1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered 2016 SLK55 AMG w/P30
651 Posts
Welp that officially ends the whopping 3 years of SLCs (tho really its just an SLK with a different name so really much longer). Not sure this new car will excite me, especially if its just a turbo'd 4pot. It better be a looker. And color me NOT interested in a soft top convertible of any ilk. Detest soft tops.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,058 Posts
^^^You already bought a SLC so you are good to go. Like you, I detest soft tops with a passion. Since I plan to keep mine till it goes to car heaven, I am not concerned with whatever succeeds the model I have now. If/when this current 2013 dies, I am sure there will be an AMG sedan or coupe that will be a good replacement, or maybe (gasp) something outside an MB.

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,464 Posts
Quote from the article:
"Mercedes has not quoted 2017 sales figures for the SLC, although German dealers suggest that deliveries have all but dried up and that a decision has already been made not to replace today’s seven-year-old R172 model."

Would be interesting to see how bad the UK Sales Figure are, though with so many other Soft-Top MB models to choose from now, the SLK/SLC sales figures where always going to take a hit.....

·
Banned
974 Posts
If the budget will stretch how about the current model Porsche Targa?
Personally I see no point in having a fancy powerful sports car if you cannot remove the roof & enjoy the difference that is fresh air & the sense of specialness, otherwise you might just as well be in any claustrophobic boring saloon.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320
1,032 Posts
If SLK55 and SLC43 sales are only about 5% of SLK Sales,
Then a new small AMG coupe and roadster selling for SLK55 prices will sell .......like a SLK55,, in very small numbers.
Exclusive,yes, but where is the business case, where is the profit?

·
Registered 2016 SLK55 AMG w/P30
651 Posts
If SLK55 and SLC43 sales are only about 5% of SLK Sales,
Then a new small AMG coupe and roadster selling for SLK55 prices will sell .......like a SLK55,, in very small numbers.
Exclusive,yes, but where is the business case, where is the profit?
Exactly! I see no point in shoveling all the R&D into a boxter/cayman rival, when all they needed to do was give the SLK a PROPER refresh and bring the interior more in line witj modern MB cars (minus the digital instrument cluster if at all possible).

A trimmed-down SLK 53 AMG with an updated interior (goodbye old fashioned 9 button phone dial on console!), leather wrapped dash, and proper styling couldve easily sold just as well or better than whatever this new turbo 4 cylinder windup toy is going to do numbers wise. Their decision here makes no sense at all to me.

·
1,032 Posts
Great figures!
6500 in 2018 already? And more than all 2017 if I read this correctly.
Looks much better than I thought since USA and German sales are usually much more than UK.

6-7% SLK43 so close to my estimate above.
8% SLK.
Also 400, 6-7 % not Automatics!

So the top end, higher power versions, are roughly 10-15%- that might go for a new compact AMG,,,,,,if it had a metal roof.

Into a niche crowded with new Boxster/Cayman, new Alpine 110, new TVR, F-type Jaguar,

·
1,032 Posts
Of course the way to make the next small AMG sports convertible beat the pack is to make it full electric with 500+ km range.
That would be an instant classic and future collectable.

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,464 Posts
Great figures!
6500 in 2018 already? And more than all 2017 if I read this correctly.
Looks much better than I thought since USA and German sales are usually much more than UK.

6-7% SLK43 so close to my estimate above.
8% SLK.
Also 400, 6-7 % not Automatics!

So the top end, higher power versions, are roughly 10-15%- that might go for a new compact AMG,,,,,,if it had a metal roof.

Into a niche crowded with new Boxster/Cayman, new Alpine 110, new TVR, F-type Jaguar,
Sorry no, the website is more designed to show "How many cars are left" - So in the case of My elderly 406 Coupe (winter car!): ~11,000 where imported into the UK, but only around ~1,100 remain (with the other 10,000 being scrapped..!!)
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=406+Coupe

Therefore the numbers on the about table are cumulative year on year:

So doing some reverse engineering on the above figures:

The cars registered for each year in the UK:

SLC43:
2016 = 137
2017 = 211
2018 = 45 (These figure are for Q1 only - So be interesting to see Q2 & Q3 figures, when released)

All models of SLC's Registered:
2016 = 2305
2017 > 5773 - 2305 = 3468
2018 > 6408 - 5773 = 635 (These figure are for Q1 only)

Your can also drill down for more detail on each model:
https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/mercedes_amg_slc_43_auto

1 - 12 of 12 Posts