Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I plugged my new (to me - its a second hand MUX made in France) kit in and it wouldn't connect.
The screen seems to be saying either there is a fault in one of the cables or there is no power to the MUX from the 38 pin on the car.
It does not of course cover the possibility that the MUX itself is faulty.
I have a suspicion that the issue might be in the cable from the PC to the MUX - see photo. The fastener is/was a little loose....but how to test? The plastic part of the connection is solid on the cable.
As far as the voltage from the 38 pin socket is concerned I believe this may possibly be OK because I can run a test sequence with a Foxwell scanner and I assume it's MUX gets the power the same way the Merc one does.
One possibility to test things is to connect the kit to an internal diagnostics socket on my year 2000 Saab. Obviously it wouldn't run but I might get past the error screen. If so that would confirm the MUX was powering up. Or would that be a really foolish thing to do?

Help needed - thank you!;):coffee::coffee::coffee:

PS Where/what is the toolkit referred to in the error message?

Attachments

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,112 Posts
do you want us to move your thread to the
xentry/das/start section?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Hi @Rofa

Don't plug it into another Car, not all Diag Sockets on Cars are wired the same, only some pins so it is theoretically possible that you could damage either Multiplexer or Car.

Does your Car only have the 38 pin Socket or does it have 16 pin Socket as well ?? IIRC all R170's have the 16 pin, and some earlier ones have the 38 pin, but I'm not certain .............

I shouldn't have to ask that, but see below .........

@i860 may well know more than me here because I don't do much with earlier SLK's with 38 pin socket, of my Customers, and my own most of the R170's I see up here are Post Facelift, all the earlier ones have rusted away by now ;)
I do know that some have both 38 pin and 16 pin, and you will only get into certain Modules with one Socket and the other Modules via the other ................

IIRC it will be the Modules that use the HHT Win Emulator that need it plugged into 38 pin and the "main" ones like Engine Trans ABS / ESP will be via 16 pin, and if you are in the wrong Socket you will get errors and problems.

The error in your picture is quite common, but shouldn't happen frequently.
Sometimes, (rarely) if I get that error, power it down and unplug all connectors and re plug them, plus a re boot and then it all works fine, worth a shot as that's all I got right now ;)

HTH,

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Prompt response gentleman - very much appreciated!

@jbanks15 - not sure Jeff - probably best although that section is under the 171 forum? But yes, why not.

@Dave2302 - only the 38 pin. Seems the SLK was a bit odd in the way it migrated from 38 to 16. Interesting to note that you say the error does arise occasionally. I did reboot once after removing all the cables and re-installing them. I'll try again and failing any other advice maybe try and get a replacement cable. I should really try to identify pins 30 and 31 and see if there is a voltage there as well I suppose.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,112 Posts
Prompt response gentleman - very much appreciated!

@jbanks15 - not sure Jeff - probably best although that section is under the 171 forum? But yes, why not.

@Dave2302 - only the 38 pin. Seems the SLK was a bit odd in the way it migrated from 38 to 16. Interesting to note that you say the error does arise occasionally. I did reboot once after removing all the cables and re-installing them. I'll try again and failing any other advice maybe try and get a replacement cable. I should really try to identify pins 30 and 31 and see if there is a voltage there as well I suppose.

we left it in r171 though the thread pertains to all 3 generations as not to have it replicated in 3 sections

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Is the Green LED on the side of Mux lighting up when you plug into the Car, if so then it has +ve and Earth ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No green light that I saw Dave. It's definitely a clue:rolleyes:. Many thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you @efair. The toolkit that is mentioned, is that buried somewhere in Xentry or is it only available on line....not going there of course?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
No green light that I saw Dave. It's definitely a clue:rolleyes:. Many thanks!
Green LED is here .......

It should light with just being plugged into Car, even without being connected to the Laptop, if it's not powered it won't Communicate, could be a Fuse gone on the Car ;)

BTW, mine is definitely Chinese despite what the sticker says, but this model with Light Grey end pieces is the best, (Chiyaneesy), that you can get ;) ................

I got that message often due to a bad Ethernet cable.
C4 uses Ethernet Cable (or WI Fi) to communicate with Laptop, C3 uses Native Serial Port ;)

Like I said, I don't get it very often, usually when coming out of HHT and back to DAS, and sometimes just a gentle wiggle of plugs and maybe a reboot of Lappy sorts it but if that Green LED is not lit nowt will Communicate with owt ;)

HTH

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The toolkit that is mentioned, is that buried somewhere in Xentry or is it only available on line....not going there of course?
Slow down lol, I cannae keep up,

Toolkit is available by clicking the Mux Icons on the bottom right of the Screens Task Bar 'amabob' ;)

HTH,

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The vendor has just answered the question re toolkit

Look for the Star Utilities button on the home screen . It looks like a coloured square .
It will open up the tool kit .
Then look for the Self Diagnosis button .
Press
Then look for Caesor self diagnosis option
You must have computer connected and leads connected to car obd .
Then press start .

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Look for the Star Utilities button on the home screen . It looks like a coloured square .
It will open up the tool kit .
Then look for the Self Diagnosis button .
Press
Then look for Caesor self diagnosis option
You must have computer connected and leads connected to car obd .
Then press start .
Ahhh, ok that's not something I've ever tried, there is a Mux Toolbox where I said, but thinking about it maybe that only applies to my C4 systems with later s/w, that is where I configure the C4's WiFi and LAN Connections so probably not there on my C3 based system ;)

Yeah, I'm jacking it in for the night very shortly ;)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Hi again @Rofa ....................

Wait wait wait lol ..................

I just looked at that message in your picture again, it says "SD Connect " .............. Which is a C4, so as you have C3 tool kit "amabob" may not work ;)

HTH,

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
OK Dave thanks. For posterity if nothing else I've found the pin out for the 38

If I don't get a green light I can probe this. Just need to locate the fuse......

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Many thanks @i860. Just had a quick check and the green light is not on so for the moment I need to work on that, but may very well get back to you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts