Mercedes SLK World banner

101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply.
I can change the S to C to M while driving, thats not the problem.
The issue is when I do change it , lets say from C to S , it feels the same. Normally on the S it should strech the gears and have a more sporty touch.
Also, I just drove it a few min ago and the ac doesnt work, meaning doesnt blow cold air so I am not sure if its a coincidence or if it has somethings to do with the electricity in the car.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #102 (Edited)
as mentioned, try the reset procedure post 1

·
Registered
52 Posts
So I know there's some scepticism about whether this works or not, myself included (previously).

So firstly just some background on my 350, it was recently purchased from a late middle aged lady that didn't even know (S) sport mode existed on the transmission. Her driving style was pedestrian at best. I noticed even in sport mode the throttle was lazy with up to a second before kickdown when throttle depressed, the car seemed confused in many instances that the old lady must have gone crazy or something with this type of driving. Over the past weekend I went on a spirited coastal and mountain 800km road trip. Just before turning off the coast road and with no traffic about to head into the hills I decided it was a perfect time to try the reset and the result was......instant and undeniable! Throttle response now immediate and sharp, transmission kicksdown two gears instantly with moderate throttle depression. Highly recommended!!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I tried the reset yesterday. I've only noticed a very minor change since; perhaps it had been reset already.

Not to go too far off-topic: I think that having the transmission serviced regularly is actually the best way to get its full performance. With 85000 miles on it, this car's tranny had never had the lubricant or filters changed. I had the full transmission service done, and the difference in how it shifts and responds was very noticeable. I suspect the transmission lubricants should be serviced every 40-50K miles.

G

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
185 Posts
Mickey found his groove

R171:
If you want instant throttle response, you can have it for free.

Never has a more true statement been made :surprise:

I saw this procedure posted on The Facebook a few days ago and I thought, hey why not try it !

Well . . . I can tell you, THIS REALLY WORKS :wink:
I took Mickey out for an immediate test drive. Now I should mention, I drive Mickey very conservatively as I want him to last a very long-time.
In Cruise Mode, I mashed down the throttle and he took off like a Race Horse. I then did a quick U-turn, selected Sport Mode and jammed down the pedal again. This time, After travelling a brief distance, I momentarily saw the Yellow Warning Triangle illuminate, indicating Mickey rear tires were trying to break loose :surprise: The Traction Control kept the wheel spin at bay and the acceleration was exhilarating ! I felt pushed back into my seat just like when taking off in an airplane :wink:

This procedure is simple and effective, I'd recommend anyone trying it, even if you drive as conservatively as I :|:surprise::surprise:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have done this a few times on my Slk R171 200k sport and it does make a difference .... need to remember it apparently takes up to 70 presses of throttle movement to work out your throttle driving pattern....best not to reset and then drive behind Ethel and Bert (the Sunday drivers) if you want a sporty throttle response... LOL... ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just done it to my '99 230k after it started to get boring in September. Wow, this is the mad nutter car I remember driving in March! Thank you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My car had had 2 older gentleman owners who drove it very sedately and apparently never took out of W mode. I did the reset 30 minutes ago and took it for a spin. It certainly feels different and if it is a placebo effect then my delusion is sweet.

·
94,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Remember to reset on flat ground
In other words, don't reset at the top of your driveway if it is inclined, because then you will go 'slow' as you go down the driveway before level ground
My logic is it will reset to your driving 'slow' :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just done this on my R172 250, 19k miles on the clock. It has made one hell of a difference! Used to be quite sluggish in eco mode until the pedal was floored, suddenly it seems much more responsive and don’t have to floor it to get a response, so happy!! :)

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
11,936 Posts
Just done this on my R172 250, 19k miles on the clock. It has made one hell of a difference! Used to be quite sluggish in eco mode until the pedal was floored, suddenly it seems much more responsive and don’t have to floor it to get a response, so happy!! :)
Because you don't "floor it" every time, you'll need to do this fairly regularly. Otherwise, it wiĺl revert to "sedate" mode :wink: .

·
Banned
84 Posts
I've read through this whole thread and sifted out the BS :grin:

There is confusion here between resetting the adaptive THROTTLE position and the TRANSMISSION changes.

The transmission adapts to your driving style and apparently cannot be manually reset - you're driving style will adapt automatically. What can be reset by the method described in the first post is the THROTTLE position. The throttle pedal is a potentiometer (2 in fact, one is a backup). That potentiometer "reads" how you drive the vehicle and adapts the position from zero throttle (zero%) to full throttle (100%) accordingly.

If you drive like Miss Daisy or always in slow moving city traffic then the throttle adapts to full throttle at 100% on the carpet. If you drive "spiritedly" then the throttle adapts to giving you 100% at around 70% of pedal movement.

What you do when readapting with the ignition key trick is bringing it back to the more aggressive adaptation (zero - 100% in 70% movement)

If you always drive in foot mashing mode then a re-adapt will do very little, if you drive a lot in city traffic and re-adapt then you will feel the difference. The auto trans will then automatically re-adapt itself to suit the new throttle values.

This THROTTLE re-adapt therefore should work with manual trans cars also

End of sermon....................0:)

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK350
797 Posts
@dandywarhol
Thanks, that’s a very clear explanation of what the reset really does.... also explains why it makes no difference when I do it :smile:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've read through this whole thread and sifted out the BS :grin:

There is confusion here between resetting the adaptive THROTTLE position and the TRANSMISSION changes.

The transmission adapts to your driving style and apparently cannot be manually reset - you're driving style will adapt automatically. What can be reset by the method described in the first post is the THROTTLE position. The throttle pedal is a potentiometer (2 in fact, one is a backup). That potentiometer "reads" how you drive the vehicle and adapts the position from zero throttle (zero%) to full throttle (100%) accordingly.

If you drive like Miss Daisy or always in slow moving city traffic then the throttle adapts to full throttle at 100% on the carpet. If you drive "spiritedly" then the throttle adapts to giving you 100% at around 70% of pedal movement.

What you do when readapting with the ignition key trick is bringing it back to the more aggressive adaptation (zero - 100% in 70% movement)

If you always drive in foot mashing mode then a re-adapt will do very little, if you drive a lot in city traffic and re-adapt then you will feel the difference. The auto trans will then automatically re-adapt itself to suit the new throttle values.

This THROTTLE re-adapt therefore should work with manual trans cars also

End of sermon....................0:)
I did a reset (the 30 seconds then wait 2 mins one) to stop my exhaust from stinking of petrol, what kind of reset was that?

·
94,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
I did a reset (the 30 seconds then wait 2 mins one) to stop my exhaust from stinking of petrol, what kind of reset was that?
resetting the adaptive THROTTLE position
(and probably had no effect on your stink issue) :D

101 - 120 of 154 Posts