Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I thought I would let you all know how I done this as some of the info is scatered and and a little difficult for me to follow .I bought the slk 171 for the wifey with accident damage .,the dash had to be replaced ,both air bags and module .To replace the clock spring ,dissconect battery. remove the steering wheel ( torx cap screws recesed to the back of the steering wheel arms ) on the rear of the airbag there is a small black plug and the two airbag plugs ,the coloured clips can be teased out of these ,then tease out the plugs themselves with a fine terminal driver . the center nut on steering colum needs removing giving you access to the main steering colum. Under the colum to your right gives you access to the torx cap screw ,a reccess in the plastic cover hides it ,if you remove it you can slide the whole top section of the colum out .Undeneath there are two small torx screws which hold the outer plastic cover in place ,remove it by sliding the inner and outer sections apart.to remove the clock spring there are three small torx screws on the top outer edge ,remove these and the clock spring will slide out of its terminals .The next part is the bank angle sensor which tells the computer at which angle the steering wheel is positioned to operate the Electronic stability program (Just utube it, it is easier to understand how this life saving system works) part 2 will follow this

·
Founding Member 2006
108,901 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. Help us help you.
Update like this: ‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. NOT updated in your ‘garage’.

Don’t be shy. We don’t bite. Post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car) free.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
replace clock spring and angle sensor part 2

in my previos post I explained how to remove these items ,now to replace them .The old angle sensor has two small clips on the rear which can be eased out with a small terminal driver ,Before replacing the new one follow instructions on the sensor ,I cant remember if it is clockwise or anti clockwise ,but it explaines on the sensor ,turn the center bezel until it stops then turn it back two full turns, there is 2 arrows on the edge of the bezel and they need to line up if they dont just turn it to line up as they will be close ,clip the sensor into place carfull not to turn the center ,The next sensor the coil spring ,this will have arrows which line up ,and with carefull jiggling it should drop into place ,put the three small screws back in drop it back into the outer sleeve and fix the two small screws to hold it in place ,making sure it has slotted in perfectly .The rest is just the reversal , when the battery is conected and ignition is turned on and engine started, turn the steering from lock to lock two or three times ,the esp light may stay on for a few stop and starts ,have a little patience it will go off eventually ,there should be no clicking at all from the steering wheel while turning it cheers hope this helps someone

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.