Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to drive to the east coast and the rear tires must be replaced. I would like a year-around tire as we do get some snow and rain. The dealer is recommending Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3 PLUS XL BSW. They get good reviews for handling and ability to drive in rain. I read mixed reviews about noise and ride comfort. Does anyone have experience with this tire? While I am an aggressive driver, I am not looking to drive on a track. Cruising with the top down (with fast starts) is my favorite sport.

Yes, I did use the search feature and read a lot about Pilot Super Sports but very little about Pilot Sports.

Thanks! Jeff

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,122 Posts

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK AMG
3,288 Posts
I ran PS3s on my Impreza and they seemed to give great grip in the dry, wet and even snow. The ride quality was good and they were quiet enough.
I changed them after 23 months and they were driven hard throughout the 2 summers with the occasional hill climb sprint thrown in for good measure so not a bad tyre at all.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Have not had the 3rd version but compared to the 2nd the conti extreme contact dws behave and wear better.
I second this post. In fact, I just ordered a replacement Conti DWS06 rear tires which are going to be put on this weekend. My current set is the same tires, and they have worn well after >22K miles. The tires are excellent in dry and especially wet roads. They are decent in light snow and give you above average A/S sporty rides through all weather conditions. I strongly recommend them.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the recommendations. I decided to go with the Michelin PS A/S 3 and had them fitted (which is a story within itself). My lady and I are currently in Annapolis MD visiting our Grandchildren (I think my son and daughter-in-law are somewhere around :wink: I will post a trip report once we return home.

Tires are excellent. Drove through some light snow and wet roads with no issues. Car was firm on the road. Haven't experienced heavy rain, so that will be the next test. We didn't find the road noise any louder or less comfortable than the P-Zeros that were on the car.

Again thank you for the feedback.

v/r Jeff

·
Registered
24 Posts
Let us know your experience with the Pilot a/s. I had the previous generation DWS on our old 2005 SLK and liked them; I have them on my BMW X5 daily driver and like them except in the summer, when they are a bit soft on hot GA asphalt. With our soon to be 2009 SLK, the DWS or the Pilots are my two options, when I ultimately step it down to 17" wheels from the mounted Rial 18s to improve the ride comfort [if I do .... see my post under Tires].

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My apologies for not responding earlier.

Since my last post, I picked-up a nail in the front right tire. The front left had been replaced by the previous owner, so the front tires were mis-matched in terms of wear. The front right was in the red tread-wise, so I decided to replace the fronts as well with PS A/S 3s.

I have driven with them in snow and heavy rain and they have considerably improved the handling. The car feels solid and I haven't had an issue with hydroplaning (the rains have been heavy enough for that to be an issue). A slight increase in road noise and a firmer ride, so I do feel the road a bit more. In all, I am happy with them as Beast is an every day driving machine. Beast originally had P-Zeros and I wouldn't wish to have driven in that weather over the last month with those on the car.

I will see how well they wear over the next year or so.

·
94,122 Posts
My apologies for not responding earlier.

Since my last post, I picked-up a nail in the front right tire. The front left had been replaced by the previous owner, so the front tires were mis-matched in terms of wear. The front right was in the red tread-wise, so I decided to replace the fronts as well with PS A/S 3s.

I have driven with them in snow and heavy rain and they have considerably improved the handling. The car feels solid and I haven't had an issue with hydroplaning (the rains have been heavy enough for that to be an issue). A slight increase in road noise and a firmer ride, so I do feel the road a bit more. In all, I am happy with them as Beast is an every day driving machine. Beast originally had P-Zeros and I wouldn't wish to have driven in that weather over the last month with those on the car.

I will see how well they wear over the next year or so.
You do know I have c opyrighted 'The Beast'?

https://www.slkworld.com/driving-stories/462953-he-called-my-car-beast-how-did-he-know-her-name.html

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I didn't.

La Bête is French for 'The Beast' (as in 'La Belle et La Bête').:wink:

·
94,122 Posts
No I didn't.

La Bête is French for 'The Beast' (as in 'La Belle et La Bête').:wink:
Now you know :D

Watch out for my avocat :D

·
6007.us
2,619 Posts
I used to think that Michelins were the berries until my new DD which came with Pilot MXM4s that were just plain terrible. Less than 20% worn and in the wet I had the traction control light coming on often. Now on BFG Comp-2s that I like a lot better for normal driving and a Whole Lot better in the wet (it tends to rain here a bit. In three months we get more than London does all year). So now I tend to buy either BFGs or Contis (DWS06 now).

ps have come to the conclusion that for a road tire I do not want any lower profile than a 60. Went from 235x50R18 to 235x60R17s and the ride is noticeably better. This points out the major difference between my SLK320 and a Crossfire - went to 16s to get a comfortable ride in the SLK while the Crossie has its suspension designed for 18s/19s & the same diameter. Put them on the SLK and the ride is terrible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts