93,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A pdf might help

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
So nice

So nice to finally have the correct version for the R172, I've been searching on the web and kept finding the instructions for the R171.

Thanks again

·
Registered
14 Posts
Help with R172 Service Interval Reset

I'm guessing from posts that, although this video is for a C250, the instructions also work for an SLK R172(?)

Because I've had some health issues, my R172 "250" SLK has been resting in my garage for a year. Today, I visited the car - it started first time and told me that a "B Service was overdue". Now, since it's last service was done just a week before my health problems started, I'm inclined to ignore this message for now. I had already downloaded the pdf for resetting the service interval so, with pdf in hand, I started to follow the instructions.

THEY DON'T WORK!

All stops at "press and hold down Accept and end phone call button (S111s3) and then within 1 s also press and hold down OK button (S110s6)"

I'm guessing that the "transmitter key"(from Step 2) is the ignition key(?)
I have the standard display set to kilometers, as advised;
I was puzzled by "press and hold down Accept and end phone call button (S111s3) so I tried it with the "Accept" only (Pick Up) and OK button and with "Accept", "End" (Hang Up button) and OK button.
Pressing these two or three buttons well within the time limits does NOT deliver ..."The Workshop menu with the tabs "Vehicle data","Dynamometer test", "Change brake lining" and "ASSYST PLUS" appears in the multifunction display (A1p13). The display simply goes back to 0kph.

My car is right hand drive, R172, 1.8 litre, engine type M271.954 (I think) and the wheel and buttons match the photo in the pdf. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
On the R172 SLK you have to hold down both phone buttons on the right side of the steering wheel and the OK button on the left side of the steering wheel at the same time.
The attached PDF is correct but the videos are wrong for SLKs.
The pdf calls the right side steering wheel buttons 'Accept' and 'End' phone calls buttons.

I just did the above this morning to enter the service menu on my r172 to set the 'fitting position for rear brake pads'.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Many thanks, WhiteRabbit. Holding BOTH phone buttons down worked! Perhaps the pdf's instruction should read "....press and hold down ACCEPT and END phone call buttonS (S111s3) + (S111sX)....

However, it took nine attempts to actually get into the menu so I must have a faulty / erratic button, probably one of the phone buttons. I also changed the display from kms to miles but I can't say how relevant that was to accessing the menu.

Now, anybody know how to change the alert from "annual" to "miles done"?

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only if you add your model year 2012-2016 to your profile

Vehicle: R172 SLK 250 Blue Efficiency

see? no year :D

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
getting to drive the car this summer and will need an oil change before my next trip. I have to get some repair work done in Oct and will get a service done then, but do the change myself.

·
93,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been trying to reset my service indicator for the last 78 days, and I still can't find the correct version😡

you try the pdf attached in post 1?

·
93,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Never take instructions literally... if I have a slight delay in pressing the phone and ok button, the proper screen pops up. If done simultaneously I get a different screen.

Got it now JB...🤗

·
93,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was going to say
there should be a slight delay/pause in pushing buttons but I've learned never tell a woman anything :D

·
Registered
32 Posts

Changed oil and reset service indicator on my 2012 SLK 350 R172 today. The video attached in this thread worked perfectly, step by step. Thanks for posting!

I purchased the oil filter from my Mercedes dealership, it cost $30.72 which included a copper crush washer for the oil drain plug. I'll use the Mann filter equivalent next time.

Put the car up on Rhino Ramps, removed the rearmost plastic shield. NO need to remove the front shield, which shares two screws with the rear one.

Removed the sump drain bolt, drained the oil, replaced the bolt with a fresh crush washer, then changed the filter (easy) and filled it up with Mobil 1 0W-40 229.5.

It's hard to read the dipstick on this car, but it appeared to hold exactly 6.9 qts.

Easy, all good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts