Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've searched these forums, and all over the internet, and cannot find this. I have a 2013 SLK 350. It has the Intelligent light package - adaptive lights, etc. I know it has front cornering lights - they light up the side of the car when turning and using turn signal. However - I have a warning every time I start the car - Right Front Cornering Light. I know this means this bulb is out, and they don't work because this bulb is dead. I refuse to spend hundreds of dollars for the dealer to replace this bulb.

I know exactly where this bulb is located but how the heck do I change this bulb? I am able to remove the recess cover to get access to this bulb but either my hands are too big to get inside the headlight assembly via recess cover or I have no idea how or replace the this halogen light bulb.

I absolutely hate halogen bulbs and I am hoping to replace it with LED equivalent because LED bulbs normally last much longer than halogen bulbs. Do I have to remove the whole darn headlight assembly just to get to this stupid corning light bulb?

If you have a link about replacing this stupid corning light bulbs, please provide the link. My car only has 32K miles and I rarely drive my 2013 SLK 350 at night so I am surprised this right cornering bulb is already dead.

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi There, I had the same problem with mine a year or so ago. Had to access via the wheel arch from memory it was an absolute pain to do on the ground.. sorry to not be more helpful

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reviving my old thread.

I finally decided to replace the right front cornering light bulb myself and it wasn't as bad as I expected. Here is my procedure:

1) Jack up the front of the car and place jack stands underneath.
2) Remove the front tire where the front cornering bulb is going to be replaced.
3) Remove inside fender well cover. There were lots of nuts, bolts and plastic thingy holding the cover.
4) Unscrew the round plastic cap at rear of headlight assembly to get access of light bulbs. There are two round plastic caps, one is for headlight and other is for corner light. It's easier to unscrew the cap from above.
5) While under the car, reach for the socket holding the cornering light bulb and lift it up and wiggle until the socket is finally removed.
6) Replace cornering light bulb. The bulb is halogen H7 55W. Very common light bulb.
7) Installation is reverse order.

The very strange part is when I turned the ignition key, the darn warning "Right Front Cornering Light" was still there!!!!! Grrrrrr!!!!!! I replace the bulb again with another one (I bought a pair of new halogen bulbs) and the warning message was still there. So while the car was in the garage, my car thinks it's dark so it automatically turned on the headlights, I started the engine and turn the steering wheel to the left and the left cornering light came on. Then I waited for that light to turn off, I turned the steering wheel to the right and viola the right front cornering light came on and no more warning message!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!

That sounds like a bad software design making me think both brand new bulbs were bad and it required me to drive the car at night and steer the car back and forth to reset the warning message.

If I had to do it again, it will take me 15 to 30 minutes to replace the cornering bulbs. Since I know exactly how to remove/install the bulb socket, I believe I can replace the bulb from above instead of jacking up the car.

Peter

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Talking of “bad software design”, about 2 months ago mine had a similar warning about the left cornering light being out. Well I didn’t replace anything yet but the warning disappeared and the light works now. Hmmmm...... I guess no harm no foul, as the saying goes...

·
Super Moderator
24,097 Posts
Talking of “bad software design”, about 2 months ago mine had a similar warning about the left cornering light being out. Well I didn’t replace anything yet but the warning disappeared and the light works now. Hmmmm...... I guess no harm no foul, as the saying goes...
Interesting.

171 owners had a similar issue with the sidelights in the headlamp.
They'd show fail, ignore them and sooner or later they come good.

No definitive cause found but common suggestions:
Moisture getting to SAM.
Short in wire (probably just a crack in casing, possibly due to tap).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the procedure to reset Service Modes (A, B, C, etc.) but is it possible to set the instrument cluster display to diagnostic mode? I am wondering whether I could perform diagnostic tests like testing corner lights if possible or available.

If it's possible to set the instrument cluster display to diagnostic mode, please give us the procedure.

Thank you,
Peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts