Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to remove the front and rear bumpers and both door sills to do a bit of anti rust work. I found the How To Guides for removing the bumpers but the web site with the images has an error. Does anyone know of another source of the guides as I can only find thumbnail versions of the images which are very difficult to read?

I can find little info about removing the sills apart from them being held on by clips. Underneath there seems to be 2 small bolts at the front, 4 small plastic expanding clips in the middle and the two large rubber bungs seem to be large versions of the expanding clips. I assume that once they are removed its just the clips holding it on. To minimise the chance of damage can anyone give me advice on how to free the clips? Do I pull horizontally or vertically?

Chris

·
Hopeless *** owner
102 Posts
Like Chris, I am in need of removing the front bumper cover so any information regarding these would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I can't help you with the bumpers but I have worked on the rockers.

On each rocker panel there are clips as follows:
Three between the front tire and door.
Five or six, I don't remember exactly, at the door sill.
Two between the door and rear tire.

They can be popped loose with a plastic pry bar from the gap between the fender and rocker panel. There is a rubber trim piece there that is probably deteriorated so be careful. When I got the ones at the fenders loose the ones in the door sill just popped off.

They are also pretty easy to break. While I ordered a few when I ordered the trim pieces there are a couple that I broke that are different from what I had. As far as I can tell it takes three different clips for each front fender. The rear fender clips and the sill clips are different still. I'm trying to find the part numbers for the front fender clips.

I'm working on a diy thread for changing out the rubber trim piece. I'll post some pics later.

·
Registered
246 Posts
To clarify, the above information pertains only to the clips at the top of the rocker panel. I did not remove the entire panel to replace the rubber trim. I only pulled the clips on the top loose. I have no clue how they're attached underneath.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can remember when cars had "Rocker Covers" but what is a "Rocker Panel"? Is it something behind the Sill?

Chris

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,402 Posts
The rocker panel is the lowest body panel on the side of the car located between the two wheelwells. In most cars, only the edge of the rocker panel is visible when the doors are closed since it supports the bottom of the door. The rocker panel can feature the manufacturer's logo and is usually polished for aesthetic appeal. In light trucks, it can also work as a step to facilitate easier entry into the vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like Chris, I am in need of removing the front bumper cover so any information regarding these would be much appreciated.
Below is link to image showing how to remove front bumper. When saved the image is readable but only just. Also on the page is a similar image of how to remove the rear bumper also just about readable.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1334140-slk-230-rear-bumper-removal.html#post2765346

I hope to try a test removal of one of the sills in the next few days.

Chris

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
11 Posts
I know some time has passed, but checking with you to see if you ever put together your DIY on the rocker panels. I'm wanting to pull them and replace the deteriorated (missing) rubber gasket/trim between the panel and bottom of body. It all does indeed look pretty delicate. Do you recall the part numbers or your source for the rubber piece and likely replacement clips and pins I might need. Thanks very much (my project is 2002 SLK320)...Jim

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,178 Posts
Not tried the work.

But I can say that if you double click some thumbnails they open in a new window and are larger.

To get back to the thread just use the back arrow at the top.

Or, right click and check 'open in new tab'.

I often do this with pic of the day when I can't make some out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.