Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi,

My AMG wheel caps have arrived and they look really smart, the only issue is I don't have a jack.

Is there a way of popping the old ones off without taking a wheel off and poking them out?

I've tried using strong tape to pull at them and was going to try a flathead screwdriver but am concerned about damaging the wheel?

Is there a trick to it?

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,011 Posts
There are several youtube videos on the procedure but i used a very small baby flat head screwdriver to get under the 'lip' of the caps. even covering the tip with material/micro fibre cloth helps. of course, if you are not going to sell the old caps, who cares, just pop em out!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are several youtube videos on the procedure but i used a very small baby flat head screwdriver to get under the 'lip' of the caps. even covering the tip with material/micro fibre cloth helps. of course, if you are not going to sell the old caps, who cares, just pop em out!
Cheers I'll give that a go. Was more concerned about damaging the actual wheel, and might as well keep them for when I sell the car.

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,011 Posts
new caps as cheap as $18 in the states

·
Banned
974 Posts
Consider taking the trouble to remove each wheel in order to do other jobs as well, such as clean down the wheel arch, maybe paint the callipers, clean the back of each wheel & after replacing the centre caps replace each wheel using a tiny dab of Co pperease on the hub/wheel faces so they don't fuse together. Subsequent wheel removal especially in an emergency will thus be easier.
If you have a trolley jack with attachment that saves you removing the sill covers to access the jacking point so much the quicker.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What dya think!

Attachments

·
Registered 2012 SLK250 CDI
291 Posts
hi there ,
i was looking at them caps on ebay and had been thinking about buying a set , now seeing them on a black car i am not so sure on the colored ones for a black car ... car looks great dude have you had it lowered as well ??????

·
Banned
974 Posts
hi there ,
i was looking at (them) those caps on ebay and had been thinking about buying a set , now seeing them on a black car i am not so sure on the colored ones for a black car ... car looks great dude have you had it lowered as well ??????
I swopped mine for plain black with chrome 3 pointed star which in opinion Mercedes should have done.
The bonnet badge looks old fashioned which of course it is.
Car looks lowered possibly because outline of wheel arches are in shadow.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi there ,
i was looking at them caps on ebay and had been thinking about buying a set , now seeing them on a black car i am not so sure on the colored ones for a black car ... car looks great dude have you had it lowered as well ??????
I bought both and when I offered the monochrome ones up to the car it just didn't work as well for me as the slightly coloured ones. I'm going to be blacking the car out when I get a chance, de-chrome everything, I've just not decided what route to go down; gloss or matte black or dark carbon fibre wrap on all the chrome bits and maybe wrap the rear splitter etc will be getting the wheels done in black or swapping for the black and chrome 10 spoke '55AMG ones. I'll reconsider which centre caps then when it's a bit darker, but for the mo they do it for me- when it's clean at least.

And yes, it may or may not be a fair bit lower than standard haha.

Looks great!
Cheers dude!

I swopped mine for plain black with chrome 3 pointed star which in opinion Mercedes should have done.
The bonnet badge looks old fashioned which of course it is.
Car looks lowered possibly because outline of wheel arches are in shadow.
Yeh I think if I go down the black alloy route then the black and chrome centre caps off the C63 would look spot on!

Bonnet badges seem to be a bit up in the air at the moment, I cant remember if white rabbit ever managed to get one that fit.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,371 Posts
I bought both and when I offered the monochrome ones up to the car it just didn't work as well for me as the slightly coloured ones. I'm going to be blacking the car out when I get a chance, de-chrome everything, I've just not decided what route to go down; gloss or matte black or dark carbon fibre wrap on all the chrome bits and maybe wrap the rear splitter etc will be getting the wheels done in black or swapping for the black and chrome 10 spoke '55AMG ones. I'll reconsider which centre caps then when it's a bit darker, but for the mo they do it for me- when it's clean at least.

And yes, it may or may not be a fair bit lower than standard haha.

Cheers dude!

Yeh I think if I go down the black alloy route then the black and chrome centre caps off the C63 would look spot on!

Bonnet badges seem to be a bit up in the air at the moment, I cant remember if white rabbit ever managed to get one that fit.
The hood/bonnet badge/emblem for the r172 is only available with a blue wreath. The eBay one that shows a black wreath is really blue if you read the description carefully: Genuine New MERCEDES BONNET BADGE For C218 CLS 63 AMG & CLS 350 4Matic 2011+ | eBay

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The hood/bonnet badge/emblem for the r172 is only available with a blue wreath. The eBay one that shows a black wreath is really blue if you read the description carefully: Genuine New MERCEDES BONNET BADGE For C218 CLS 63 AMG & CLS 350 4Matic 2011+ | eBay
Ah, I'm tempted to order a blue one and try and find a black one in the same size and see if they can be removed from their fixings; let's be honest these ebay ones are only going to be glued together and with not much glue. If they come apart easily then maybe with a little bit of adhesive again we can do a DIY black badge.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,371 Posts
Ah, I'm tempted to order a blue one and try and find a black one in the same size and see if they can be removed from their fixings; let's be honest these ebay ones are only going to be glued together and with not much glue. If they come apart easily then maybe with a little bit of adhesive again we can do a DIY black badge.
Cool, let us know if that works out.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't seem to find a black one at 57mm, I tried the steering wheel ones I bought and haven't fitted yet but they're abut 5mm too small to look right on the bonnet (52mm maybe?).

If anyone comes across 57mm black badges please let me know so I can try and fettle them a bit to fit the car. Will update with any info that I come across / how I get on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.