Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a continuation of my thread Headlamp difference between Xenon and non-Xenon where I was originally intending to replace the whole headlight. I got quotes of about £250 (second hand!) each.

However, if it's only the bracket(s) that's broken (as it is in my case), they can be found on eBay (that's for mine, where only the right one was broken - check the correct part number for your car, model and side!) for under £50. The ones I got where brand new, but I'm told MB takes about £75 for them.

I was also in a bit of luck (less work) in that only ONE of the THREE brackets was broken. Didn't save on the cost though, you still need the repair kit which come with all three brackets :).
Automotive tire Hood Tire Automotive design Motor vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Wood

What you have to do is to .. (jikes - it was scary!) saw off that broken part, WITHOUT cutting or sawing into the headlight it self. As in, only that part that sticks up should be cut off.
Ok, so I could have done it a bit better, not scratch it up so much, but it's not at all bad IMO.
Wood Automotive exterior Gas Composite material Auto part
Tire Automotive tire Hood Tread Wheel

Be carefull NOT to saw off the "box" that that bracket sticks up from! That is where the new bracket will slide in and around..

Trim off any protruding parts and trim it down with a sharp knife so it's nice and smooth. Doesn't have to be perfect, it won't show (new bracket will cover it) and there's plenty of space "inside" the new bracket.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
Wood Gas Font Metal Automotive wheel system

Then it's an easy matter of just sliding in the new bracket. It's quite a tight fit. Do NOT trim off to much - it's SUPPOSED to be tight! Not so much that you have to use massive amounts of force to get it on, just a light tapp of the hammer.
Automotive tire Wood Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Machine tool Gas
Wood Bumper Automotive tire Material property Automotive exterior

Then just screw in the two screws that MB, in quite an ingenious way actually, have already put in place for this purpose - it did look weird in the "original" state - empty screw holes meant for nothing.. But it's quite obvious that they where there for a reason.
Sleeve Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Sports equipment

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As for removing the headlight itself, there's plenty of HOWTOs and even a few YouTube videos, so I'm not going through that.

Other to say that the ones I saw require (!!) you to remove the bumper. I REALLY (!!) didn't want to do that, and after a bit of tinkering and pondering (solving problems is my day job ;) ), I figured out that it IS possible to take it out through the wheel well.

You'll have to remove the wheel and the front half of the wheel well lining anyway (which is very easy) to get to all screws etc, so taking out the headlight that way is much easier..

There is a metal bracket that holds the wing and the side of the bumper which is in the way.

Removing that was also fairly easy, loosen the two screws that holds the side of the bumper and two screws that holds the wing/fender. These four was close together (didn't think about taking a photo of it unfortunately) and is at the place where the wing/fender meet just next to the headlight.

Then remove the bottom two bolts on the bracket and that metal bracket falls off.. The third, hidden, screw for the headlight is also attached to that bracket. "Wiggling" the headlight out of there rearward was a bit tricky, but not at all difficult. Just take care in not scratching the glass. Once the headlight is out, remove all the connectors.

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,259 Posts
Other bumper removal techniques here:

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought I took a photo of the wheel well when I changed the light bulb a few weeks ago and finally found it.

The bracket I talked about is circled in red. It's easier than it looks to remove - remove the four screws (two for the fender and two for the bumper) at the upper part (horisontal) and two at the bottom holding it to the chassis.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

1 - 5 of 5 Posts