Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the struts on my 320, took 5 minutes, I always wonder why I slammed the trunk lid. I purchased them at prime source @$13.53 each.
:biglaugh:

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Welcome from NE England - it seems unreal that you can get something mechanical for an MB for less than 14 bucks!!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,464 Posts
blue320,

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating for hosting and licensing fees to the site. Even $5 is welcome! Thanks!

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
Welcome blue,

Keep an eye out for other 320 members. There are a few other guys with 320s looking for advice on upgrades.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got new trunk struts , but, no instructions

can you tell me how you replaced them or give me a link to a place to get instructions?

Thanks.

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
IIRC, There are small metal clips at each end of the strut near the ball joint. On the clip is a small slot, and you can pry the clips off with a screw-driver. Then the struts just pop off the ball joint. Pop the new one on, replace the clip, and you're done. Takes minutes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Trunk struts

Twice the trunk came down on my head. The worst was when it came down right on my spine. Ugh. But, now the roof won't raise. It's as if the motor is trying, but can't get it up. You gotta hate that! Could that also be because the struts need replaced, or is it the motor?

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
I don't think the struts apply any force against the motor when raising the top - pivot point is completely different. I think most of us with older cars have been wacked a few times.

Don't drop the clips inside the linkage (through the "brushes") - bloody hard to find!

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's the same principle for doing the bonnet ( Hood) just use a brrom stick to hold it in place as it's much heavier and gives you a big bump on the bonce if it catches you. Only found out my strut had gone when I thought hey this is bloomin heavy!

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Teenager works quite well as a prop if you don't have a length of broom handle..and they generally don't scratch the paint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.