Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered 2016 SLK55 AMG
95 Posts
The car is going in for its 2yr B1 service on Saturday, with just over 7k miles on the clock. Not driven as much as I'd like, but love every minute I'm in it, try to keep it for the drier/sunny days not that we get many in South Wales lol. Nothing major to add to the service, other than the following, annoying noises which were reported on 1st service, but usual dealer reply "couldn't find anything", so thought I'd put this out there, and hopefully get some advice for me and maybe the dealer to resolve

Ok, intermittent break squeal seems common with AMG, but they're having a look.

Top up - getting some wind noise from drivers side, coming from rear quarter window by the sounds, at anything over 50mph, difficult to locate exactly where. Seals have been gummi'd, and fitting of window/seals look ok to my untrained eye. Have also done a hard reset on the windows.

Top down - now this is really odd, there is a strange sort of knocking noise coming from drivers door, or rear panel area, sounds similar to central locking engaging/disengaging, when driving slowly on uneven surfaces, pulling away/stopping at junctions etc. not loud but loud enough to really annoy me.

Could the above two be linked somehow? I know they're trivial, but I tend to focus in on the noises whilst driving, it really annoys me, and I'm not confident dealer will do anything again.

Wasn't sure about posting this, as it does seem trivial, but its got to me, and with the car going into the dealer be grateful for any info/advice from the forum.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,615 Posts
does it sound like this?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,615 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,411 Posts
Look over your shoulder nearest to the door, roof up.

There's a hole where the roof mech passes through.
Should have felt on the covering flap.

If you don't hear it roof down, that's may be the source.

The wind noise probably means the gaps need adjusting.

·
Registered 2016 SLK55 AMG
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your advice, but when Id read the PDF for window alignment, knew it was too much for me, plus the car is under warranty.

Car went back into Dealers this week for the issues, had it Mon to Thu, but can I say thanks a BIG thanks to a really good engineer at the dealers, who came out with me for a drive and fully understood and heard the issues.

Top up - wind noise was due to slight split in one of the rear quarter rubber seals, but also slight door/window alignment being out, a lot of work to rectify, but now no noise. He also used the MB rubber sealant compound on all the seals.

Top down - again due to the door alignment and seals, spent quite a bit of time to identify the issue.

This car is a pleasure to drive, but even more so for me now with these two small but annoying issues out of the way, due to the perseverance of the engineer. Also came out for a drive when picking up the car, and explained everything he'd done. Excellent work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks all for your advice, but when Id read the PDF for window alignment, knew it was too much for me, plus the car is under warranty.

Car went back into Dealers this week for the issues, had it Mon to Thu, but can I say thanks a BIG thanks to a really good engineer at the dealers, who came out with me for a drive and fully understood and heard the issues.

Top up - wind noise was due to slight split in one of the rear quarter rubber seals, but also slight door/window alignment being out, a lot of work to rectify, but now no noise. He also used the MB rubber sealant compound on all the seals.

Top down - again due to the door alignment and seals, spent quite a bit of time to identify the issue.

This car is a pleasure to drive, but even more so for me now with these two small but annoying issues out of the way, due to the perseverance of the engineer. Also came out for a drive when picking up the car, and explained everything he'd done. Excellent work.
Good result, worth naming the dealer and individual if OK, sounds like others might find them useful?

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,411 Posts

Good result, worth naming the dealer and individual if OK, sounds like others might find them useful?

As if by magic, there is a section for this Mercedes Benz Repair Shops - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum
with a UK sub section United Kingdom - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

1 - 8 of 8 Posts