Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's 4 bolts.. what size socket wrench?
Do I need to disconnect the battery for some reason? [please say no lol]
Once the seat is out, is it easy to get it to lay flat for painting?
Underneath is there one main box that connects the heating element etc or are there multiple connections?

Danke

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
What you need is a star (Torx) socket 12mm inside. I picked up a set at Harbor Freight for $9.39 since I thought it would be a 1 time use. I have however, used them a lot for many other things and they are holding up very well. (The HF # is 67898 Impact external socket set.)

As to the electric connections, my seats have 2 separate plugs and I don't have seat heaters. They are easily accessible from the front if you raise the seat all the way. And you don't have to disconnect the battery. Just be sure the key is off since one of the plugs has to do with the air bags. Hope this helps.

PS. If you can find someone to help muscle the seats out it will be a whole lot easier. They are heavy!

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you check the state regulation on those side markers? My Illinois color has to be amber, but im now considering smoked side markers to match the headlights/grille.

I will do a write up once I get them out and paint them. The idea is to change the siam beige in the car with colorbond to a milk chocolate brown color. It's a slow process lol.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did you check the state regulation on those side markers? My Illinois color has to be amber, but im now considering smoked side markers to match the headlights/grille.

I will do a write up once I get them out and paint them. The idea is to change the siam beige in the car with colorbond to a milk chocolate brown color. It's a slow process lol.
Nope. I didn't check. It has amber light bulbs. Oops! What now?

Oh well, sorry ociffer, I didn't no!

(Heehee. I misspelled officer and know).

Ok, I'm just bored. Time is so slow when you are waiting on parts you ordered.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I actually have just removed my seats for dying. Here's how I did it:

1.Move seat fully forward, base and tilt.
2.Using the torx socket remove the two rear bolts. I had to put a pipe on my ratchet for extra leverage. The bolts were very tight.
3.Move seat base back to access front bolts,leave the back tilted forward.
4.Remove the front bolts. Depending on what you're doing with your seat now would be the time to move the seat back back to a normal position.
5.Place something on the rocker area, I used a big towel, to protect it and lift the seat halfway out and tilt over to access the connectors. Once disconnected use a 17mm socket to remove the seat belt bolt. Lift the seat out. They are pretty heavy. The drivers side is a little more awkward due to the steering wheel.

Lucky for me I have a mid rise lift and I have the car off the ground about 20". Makes lifting much easier. Oh and put the top down if possible.
I would recommend putting the car on jack stands to make accessing all the interior pieces much easier.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Chick, are you going to do a write up? I just ordered headlights, fog lights and clear markers.
Where did you order the clear markers and fog lights from? I'll be doing this toward the end of the year. Possibly wait til taxes. But I need the markers sooner as I ripped the cover off one yesterday fooling with it.

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried to remove the seats over the weekend. I used the 12mm socket..it was too large.. I went down 2 sizes.. found something that fit, bolts wouldn't BUDGE..

thoughts?

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Either start lifting weights:D or get a breaker bar for the socket set. Perhaps a pipe on the ratchet handle. When they do let go they will do so with a snap, so be careful of your knuckles.

·
Registered
274 Posts
go to a local repair shop flutter your eyelashes and ask if someone could just crack the bolts loose the seats will still be safe to use to get you home but then you will be able to remove the bolts

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
go to a local repair shop flutter your eyelashes and ask if someone could just crack the bolts loose the seats will still be safe to use to get you home but then you will be able to remove the bolts
Brilliant! I get the windrestrictor put in monday, ill have my indy do that for me.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
I will do a write up once I get them out and paint them. The idea is to change the siam beige in the car with colorbond to a milk chocolate brown color.
Please don't be offended but why would you want brown seats in a car with that lovely colour paint?? I know it is down to personal taste but wouldn't a burgundy type colour be better?:confused:

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Because I want the offset color [which is now siam beige] to match the interior modification color. This is what I've done inside: changed the shift knob and armrest with a different embossed leather.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Well that will certainly be unique. Good Luck with it!

Can I reiterate what others have said with regard to the tight nuts - if you can get a piece of metal tubing to extend your ratchet or indeed use a long torque wrench instead and the increased leverage should make it easy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts