Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi everybody!
I'm new here so I hope this post is in the right place.

I bought a 2005 SLK 3.5 a couple of months ago and have been having a mini-nightmare with the aircon.

I bought the car from a dealer during the very hot weather and the air conditioning wasn't working so he told me to go and get it regassed and he would pay for it. I did so but this did not resolve the problem. I took it to my local 'Mercedes only' garage and they said it was probably a sensor or the compressor.
The dealer then arranged for the car to be picked up and looked at by his engineer who replaced the sensor (it being the cheapest option)...the car came back but it still wasn't working.
He then arranged for me to bring the car in and his engineer would replace the sensor again "in case it was faulty".
Following replacement, the air conditioning was ice cold but (and here's the problem) it only works on cool days. If the temperature is below about 19 degrees, everything is ok. As the temperature starts to increase it takes progressively longer for the vents to produce cold air. A week or so ago the outside temperature got to 23C and it took 14 minutes for the vents to get cold. When they did so it was a sudden drop from lukewarm to cold as if the compressor had just kicked in.
I bought a cheap OBD2 reader but that didn't show any fault codes. I then thought about buying an icarsoft i980 but have a feeling it won't help.
I've been reading so much about disconnecting batteries/STAR resets/failing compressors/ failed circuit board capacitors etc. that I'm losing the will to live and have actually considered selling the car and cutting my losses. If anybody can shed any light on a possible solution or recommend my next course of action I would be most grateful.
The dealer wants his mechanic to carry out any repairs to reduce the cost, so unless I can come up with a definitive part/parts to replace I will have to foot the bill myself.

Hellllllllllllllllllllp !

Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
My help is do not use phone emoticons

to you, it looks ok 馃檭

to the forum not on phones, it looks like this

& # x 1 f 6 4 3 ;

use forum emoticons if you have to

Registered
Hi everybody!
I'm new here so I hope this post is in the right place. 馃檭

I bought a 2005 SLK 3.5 a couple of months ago and have been having a mini-nightmare with the aircon.

I bought the car from a dealer during the very hot weather and the air conditioning wasn't working so he told me to go and get it regassed and he would pay for it. I did so but this did not resolve the problem. I took it to my local 'Mercedes only' garage and they said it was probably a sensor or the compressor.
The dealer then arranged for the car to be picked up and looked at by his engineer who replaced the sensor (it being the cheapest option)...the car came back but it still wasn't working.
He then arranged for me to bring the car in and his engineer would replace the sensor again "in case it was faulty".
Following replacement, the air conditioning was ice cold but (and here's the problem) it only works on cool days. If the temperature is below about 19 degrees, everything is ok. As the temperature starts to increase it takes progressively longer for the vents to produce cold air. A week or so ago the outside temperature got to 23C and it took 14 minutes for the vents to get cold. When they did so it was a sudden drop from lukewarm to cold as if the compressor had just kicked in.
I bought a cheap OBD2 reader but that didn't show any fault codes. I then thought about buying an icarsoft i980 but have a feeling it won't help.
I've been reading so much about disconnecting batteries/STAR resets/failing compressors/ failed circuit board capacitors etc. that I'm losing the will to live and have actually considered selling the car and cutting my losses. If anybody can shed any light on a possible solution or recommend my next course of action I would be most grateful.
The dealer wants his mechanic to carry out any repairs to reduce the cost, so unless I can come up with a definitive part/parts to replace I will have to foot the bill myself.

It sounds from your description that the people looking at your car up to this point are guessing as to the possible probelm and not doing an indepth diagnosis. Guessing and swapping parts is never a viable solution. The car needs to be diagnosed by a competent technician/engineer that has the appropriate tools such as the MB/Star. But, it has to go deeper than just having that tool as they must be able to confirm the conclusion before installing another new part (or multiple version of them).

When you find this shop bring back here any conclusions before the repair is completed. This should include the fault codes they were working with as we can probably help give you some thoughts on it before you take the plunge.

As an example we know that when the fault code is "9000 Compressor Shorted" this is much more likely the capacitors in the front SAM and not the compressor as this has been a common issue. A lot of people have spent thousands replacing compressors to only turn around and repalce the SAM.

Your car is not behaving in the way we typically hear, but it could be any number of issues at the base of the problem. We need fault codes that support the conditions and you need a properly trained engineer that is not just guessing.

Registered
Hi everybody!
I'm new here so I hope this post is in the right place. 馃檭

A cheap OBD2 reader will get you nowhere with these problems. They don't show any faults in the A/C system.
You would need at least something like a iCarsoft i980 or preferably a DAS/STAR machine. And equally important, someone who knows how to use it.
Hard to tell what exactly could be the problem, can be a variety of things. But to give you something to start with here's some more information on MB climate control. Contains some pointers as to what could be the culprit.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yRzjdMNNIlzgLvEB63x2uSBg5LFxWeDm

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your thoughts... I feel exactly the same way about it. I resent the 拢50 plus scan cost before any work is carried out as I obviously have to cover that cost myself (the reason I was thinking of buying a scanner which I could then resell).

Registered
Why do you not just take it back to the dealer and tell him to fix it! Its not your problem.

If he doesnt fix it you want a full refund, plus your expenses on it so far.

Alternatively take it to a reputable garage who can fix it, get it fixed and claim from the dealer. You have given him the opportunity to remedy the fault, and he has failed.

If that is not apealing to you then an iCarSoft scanner will give some information, such as gas pressure, fault status, and temeperatures around the system, as well as vent opening positions, but you need to understand this information.

peter

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Peter, you're absolutely right of course...I've been the one who's under pressure to get it fixed - the car has done about 150 miles just trying to get it sorted out! Buying from a dealer a 45-minute drive away in Wales hasn't made the situation easier.
The real problem is I'm far too nice...

Premium Member
I have an icarsoft and I am just up the road (so to speak) so if you want to pop over and use it your more than welcome.
I know from my 171 that needed a bit of air con work that the system needs to be reset before it will work correctly after anything has been replaced or regassed etc so it may be worth a try.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Mugs,
That's a very kind offer and one I would certainly be interested in trying it out before I take it to Mercedes! I'm looking after my mum who has a bit (sometimes a lot!) of dementia, so getting away isn't always easy but if you gave me a couple of days warning it shouldn't be a problem. Sorry about the delay in replying but as you can imagine I've got a lot on at the moment!
Ian

Registered
It is very likely it is the front SAM. There is a thread here with "intermittent AC" in the title and it details how to replace the capacitors inside. I am doing mine shortly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I noticed the capacitor replacement post previously and thought that might be worth a look.Thanks for all of your help and suggestions... they really are greatly appreciated.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
An update in case anyone is interested.

I booked my car in with Parkway Automobile Engineering in Fishponds to have a scan carried out to look for any fault codes. They got back to me very quickly and said that there was only half the gas there should be in the system (although it's supposedly been regassed twice). They used UV dye but could not find any leaks. Immediately I tried the aircon out it was significantly colder than it had ever been before, so fingers crossed it may be the solution. I was very pleasantly surprised when they did not charge me for the scan or regass and simply said that if it was still working well after a couple of months to let them know and he would invoice me. Very fair (and equally rare!)
I would certainly recommend them...

Registered
An update in case anyone is interested.

I booked my car in with Parkway Automobile Engineering in Fishponds to have a scan carried out to look for any fault codes. They got back to me very quickly and said that there was only half the gas there should be in the system (although it's supposedly been regassed twice). They used UV dye but could not find any leaks. Immediately I tried the aircon out it was significantly colder than it had ever been before, so fingers crossed it may be the solution. I was very pleasantly surprised when they did not charge me for the scan or regass and simply said that if it was still working well after a couple of months to let them know and he would invoice me. Very fair (and equally rare!)
I would certainly recommend them...
Sounds like you have found a good shop.

Registered
Lucky you!
My AC only blows cold air while driving on highway.
I power washed my condenser, checked my fan, recharged and cleaned my AC:
It still blows hot air when idling.
Today got a call from the dealership and they told me I have a "weak compressor", it is not dead but too weak to maintain AC while idling.
The labor and parts are $1500...
I guess I will drive top down from now on

Registered
Lucky you!
My AC only blows cold air while driving on highway.
I power washed my condenser, checked my fan, recharged and cleaned my AC:
It still blows hot air when idling.
Today got a call from the dealership and they told me I have a "weak compressor", it is not dead but too weak to maintain AC while idling.
The labor and parts are $1500...
I guess I will drive top down from now on
I have not heard of a weak compressor before. Usually they work or don't. Mine has the same issue as yours and mine only has 30k miles. I just replaced the caps in my front SAM hoping that was the issue, but no change. Mine will sometimes work, but other times will not. When it works the fan speed kicks up more and blows very cold air. Then the fan will drop back down some and blow just slightly cool air. I will be checking the charge in mine again shortly. I am hoping it is off as I tried that before the caps.

Registered
I have not heard of a weak compressor before. Usually they work or don't. Mine has the same issue as yours and mine only has 30k miles. I just replaced the caps in my front SAM hoping that was the issue, but no change. Mine will sometimes work, but other times will not. When it works the fan speed kicks up more and blows very cold air. Then the fan will drop back down some and blow just slightly cool air. I will be checking the charge in mine again shortly. I am hoping it is off as I tried that before the caps.
These systems are so small (in actual space allocated to it and small cabin so smallish load) that there is very little amount of refrigerant in the system when it is properly charged. It takes a very small amount short for the system to not work well. Cooling only when the vehicle is moving is a typical low charge condition.

Premium Member
Hi Mugs,
That's a very kind offer and one I would certainly be interested in trying it out before I take it to Mercedes! I'm looking after my mum who has a bit (sometimes a lot!) of dementia, so getting away isn't always easy but if you gave me a couple of days warning it shouldn't be a problem. Sorry about the delay in replying but as you can imagine I've got a lot on at the moment!
Ian
Hi Ian,
Sorry for late reply, I forgot to check the thread after I had posted:frown:
I鈥檓 glad your all sorted now but if you need to scanner at any time then just drop me a pm:wink:

Registered
These systems are so small (in actual space allocated to it and small cabin so smallish load) that there is very little amount of refrigerant in the system when it is properly charged. It takes a very small amount short for the system to not work well. Cooling only when the vehicle is moving is a typical low charge condition.
That could be the case for both of us, but they are trying to tell the other gent that his compressor is weak. That is why I am checking mine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts