Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've replaced my halogen dipped headlight bulbs by LEDs from - yes indeed - AliExpress. Don't know how long they will last, but they are bright and error free (because they are also 55W)
- They are brighter than halogen
- They fit inside the headlight unit
- But you need to trim/cut the H7 holder (see picture) to make this LED fit inside of it

1) Lift one front wheel with a car jack. Take out the front wheel arch, take off the wheel and take of the lid at the back of the headlight unit.

2) When you twist and take the halogen bulb out of its place you see that it fit into this rectangular shaped holder.
My LED didn't fit in there, so it needed to be cut to a circular shape:

3) Now the LED can be fitted and placed back (it is not necessary to take out the headlight). The cool elements can be put inside the headlights (not visible from the outside) and the driver unit of my LED was fixed with a Tyrap in there as well 0:)

4) After connecting the wire again, restart the car, it should work. If not: reconnect it 180degrees and try again.

5) Close the headlight with the lid, put the wheel arches inside and don't forget to bolt on the wheels :wink:

1.Volt: 8-32V DC
2.LED: CREE XHP70
3.IP 68
4.Colour: 6000K
5.Material: heat pipe and 6063 aluminium
6.Heat dissipation principle: the combination of conduction and heat dissipation technology
7.Lumen: 6600LM/bulb, 13200Lm/set
8.Power: 55w/bulb, 110w/set
9.Work life: ≥ 30000 hours

Attachments

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like a nice upgrade- are they still holding up? Was going to do HID / Xenon but the LED bulbs have really come a long way in the past year.
They are still bright and working! Makes the car look much younger.

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
Thank you - same brand of LED as the thread OP or a different brand? That's a great tip on the adapter- I'll see if they have anything on US side of ebay.
Not the same ones, but just some cheap chinese ones just the same..

It's best to look for ones where you can remove the H7 retaining plate so you can install them/the adapter without too much hassle.

I've just ordered a set of these for a friend:

2x H7 Original PHILIPS 18000LM 180W LED Headlight Conversion Kit Plug Bulb 6500K | eBay

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
Those look great! Don't you need 55W/bulb, otherwise the car gets a malfunction?
I've learnt to not take the wattage on these types of led sets very seriously, claims of wattage outputs and real wattage consumption tend to greatly differ...
The only real way to know is to install them and have a pair of Canbus decoders/cancellors on hand in case you need them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've learnt to not take the wattage on these types of led sets very seriously, claims of wattage outputs and real wattage consumption tend to greatly differ...
The only real way to know is to install them and have a pair of Canbus decoders/cancellors on hand in case you need them.
Can you elaborate on this, please? Some of my main thoughts...

• If matching the wattage is the only way to prevent an error code without having to incorporate a CAN-Bus decoder, is there a reason we wouldn't want to do it?
  • Is 55W considered low for LEDs?
  • What does using a CAN-Bus decoder entail? Is it a one-time action to override any error codes that fire?

Any insight is appreciated. I'm definitely looking to update the output and appearance of my high and low beams for my halogen setup instead of pursuing an HID/Bi-Xenon retrofit.

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
The problem with trying to match the exact wattage to the same as the 55w needed by the car with the typical led kits sold on eBay for example is the lack of accuracy of the sellers in their info...if you go looking through the hundreds of kits on sale you'll find the exact same lights claimimg to have 55w, 110w, 200w etc etc.
Often the wattage claimed is actually the sum of the two bulbs together (the same being true of the claimed Lumens) and is more often than not, the wattage that the seller "estimates" the light output to be, not the actual wattage of the leds.
Another thing you'll find is that even the kits sold as "error free" or "Canbus" will often put in the listing, that this is in 99% of the cases and that in some modern cars, like Mercedes or BMW cancellors may be needed.....

More than the wattage of the leds, I'd look at the "claimed" Lumens..

The cancellor just plugs in inline before the led bulb and is a resistance that basically guarantees the Canbus system will note a draw the same as a 55w halogen bulb.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
The problem with trying to match the exact wattage to the same as the 55w needed by the car with the typical led kits sold on eBay for example is the lack of accuracy of the sellers in their info...if you go looking through the hundreds of kits on sale you'll find the exact same lights claimimg to have 55w, 110w, 200w etc etc.
Often the wattage claimed is actually the sum of the two bulbs together (the same being true of the claimed Lumens) and is more often than not, the wattage that the seller "estimates" the light output to be, not the actual wattage of the leds.
Another thing you'll find is that even the kits sold as "error free" or "Canbus" will often put in the listing, that this is in 99% of the cases and that in some modern cars, like Mercedes or BMW cancellors may be needed.....

More than the wattage of the leds, I'd look at the "claimed" Lumens..

The cancellor just plugs in inline before the led bulb and is a resistance that basically guarantees the Canbus system will note a draw the same as a 55w halogen bulb.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I guess I'm a bit hesitant to buy some bulbs now...hah.
Any recommendations for bulbs and/or CAN-Bus decoder?

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
220 Posts
i used the Phillips Extreme Vision halogen bulbs and adjusted my headlight beam pattern slightly. The headlight adjustment takes 30 seconds with a 7 mm Allen wrench. I am very satisfied with the look/color of the bulbs and the light output is good.

·
Registered
64 Posts
update- I scored a pair of Spyder xenon projector headlights with led's on Amazon Warehouse Deals for... umm... $130 shipped. (say what!!). yes no joke. open box deal and one of the lamps had a broken rearward mounting bracket. that is it! if you have ever used "Q Bond" adhesive kit from amazon, you can fix this type of plastic good as new in about 30 seconds.

These Spyders are the HID set and require D2S bulbs. So I bought a Morimoto 35w 5500k D2S HID kit for $150 shipped, from a Morimoto dealer. Let me tell you these kits are no joke. they are very high quality, their HID bulbs are identical to Phillips in construction and materials. It is not even in the same class as the cheap kits on amazon.

The wiring was very easy as far as hooking up the HID housings to the OE wiring and getting rid of the halogen headlights.

It looks very bad ass. the 5500k HID matches the spyder LEDS just right -

I was going to post some pics but guess what!!! A damn mouse got into the engine area last night and chewed some wiring. I was greeted today with car not starting, blown fuse for fuel pump, SRS light on cluster, and windows will not pop back up when door is closed.

I temporarily fixed a frayed wire that was an obvious short, replaced the fuel pump fuse and drive it to the dealership. insurance claim coming- thank goodness I just switched to a ZERO deductible on my comprehensive. What timing right? Taken out by a mouse... arrgh.

I am thinking of telling my dealer to change the canada spec "always on" DRL headlights even with switch in position 0. I would prefer the manual setting where they only come on at dusk with 'auto' position. I think you can only do that with STAR right? I do not have the DRL auto/manual option in the cluster lighting settings menu.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am thinking of telling my dealer to change the canada spec "always on" DRL headlights even with switch in position 0. I would prefer the manual setting where they only come on at dusk with 'auto' position. I think you can only do that with STAR right? I do not have the DRL auto/manual option in the cluster lighting settings menu.
Too bad about the wiring... :(

The DRL are the parking bulbs or do you mean the fog lights? The dealer set the "cornering light" option on, but I didn't know there was a DRL option as well :)

Much light with LED headlights and LEG fog lights :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Too bad about the wiring... :(

The DRL are the parking bulbs or do you mean the fog lights? The dealer set the "cornering light" option on, but I didn't know there was a DRL option as well :)
The DRL's are the halogen low beams. there is an option to have them always on even if the headlight switch is set to off. I plan on revising the wiring so the spyder leds act as DRL's and are always on, and have the xenon low beams come on auto at dusk. But I guess the dealer has to use the computer to shut off the forced low beam DRL operation.

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK350
1,052 Posts
Not the same ones, but just some cheap chinese ones just the same..

It's best to look for ones where you can remove the H7 retaining plate so you can install them/the adapter without too much hassle.

I've just ordered a set of these for a friend:

2x H7 Original PHILIPS 18000LM 180W LED Headlight Conversion Kit Plug Bulb 6500K | eBay
Hi, can you tell me if the units you ordered for your friend (I assume an SLK friend :smile: ) fitted and worked ok without giving a CanBus error?
Thanks.

·
*Registered
2009 SLK55 AMG
306 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK350
1,052 Posts

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,863 Posts
Hi Trev,
No, I took the easy option and fiitted Philips Xtreme Vision +130s as recommended by @Delucas in this thread http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-ge...first-longish-trip-better-headlamp-bulbs.html
They seem much better than the normal bulbs but, having not used LEDs, I can't say if they're as good.
Mike.
Ive yet to come across a decent set of led bulbs that

1 are well made
2 fit easily
3 long lasting ( 4 years plus )
4 dont give can bus errors
5 correct light pattern
6 e marked

As soon as a member reports one that does all the above ill try one .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.