Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The seals between the rear side glass and the door glass were allowing wind noise into my car. If I softened then up with silicone they were OK for a day or two, then the wind noise returned. They were not loose enough to allow water in. The alignment of the glass was spot on correct so I decided the best fix was to replace the seal strips on both sides. They are available from Mercedes for around £28 each (UK).

I couldn’t find anything on this or other forums describing how to replace them. Its surprisingly easy, so here it is…

Tools needed:

1. Sharp blade (razor blade of similar)

2. Silicon spray or silicon oil

Method (took be about 5 minutes per side):

1. Press the “roof down” switch just long enough to lower the side quarter windows around 50%

2. The seal fits into grooves in a metal guide that is bonded to the glass. Grip the seal (not the metal guide) and pull upwards. The old seal will slide out.

3. Ensure the small gap between the metal guide and the glass near the top of the glass if free from remnants of the old seal.

4. Look at the difference between the old and new seals!

5. Apply a little silicone oil or silicone grease to the back of the new seal.

6. Feed the seal into the groove in the metal guide. Carefully press / pull it downwards.

7. At the top of the seal is a rubber tab. Grip this with fingers and gently pull the last 8 mm of the seal into place between the metal guide and the glass.

8. Once the seal is fully seated carefully cut the rubber tab with a sharp blade.

9. Enjoy the absence of wind noise :smile:

Attachments

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,882 Posts
Great work!

I've been wondering about replacing all the roof seals in the future.
These will be on that list.

Couple of attachments.
One for seal between rear and door windows.
On for sealing rail that runs along the top of the door/bottom of glass.

Attachments

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200
648 Posts
Nice one Sean :wink:

Our drivers door lets in a little spray of water when hit by the pressure washer at our Romanian car cleaners, but no wind noise when driving :surprise:

I think this could solve that - thanks :grin:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Great tutorial on how to change the rubbers so easily, thanks Sean.
I've replaced mine today. They cost £65.00 for the pair including VAT.
I've included some pics which show the part numbers and the difference between the old and new.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.