Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I'm thinking of getting a 2008 SLK but I don't like the exhausts on them, is it possible to replace the square exhausts with a couple of twin pipes? All I'd really want to replace is the end so that it looks more like the 55?

If it is possible what parts would I need and could I do it myself? Is the gap in the bumper big enough to fit twin pipes?

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Is that a facelift model? They have square tips, while the earlier models had oval tips. I guess you could do a straight swap but the rear bumper valance would need to be adjusted to look right so you don't have a round pipe popping out of a square hole.

If you want the 4 pipe AMG look then see this thread... http://www.slkworld.com/amgs/25760-thank-you-5.html

There are some links in that thread to another couple of other threads. I think you have two choices for the four pipe look:

- Weld on a four 55 exhaust tips to the 350 rear boxes. Two of those tips will be fake, and you'll need to cut the rear bumper valance.

- Convert to a 55 exhaust system for a bit more noise.

It is possible to get a Y shaped tip that clamps onto the single 350 outlet. I think Russ commented that the rear boxes are too close to the rear valance, so the Y would be visible and the whole thing would look silly sticking out too far.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
3,917 Posts
I recently purchased an SLK 280 that a previous owner had totally removed the mufflers which made the car sound like an angry bumblebee. My Internet searches found several places that sold the quad tips however that would not fix my noise problem. Stock 55 tips can be found but like Richard indicated there is not enough room in the cutout to accomodate and some cutting of the lower valance would probably have to made.

I found Remus Exhuast offered a resonably affordable solution for my noise issues and desire for quad tips. Granted they aren't 55 tips but I'm happy with the result and they fit the lower valance nicely.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
3,917 Posts
GeeJay, I didn't realize they had changed the exhaust for the 350s in '08 (I'm still learning). Awesome looking quad tips concept and for just a few thousand dollars might be able to make it a reality.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
AZ - there are four ways to spot the facelift changes for the 171:

- Arrow shaped indicators on the wing mirrors (rectangular on old model)
- Hairlip splitter below the front bumper (the splitter is continuous on the old model)
- Rectangular exhaust tips instead of oval.
- Shorter antenna in place of the whip style on the original

You can see the first two on on GeeJay's signature pic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.