Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
My SLK 230 ran fine until last fall(2018). Came home and a week later tried to start the car and it turned over but would not run. Weather was already cold with snow on the ground so I disconnected the battery negative terminal and the car sat until this week(June 6,2019). Reconnected battery and the car cranked fine but did not start. To check if the problem was spark or fuel I sprayed the intake with a bit if starting fluid. The car started and ran for a few seconds. Now I know that its fuel. Have read the thread on the K-40 relay, but not sure that it was the problem. I did remove it and opened it up to check the board and it looks ready good. No corrosion and no areas of heat. Is there a way to check the fuel pump without removing the cover on the underside? Any help would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried to listen and I don't hear try to run. Could I try to loosen the fuel line at the injector manifold and turn the key on to check if it would send a short burst of fuel?

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,679 Posts
I've tried to listen and I don't hear try to run. Could I try to loosen the fuel line at the injector manifold and turn the key on to check if it would send a short burst of fuel?
I wouldn't test that way - use a pressure gauge!

Consider testing the pump with +12v directly to decide whether your issue is the pump or the relay in the K40.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have your fuel pressure regulator changed. 99.9% of the time that will fix the issue. It's a 30 second fix if you have the right tool to remove the clip holding the fuel pressure regulator to the fuel rail. If not, use your local trusted shop. The regulator is about $35.00 on Amazon or $36.00 at a local parts place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put 12V directly to the pump and it still didn't start. Swaped polarity and it started right up. ran rough for a while but finally smoothed out and would run up and idle very smoothly. I will now order a new K40 and replace it. Thank you to everyone who helped me diagnose this problem..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts