Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
it's been some time sice I last posted.
Where can I purchase replacement speakers.
I need to replace the speakers located in the rop center console and the speakers located by the seatbelt.
They start to crackle at high volume. I think they are blown.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,588 Posts
Slkstore is back open n I saw a center speaker there

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,588 Posts
if your current speakers are old/defective then yes. what audio system is in your car? audio 20 or 50 or hk? get your datacard to find out.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Vinny,
The large door speakers in the SLK are a combination setup of a mid and a tweeter with an integral crossover. (See pic) The only replacement "in kind" I have seen done was using Hertz Space 8's because they are so shallow. Here's a link to a previous install.

http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r171/2118-audio20-system-speakers-upgrade-complete-w-pix.html

With you being in Europe you have a shot at getting the Hertz speakers, but they are pricey. Interestingly enough there are several comments in the aftermarket head threads that refer to "better sound" after replacing the A20.

Best Wishes

Attachments

·
DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,015 Posts
An aftermarket headunit does make the stock speakers sound better, and you benefit from a fader control too, but not in the conventional sense.

The front channels drive the mids and tweeters (plus the centre) that are in the doors, and the rear channel drives the door bass drivers AND the rear speakers near the seatbelts.

The rears are more of a 'presence' speaker and are not full range.

I'd try Ebay for used - they do appear now and then, or a main dealer - you'd be surprised with the main dealer costs - not as expensive as you may think.

I upgraded to Harmon Kardon all round and may still have the old rears and centre speaker, but shipping to SF may prove more costly than buying them ..

Cheers
Sean

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I'm sure that this will be deemed a silly question, but I'll ask it anyway: If the car was built with Audio20, is there even a wiring harness present at the location of the HK rear speakers flanking the console extension where the first aid kit resides? Or would a wiring harness have to be retrofitted there? I've upgraded to an Alpine head unit and the stock door speakers do indeed sound worlds better, but this has me pondering the addition of the little rear speakers. I'm sure the head unit would drive them.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Beekster,
If I get your question, you are asking if the H-K wiring harness was installed into your car even though the H-K system wasn't because of your A20 HU.

The uninformed answer is I doubt it, but if you want you can register (free) for the EPC tool, put in your VIN#, and it will tell you what wiring harness(s) are present in your car.

There's a thread on here that shows you how to register.

Best Wishes,

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
An aftermarket headunit does make the stock speakers sound better, and you benefit from a fader control too, but not in the conventional sense.

The front channels drive the mids and tweeters (plus the centre) that are in the doors, and the rear channel drives the door bass drivers AND the rear speakers near the seatbelts.

I'd try Ebay for used - they do appear now and then, or a main dealer - you'd be surprised with the main dealer costs - not as expensive as you may think.

I upgraded to Harmon Kardon all round and may still have the old rears and centre speaker, but shipping to SF may prove more costly than buying them ..

Cheers
Sean
Cool,

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Vinny,
The large door speakers in the SLK are a combination setup of a mid and a tweeter with an integral crossover. (See pic) The only replacement "in kind" I have seen done was using Hertz Space 8's because they are so shallow. Here's a link to a previous install.

http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r171/2118-audio20-system-speakers-upgrade-complete-w-pix.html

With you being in Europe you have a shot at getting the Hertz speakers, but they are pricey. Interestingly enough there are several comments in the aftermarket head threads that refer to "better sound" after replacing the A20.

Best Wishes
Thanks, I'll try to get a good deal on a new HU ! :tu:

·
DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,015 Posts
It won't be installed - the A20 headunits didn't have the 'extra' two speakers.

If it was, it would end up in the front electronics bay where the HK amp would live ...

It's a pretty straight forward job to add the speakers and a harness - I have them hooked into the same circuit as the 'outer' rears, and after some careful fiddling I managed to get an impedance that worked.

The tricky bit is drilling out the covers ... (unless you buy a HK cover for the centre armrest)

Cheers
Sean

·
Registered
363 Posts
In ebay you could find many harman kardon speakers and harman packages!!
Also they are available in the forum in lower prices!
Please ask!!

·
Premium Member
352 Posts

Cheers
Sean
:tu:

I have buyed a new S100 HU. I'm waiting for it near this end of the month.
Do you thing I will get great gains if I replace the OEM speakers to?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts