Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like my 9 year old battery is getting weak. Mercedes OEM battery was silver calcium design for long life. Does any one know if the newer Mercedes have silver calcium batteries and where I could find a silver calcium replacement.

I would rather not get a battery from the dealer. They are a little pricey.

Nine years is the longest a car battery has ever lasted in any of my cars. MB got it right.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
If Mercedes got it right, why not replace it with the same thing? Roadside assistance replaced one in my now departed 560SL this spring for $136. It was a silver calcium battery. I'd guess the SLK battery would be a few bucks less.

Len

Reactions: ClemsonB

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,254 Posts
9 years!!! when i had my 02 320 slk here in florida, the battery lasts only 2 years. even on my 05 slk 350, i had to replace the battery every 2 years.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Does anyone know of a store that has a battery which fits our cars? I ask because I'm quite far from a dealer. I don't think they'd even send one of their vans.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,254 Posts
every time my battery failed under warranty, they sent the service guy out and he replaced it free.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems as if not everyone's experience with the OEM battery is as good as mine. The replacement battery for a 320SLK is $150 from Mercedes.

Optima doesn't seem to make a battery that will fit the SLK.

Someone ask about where you can get an SLK battery (BCI Group Size 48) besides MB. There are several places including Sam's club and an Interstate battery dealer. Sears apparently doesn't carry any batteries for a Mercedes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you have a Batteries Plus store nearby they have one that fits also. I called them checking on one a last weekend. They had it for $89.00 on sale for $79.00

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Optima doesn't list a battery for a lot of Mercedes, but that doesn't keep owners from using them successfully. Check the dimensions and get the closest one and you'll be fine. The battery for my 210 chassis is under the rear seat and I went to an Optima when I replaced it. Optima didn't have a recommendation for that car either, but it's been in there and doing fine for about five years.

If it was me, I'd probably go with the Mercedes battery because it's in the engine compartment.

Len

Reactions: ClemsonB
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.