Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have just bought a 2005 SLK 350 which came with only one key. So I contacted my local MB dealer in Leicester and they quoted me £227 for a new one, fully programmed. They also said that used keys from another SLK cannot be re-programmed so I needn't bother buying one off ebay!

Firstly, does £227 sound about right or should I be able to get it cheaper? Secondly, I thought I had read that used keys can be re-programmed, so are they telling me porky pies just to get me to spend more money with them?

Any comments/help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
420 Posts
There are quite a few posts regarding this. In the meantime:

Yes, the dealership is correct. Keys cannot be EASILY reprogrammed. There are ways, but it requires specialized Chinese hardware that I saw once. Freaky stuff. They are programmed to your car's VIN.

I don't know what the correct cost should be over there, but here across the pond in the states, you can et a key for around $200. Not so sure of what that converts out to.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,245 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

If you haven’t, please post an introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Sergeant-at Arms

·
Registered
766 Posts
There are quite a few posts regarding this. In the meantime:

Yes, the dealership is correct. Keys cannot be EASILY reprogrammed. There are ways, but it requires specialized Chinese hardware that I saw once. Freaky stuff. They are programmed to your car's VIN.

I don't know what the correct cost should be over there, but here across the pond in the states, you can et a key for around $200. Not so sure of what that converts out to.

£121.71!!

Can you order one in the US and get it sent over here. that'd bring the cost down if it is $200.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Hi All

I have just bought a 2005 SLK 350 which came with only one key. So I contacted my local MB dealer in Leicester and they quoted me £227 for a new one, fully programmed. They also said that used keys from another SLK cannot be re-programmed so I needn't bother buying one off ebay!

Firstly, does £227 sound about right or should I be able to get it cheaper? Secondly, I thought I had read that used keys can be re-programmed, so are they telling me porky pies just to get me to spend more money with them?

Any comments/help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Hello fellow Leicester owner. I think that price sounds about right. There are a lot of adverts on Ebay for spares and programming> But I am not sure if they work.

I have had a spare metal key cut which I keep hidden outside the car incase I happen to lock my keys in the car ( having done it once with an MX5)

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Price is about right, and it's a theft controlled part. In theory, anyone with Online STAR access and a virgin key can program it. In reality, most dealers won't touch it - they just order a pre-programed key for you. Price sounds about right for the "right" side of the pond, unfortunately. I think I paid about 190 quid for mine a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello fellow Leicester owner. I think that price sounds about right. There are a lot of adverts on Ebay for spares and programming> But I am not sure if they work.

I have had a spare metal key cut which I keep hidden outside the car incase I happen to lock my keys in the car ( having done it once with an MX5)
Hi there JonB and thanks for the info - had a feeling you were going to say that!

I am waiting for a company in Birmingham who claim to be able to supply a brand new fully programmed key for a fraction of the MB price (but that could be 95% of it :) ). I'll let everyone know how much they quote.

And I thought the Boxster S I have just got rid of was expensive to own! lol

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Cars come with 2 keys......if you have completed the purchase, I would convince the seller to at least split the cost with you.

When I purchased Challenge, the dealer tried to convince me that one key was the best they could do....I told them that was a deal breaker......they had a spare key in 2 days.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
And I thought the Boxster S I have just got rid of was expensive to own! lol
If you have the 7sp AT, just wait 'til that needs repair; $$$$ :(

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Hmmmmm, I'm very tempted with extending the 6 month RAC warranty the garage gave me to a lifetime one! lol
"Sounds" like a wise decision :) Just make sure it covers the power train!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.