it off so that was pants so ill wait till its all done can't wait to see it all..

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hello!

Just arrived back from calibrating the sensor (the one I bought). It looks like I have succeeded but I have some doubts. The first few times were a failure but at one point the ABS light went out (along with the warning triangle) but the BAS/ESP stayed. I hooked the scanner on the car and the fault code became 'historic' and the lateral acc readings were normal. After deleting the code and restarting the car the light was off so I drove about 50kms (with top down:love:) and everything seemed alright. Got home, restarted the car once more, still no fault on the dashboard or in the scanner.
One thing I noticed: the yaw sensor is still all around the place. It might be bad as well?:unsure:
Anyways will keep an eye on it throughout the weekend to see if anything comes back before I start to celebrate.

Thanks for all the help,

Matty

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
33 Posts
Hello!

Just arrived back from calibrating the sensor (the one I bought). It looks like I have succeeded but I have some doubts. The first few times were a failure but at one point the ABS light went out (along with the warning triangle) but the BAS/ESP stayed. I hooked the scanner on the car and the fault code became 'historic' and the lateral acc readings were normal. After deleting the code and restarting the car the light was off so I drove about 50kms (with top down:love:) and everything seemed alright. Got home, restarted the car once more, still no fault on the dashboard or in the scanner.
One thing I noticed: the yaw sensor is still all around the place. It might be bad as well?:unsure:
Anyways will keep an eye on it throughout the weekend to see if anything comes back before I start to celebrate.

Aya matty, was just browsing ya post, and what the feck is a yaw sensor do when it's not even on my many to do list of electrical parts, as have only had my slk for just over month now and I don't care if its got problems it's all sortable, so wtf is a yaw, please enlighten me!!, slk98

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hey,
It basically tracks how far the car is tilting in a corner. It's located behind the shifter under the center console along with the lateral acc sensor

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
33 Posts
Hey,
It basically tracks how far the car is tilting in a corner. It's located behind the shifter under the center console along with the lateral acc sensor
Oh that one, yeah is was one of the first things I did I went to a breakers yard to get mine bargain and brought some other stuff

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,742 Posts
Oh that one, yeah is was one of the first things I did I went to a breakers yard to get mine bargain and brought some other stuff
But have you Re Calibrated it, as explained in this thread, posts # 2, # 5, # 6, # 8, #9, #11, #12 etc ????

One thing I noticed: the yaw sensor is still all around the place. It might be bad as well?
I have often had to replace them one shortly after the other, but that said, unless you get a Warning Light / Code, leave it well alone ;) .............

"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It" 🤣

HTH,

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
33 Posts
I never knew my pocket would suffer as much as I budgeted
Too replace the wings I have from the fatherland it's definitely taking a beating I mean I do want my slk looking as good the day it left the factory ahhh memories :cool:

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
33 Posts
As for the electronics it's something that needs to be looked at as the alarm has never gone off and I can see parts of the wiring has been disturbed my main concerns was the ignition switches so upon dismantle the switch was lack a d smelled of overheated and a melted junction box halalooya so £200 later and a box of tricks later alls well everything working as should coz some things weren't now all is cool this because someone decided to bypassing the fuel pump heck that was fun leaking pump didn't help either so instead of secondhand one I brought a new one Bang goes the budget but now it no smells of fuel cool hydraulic pump topped up alls well and the answer to the lateral acc sensor yep an auto spark guy who lives 2 doors away done it for a few beers so now like I said previously it's all about the bodywork and alloys

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,742 Posts
Too replace the wings I have from the fatherland it's definitely taking a beating I mean I do want my slk looking as good the day it left the factory ahhh memories
Try here :-

I will be replacing my right front Wing (Fender) next year and I will simply weld a small patch inside the Indicator Repeater hole and filler before paintwork, I've seen the price of post Facelift Wings from MB 🤣 (and I get a hefty "Trade Account Holders" discount) ;)

HTH,

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
33 Posts
Cool thanks but I had the doshola when my mother passed away a 2 years ago and it wasn't very much money either but helped me get this slk which I love so I saved a few beans and went shopping I got the wings at the right time as they are now 350 for the pair I got them for 280 free post and the side repeaters plus the weather seal strips and the sealant which is grey and a screwdriver with rubber greese just need a decent day of sunshine and no nipple showing off from the misuss

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I have often had to replace them one shortly after the other, but that said, unless you get a Warning Light / Code, leave it well alone ;) .............

"If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It" 🤣
Hey,
Yeah no light or code. Drove it today for a few minutes to get to my workshop to replace the tie rods (gave up on this one, couldn't do it alone :LOL:). No errors so far with the lateral sensor. ESP turns on and off with the button nicely so I'm starting to think it is resolved. 🥳

Thanks
Matty

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
33 Posts
You've got a workshop that Interesting is it located near the southwest of England pray tell otherwise I gotta rent a bay for a day OK ya get use of some air tools but ya gotta bring ya own tools which is an issue coz the boot ain't big enough so I gotta plan it with least amount of tools and other stuff

21 - 40 of 53 Posts