Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
*Registered
2012 SLK350
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I absolutely love the SLK. Taking the model leap from a R170 to the R172 was a quantum improvement.
What is the group's suggestion for a serious performance upgrade for my 2012 SLK350. Coming from a BMW 135, DINAN spoiled us with a stage II tune that increased the HP from 300 to 384 and the torque from 300 to 420. Oh my, the new life was amazing. Almost like going from my "perky" SLK350 to the "Beast" SLK55. Without moving into the "55" realm, at this time; how would you suggest I cure my "Need for more Power"?? I am trying evaluate the bang for the buck investment, before I have to make that ultimate comparison and test drive a real "55".

·
*Administrator (Premium Member)
40,843 Posts
Before opening the wallet, try this:

The usual headers and exhaust options abound.

@i860 has done some coding for automatic boxes on the 171 (7G), not sure if doable for the 172 (9G).

Chips.

There's an accelerator gizmo that some enjoy, others dislike.

Have a look in

Let's see what 172 owners suggest.

·
Administrator (Canada)
22,250 Posts
As Myk says, that reset is a very noticeable change (albeit, temporary). The 350 is not that much slower than a '55.

Try the reset every gas fill up. You WILL notice a difference in responsiveness.

·
*Registered
2012 SLK350
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before opening the wallet, try this:

The usual headers and exhaust options abound.

@i860 has done some coding for automatic boxes on the 171 (7G), not sure if doable for the 172 (9G).

Chips.

There's an accelerator gizmo that some enjoy, others dislike.

Have a look in

Let's see what 172 owners suggest.
That was an Awesome increase. Making that adjustment monthly would be a great improvement. Thanks guys.

·
*Registered
2015 SLK55 AMG
1,195 Posts
I absolutely love the SLK. Taking the model leap from a R170 to the R172 was a quantum improvement.
What is the group's suggestion for a serious performance upgrade for my 2012 SLK350. Coming from a BMW 135, DINAN spoiled us with a stage II tune that increased the HP from 300 to 384 and the torque from 300 to 420. Oh my, the new life was amazing. Almost like going from my "perky" SLK350 to the "Beast" SLK55. Without moving into the "55" realm, at this time; how would you suggest I cure my "Need for more Power"?? I am trying evaluate the bang for the buck investment, before I have to make that ultimate comparison and test drive a real "55".
Not much to gain. Maybe 20 hp 20 tq to the wheels with a tune. Which you probably won't even feel. The 135 had a turbo, no where near the gains for this NA engine. No chance for "55" power.

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
146 Posts
Essentially you have to balance the cost of any upgrades (including labour charges if you cannot do it yourself) against the higher cost of buying a 55 bearing in mind that you will get xxxx amount for your 350.
Also do you really need the power? What driving are you doing? Is the main aim of the car top down motoring?

·
*Registered
2009 SLK350
432 Posts
Header update for mine, two British suppliers do not have stock, delay is months. Nothing in the US that I could find, annoyingly they are advertised but are no longer available so I'm told. There is nothing else for my engine except cams that I know of. Please correct me with links. 🙁😏🙂😀😁

·
**Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
129 Posts
I had my mine mapped to 323bhp, up from a base of 290 or so. It’s makes the car fast for sure. I went from 0-60 times of 5.6 secs down to 5.3, so it’s a marginal improvement that you’ll get used to very quickly, and you’ll still be hampered by the gearbox, while the 55 will be into the 4’s stock, even an R171 version of it.

If you’re hell bent on modding it, I’d recommend an LSD and suspension mods and maybe a throttle map (the Piecha one gets good reviews) But you've got to appreciate that the 350 follows a different design philosophy to the AMG versions and no amount of modding can bridge the gap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts