Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a small vibration through the steering wheel after I upgraded my wheels to 19 inch.
I have had the wheels balanced twice and they seem correct.
So I thought one of the trackrod ends may be faulty.
I have ordered a pair and would like some help fitting them.
I have had a 4 wheel alignment done 2 years ago with the stock wheels fitted but the vibration started from when I fitted the new wheels.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Padgett

Thanks for the reply.

The wheels are 19x8.5 et30 front and 19x9.5 et32

·
Registered 2007 SLK350
562 Posts
Also check wheels are running true!

If the hub gets a knock it can go slightly out of true, causing an inbalance. Spin each wheel and check rim run-out.

I also had an issue on my MG TFwhere the front disks had not centralised correctly (had not tightened up the retaining screw before putting wheel on), and were also running out, resulting in a slight vibration at speed.

Finaly if the trackrod end is worn, you should be able to check it when the front is jacked up and feel for play in the steering on each front wheel.

If you replace track rod ends you still need an alighnment doing, so easiest to just let your local garage do it. Make sure they have a lazer alighnment tool to check it, and give you a printout.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also check wheels are running true!

If the hub gets a knock it can go slightly out of true, causing an inbalance. Spin each wheel and check rim run-out.

I also had an issue on my MG TFwhere the front disks had not centralised correctly (had not tightened up the retaining screw before putting wheel on), and were also running out, resulting in a slight vibration at speed.

Finaly if the trackrod end is worn, you should be able to check it when the front is jacked up and feel for play in the steering on each front wheel.

If you replace track rod ends you still need an alighnment doing, so easiest to just let your local garage do it. Make sure they have a lazer alighnment tool to check it, and give you a printout.
I want to install the trackrod ends anyway as if it turns out its not the problem I can rule it out but I hope it is.
the rubber bushings have 60000 miles on them so I would have thought they have become worn enough to cause a vibration through the steering wheel.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,037 Posts
1 Simplest thing is to put the standard wheels back on if you still have them ?

2 If vibration is not there then its your alloys or tyres on the rims / wheel balancing issue .

3 If there is no movement in track rod end is not worn or has the slightest movement it is NOT the track rod end !

4 You answered your own question “ I have had a 4 wheel alignment done 2 years ago with the stock wheels fitted but the vibration started from when I fitted the new wheels. “

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FIXED:smile:

Turns out the alloy wheel spigot rings were faulty(too big).
I just ordered a new set of better quality ones and the vibration is now gone.

Thanks for all the replys guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts