Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys n gals,

I've not been on for a while, the montreal snow turned me off the car completely over winter. Well I just moved down to carolina.. just last weekend.. the sun is nice and having the top down feels good.

Anyhow I just noticed today my star is cracked across the front and a bit of one of the legs is missing. :(

Has anyone replaced it already? have an idea on price...

And I only just called about a new $250 key.. well they come in 3's

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Hey easty, if you are driving a R171 (and update your damned profile!! :)), the part number is A1718880086, and its like a $20us part. (This is the chrome MB star)

Post a picture of what's broke, I'll try and get part numbers for you if that's not it...

Attachments

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Hey guys n gals,

I've not been on for a while, the montreal snow turned me off the car completely over winter. Well I just moved down to carolina.. just last weekend.. the sun is nice and having the top down feels good.

Anyhow I just noticed today my star is cracked across the front and a bit of one of the legs is missing. :(

Has anyone replaced it already? have an idea on price...

And I only just called about a new $250 key.. well they come in 3's
Welcome back Easty!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,433 Posts
Yes! Welcome back Easty!!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Welcome back!! Just as well you moved since there is no Canadian GP this year.:(

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
The world traveler returns! Good to hear from you again!

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the welcome back guys. Hopefully have more interest now I'm not driving around on beruit roads full of snow. :)

Yep thats the right part. I just called with that number and it's $38.. Thanks for the offer woolly, For that price i'll just grab it locally as postage may get to that :)

And yep I just couldn't handle montreal with no F1 Grand Prix.. Whats that all about?

no don't ask I kinda already have an idea..

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK.. Anyone took this thing off? it looks a little tolarance fit job judging by the new piece. But I cannot get the old one off.. As it's all plastic I don't want to force anything too much!

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,048 Posts
push the tabs from the back...it's a bit tricky without removing the complete grill, you need to get it at just the right angle.

·
Registered
578 Posts
how hard to replace the grill? i'm thinking of doing by myself... i have minor damage on grill assembly. and i will need to replace it so...

thank you guys and have great day.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,048 Posts
grill itself is not that hard, but requires some balls as you need to stretch out the entire front lip around the bumper after unbolting the 6 screws around the radiotor bracket. Much safer to remove the whole bumper, but it's not necessary. Actually removing the whole bumper is not that bad, bunch of little clips here and there, but primarily held on by 4 bolts in each fender well, 6 bolts around the grille frame, and two bolts by the center lower intake. there are a couple other small bolts, but they will be obvious as you start taking things apart. make sure to unplug all the cables and things before you start yanking. Realigning the bumper is a bit of a pain though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.