Mercedes SLK World banner
121 - 140 of 228 Posts
The reset worked ok but i still was not satisfied with shift smoothness, especially downshifting front 3 to 2 and from 2 to 1. Took it to local dealer and they had 1 tech driving and another making adjustment from a laptop. Cost $300 but it was well worth it. Very happy with results....

If you haven't performed this lately, go to your SLK and do it right now. Every SLK meet up should begin with "Please take a moment and reset your transmissions..."

Never tried this before in 7 yrs. Sorta didn't really believe in it. O-M-G. Like a different car! Drives GREAT. So happy ???. 1000's of stop 'n go miles in SoCal, average highway speed 16 mph back/forth to Los Angeles must have trained it never to accelerate. For 7 years I thought my car was not a sporty car at all, just a luxury car that looked the part, that all the sportiness had been reserved for the AMG. Now it IS a sports car. No BS - the difference is amazing.

Verified by a friend (Porsche owner) who just confessed "I didn't want to hurt your feelings but thought your car had no guts. Now it's crazy. You really like to accelerate, don't you?"

@jbanks15 THANK YOU!

btw, would never have tried this if I hadn't acquired the second SLK350 that goes like a little rocket, convinced me something needed to be done about this problem with the first one.

I did this on my SLK 350 yesterday after reading the post.

I cannot believe the difference! Possibly the previous owner drove the 95000 km very sedately. The car has so much more grunt from standing start and seems to rev freer up to redline. I will be doing this every six months or so, this was the cheapest performance upgrade I have ever done.

I did this on my SLK 350 yesterday after reading the post.
I cannot believe the difference! Possibly the previous owner drove the 95000 km very sedately. The car has so much more grunt from standing start and seems to rev freer up to redline.
I will be doing this every six months or so, this was the cheapest performance upgrade I have ever done.
Great! Now do this:

https://www.slkworld.com/off-topic/10172-fuel-additives-engine-tick-tap-ping-knock-whine-sluggishness-hesitation-top-tier-gas.html

I've read through this whole thread and sifted out the BS :grin:

There is confusion here between resetting the adaptive THROTTLE position and the TRANSMISSION changes.

The transmission adapts to your driving style and apparently cannot be manually reset - you're driving style will adapt automatically. What can be reset by the method described in the first post is the THROTTLE position. The throttle pedal is a potentiometer (2 in fact, one is a backup). That potentiometer "reads" how you drive the vehicle and adapts the position from zero throttle (zero%) to full throttle (100%) accordingly.

If you drive like Miss Daisy or always in slow moving city traffic then the throttle adapts to full throttle at 100% on the carpet. If you drive "spiritedly" then the throttle adapts to giving you 100% at around 70% of pedal movement.

What you do when readapting with the ignition key trick is bringing it back to the more aggressive adaptation (zero - 100% in 70% movement)

If you always drive in foot mashing mode then a re-adapt will do very little, if you drive a lot in city traffic and re-adapt then you will feel the difference. The auto trans will then automatically re-adapt itself to suit the new throttle values.

This THROTTLE re-adapt therefore should work with manual trans cars also

End of sermon....................0:)
I picked this out of this very interesting thread - Two things come to mind. The adaptive learning on the auto transmissions does not work, everyone and I do mean everyone, is trying to get back to the default starting point. The mistake MB has made it that it thinks that if you drive your car around like a lamb you want it to adapt to that. I can and do drive my car around on occasion like a lamb and would be very unhappy for the car to adapt to that. Second the throttle response appears to have 1 of 2 settings. 100% at 70% position seems to be preferred and therefore I would say default. The mistake MB has made, in this case, is that the car chooses the position based on your driving style. The correct thing to do, would be to allow you to choose your throttle sensitivity as personal preference. The car does not know best and in addition you would actually know how it was set.

My car is a manual - because the auto never is in the gear I want and is a cause of constant irritation to me. MB - please leave me in control. I know what I want - the car doesn't.

Wonder how I missed this thread. I want to try this today.

Is the throttle pedal the brake or the gas?

After holding it down for 30 seconds, do you have to turn the key back to its original position before taking it out or take it out as it's still in position 2?

Discussion starter · #134 ·
Wonder how I missed this thread. I want to try this today.

Is the throttle pedal the brake or the gas?

After holding it down for 30 seconds, do you have to turn the key back to its original position before taking it out or take it out as it's still in position 2?
throttle? accelerator..... can u take it out in pos 2? try it and see

Discussion starter · #136 ·
it will either let you or not let you. :D not rocket science :D

after you perform the procedure
return key to off position and remove

Depends how you drive.

I only did this twice in 3 years.

If you do a lot of city driving and aren't getting on the freeway most of the time
and you then want to go for a blast, then it may be worth doing.

If you are using manual and stretching you legs (opening it up) regularly, then probably not.

121 - 140 of 228 Posts